How did you feel when the game ended?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Apatheria
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: How did you feel when the game ended?

Post by Apatheria »

Simply put, I was stunned.

I wasn't expecting it. I wasn't ready for it. It hit me, and it hit me hard; I felt depressed for the remainder of that evening. I simply didn't see it coming, but it brought the game's mystery full circle with a remarkably emotional payoff. And on repeat play-throughs, it seems like none of the endings yield much in the way of catharsis. Even the "good" ending is tragic, but told so well that it tugs at the heart strings without feeling like heavy handed.

I felt immediately that I had to give due credit to the developers for creating a great story with a powerful ending.
BlackSheep
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackSheep »

Well. I sat there and kept thinking for like 10 minutes. When I got up (I was sitting on bed), I noticed I was shaking. Really hard. I went to the bathroom to take a shower. The water was really really cold. A voice in my head said "no, please, no more cold things". Then I broke down and cried. Like a baby, I assume.

I guess it explains everything.
The game plays you as much as you play it.
Midori-chan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Midori-chan »

I was awe-struck. From the beginning I thought that Harry was in counselling because of his daughter's death\disappearance, but when Harry made it to the light house and the picture became clear (who was in counselling and who died\disappeared) I was stunned. Cheryl was so sad it was heartbreaking, the whole thing started making sense and I remembered all those videos Cheryl kept replaying of her father were so sad. I was upset for days, I want to give it another go but I don't think I can handle doing it without breaking down and crying.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/profile/Midori-tan/]Profile[/url]\\[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Midori-tan]My Anime List[/url]\\[url=http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Midori-tan]My Manga List[/url]
mjm800
Just Passing Through

Post by mjm800 »

I was sad...I was a drunk and I messed up my kids life. It was the saddest SH ending I have ever experienced. I liked the ending so much I didn't want to play again I thought the ending was perfect.
Harlequin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Harlequin »

Honestly, I kind of saw it coming. I always end up thinking "Well maybe this is what happens at the end," when I'm playing a game and that thought alters depending on what happens. But at the part in the principal's office in the school, that thought went into my mind. So I wasn't really surprised when it turned out that way.

But I was sad. I remember bawling the first time I played SH3 and
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Heather comes home to find Harry dead
(hell, I still cry at that). So this just seemed like another version of that, albeit a little less bloody. I may not have been taken aback with surprise, but I was emotional.
Butcher Incarnate
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Butcher Incarnate »

I finished it a couple hours ago and I was shocked, I did not see that coming, I got the ending where harry keeps getting pimped slapped by his wife,it also reminded me of shutter island in a way.
When Death Comes, It Comes For All.
Axiomatic
Just Passing Through

Post by Axiomatic »

I was awe struck, dumbfounded, etc. I didn't see it coming, but I was pleasantly surprised. My heart sank since I finally understood it was Harry that died, the person in the sessions with Kaufman was Cheryl, and it was that ending that made me play the game another four times (one after the other). I remember the music that plays throughout that final scene really breaking my heart.
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

i never really played this game, but i watched blind let's play for it

i nearly cried
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

As soon as I started to play, I was sure they put the scenes with the psychiatrist in first person view to hide us something.

But I really understood what was going on when you enter the park. Indeed, a few years ago, I wrote a summary for a short story I planned to write, and the twist was almost the same.

But still, I thought it was not only clever (even if they stole my idea :p) but also very moving. It was a beautiful ending, and I was happy (for lack of a better word) with the one I got.
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

Harlequin wrote:Honestly, I kind of saw it coming. I always end up thinking "Well maybe this is what happens at the end," when I'm playing a game and that thought alters depending on what happens. But at the part in the principal's office in the school, that thought went into my mind. So I wasn't really surprised when it turned out that way.

But I was sad. I remember bawling the first time I played SH3 and
Heather comes home to find Harry dead
(hell, I still cry at that). So this just seemed like another version of that, albeit a little less bloody. I may not have been taken aback with surprise, but I was emotional.
Yeah, I was the same, I found the ending to be abit predictable imho.. It was still an enjoyable story with a good ending albeit one I did see coming.
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
Brispir
Just Passing Through

Post by Brispir »

To be honest, I kinda saw it coming. Then the first thing I did was try to make a connection to the first SH game... as if this is the way Alessa / Cheryl remembered the first game happening. I guess I didn't get emotional because my father and I had some... uh.... problems I don't wanna go into at this time. Usually at the end of a SH game, I sit there trying to make sense out of what's going on.
silenced angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by silenced angel »

jeremyjh wrote:This and 2 were the only ending where I was shocked beyond believe the IMO one of the top reasons to play this game is to see the ending cut scene after going through it all.
My feelings exactly...
nanook in heaven...
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Confused. Can someone explain to me what ending I got, please?
At the end there's a cut-scene of Cheryl with her camera and Harry leaving Dahlia. He says to Cheryl that it's not her fault that they don't love each other anymore and then leaves. Then, at the credits, comes Dr. K's evaluation (a review of the player's actions more than likely).
Is this the normal ending?
By the way, I'm not even sure what my characters were... You know, sexy this and that...
My Cybil was blonde and wore sunglasses, just like the one in the first game. And Dahlia was a brunette.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

@Mephisto- You got the "Love Lost" ending which in my opinion is the best and most "normal" ending to get.

Well the first time I played I was stunned when I found out who sat across from Dr.K. The ending was very emotional, and I feel many people can relate to the themes of this game: high school problems, depression, divorce, sex, stealing, lost loved ones, etc.

The second time I played it (which was just now since my PS3 is broken) I got the same ending. On my first playthrough I accidently answered that alcohol question incorrectly ( I saw that guy drink, and I thought I was that guy, but of course that was Dr.K) and wanted to see the clues that implied it was Heather at the clinic and that Harry really was dead. I still got sort of emotional, but not as much
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

^ I already figured everything out by checking on GameFAQS. But thanks, Glenn ;)
Halcyon
Just Passing Through

Post by Halcyon »

I spoiled the ending for myself too, but weirdly I started questioning if what I had read was true as the game confused me so much, so by the time I got to the lighthouse I was actually still a little shocked :roll:

For me SH:SM really captured the atmosphere of Silent Hill, the feelings of isolation, confusion, loneliness and despair, which is the aspect of the series that I love the most. The sadness of the ending (I got the love lost one) beautifully finished off the whole experience for me. Compared with Silent Hill 4 which I'm slogging through at the moment and have no emotional investment in whatsoever, SH:SM was simply outstanding. I'm going to wait a while so I forget a lot of it and play it again, though I'll change my actions to try and get a different ending.

The only gripe I had was the psych report at the ending, I played as myself (if you know what I mean) but the report was way off, so that broke the 4th wall for me and brought me back to the real world with a thud.
Here in the darkness I know myself...
Midori-chan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Midori-chan »

[Deleted: forgot I have posted on here before]
[url=http://myanimelist.net/profile/Midori-tan/]Profile[/url]\\[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Midori-tan]My Anime List[/url]\\[url=http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Midori-tan]My Manga List[/url]
Pastucci
Just Passing Through

Post by Pastucci »

I personally felt so sad for Cheryl, I mean, so far to say I was lamenting for her. It was the saddest/emotional experience I have had since I played Silent Hill 2 and 4.

Poor Cheryl...... :(
Heaven's Night
<3