Theory on Lisa Garland

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

SilentRobert23
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Theory on Lisa Garland

Post by SilentRobert23 »

SHF wrote: First, the Lisa in the game is based off of Cheryl's nurse when she ( Alessa) cut herself on Harry's drinking glass when they were on vacation.

Lisa only exists because Cheryl created her. Once Cheryl accepted that fact, Lisa has no need to exist any more. ( this is what I meant when Cheryl "kills" her off, she accepts that these manifestations are not reality)

The reason why Lisa dies from overdosing on pills symbolizes Cheryl's use of drugs.
What's this about her nurse?

To the other two points, I disagree. Lisa has more of a purpose than that, this being her feelings of guilt, as previously mentioned; this purpose is served by dying. No evidence indicates that her death was a symptom of lucidity.

Lisa doesn't necessarily die of an overdose. We don't know what causes her death, we only know that she takes the amount we give her. Her self-medication, in this instance, was not a reference to drug use, either; that subject was only even lightly touched on with her earlier statements, when she explains how nurses and doctors work the hours they do.
country matters
SHF
Historical Society Historian

Post by SHF »

What's this about her nurse?
^
There is an echo message/voicemail that you get that talks about/mentions Cheryl's nurse.

To the other two points, I disagree. Lisa has more of a purpose than that, this being her feelings of guilt, as previously mentioned; this purpose is served by dying. No evidence indicates that her death was a symptom of lucidity.
^ and no evidence indicates that it isn't.

Lisa doesn't necessarily die of an overdose. We don't know what causes her death, we only know that she takes the amount we give her. Her self-medication, in this instance, was not a reference to drug use, either; that subject was only even lightly touched on with her earlier statements, when she explains how nurses and doctors work the hours they do.[/quote]
^
She admits to abusing the pills, and asks Harry to fetch some for her. She then proceeds to take them, and when Harry comes back, Lisa is dead. One would rightly assume it's from the pills.
Or it could be from when Ted Bundy bludgeoned her face in, since she is bleeding pretty bad
Or maybe Cybil shot her, then waited for Harry to find her body, so she can frame her?
How else would she of died?
All we see is her take pills, and she is found shortly afterward dead and bleeding.

And Lisa's self medicating is drug abuse, it's just a prettier way of saying it. Just like some people drink to self medicate. Same thing
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The pills have nothing to do with it. She died because she fucking went to sleep after taking depressants and then going to sleep, instead of seeing a goddamn doctor. She dies no matter what but you're supposed to feel guilty anyway. That's how Cheryl feels regarding Cheryl.

Her death has absolutely nothing to do with Cheryl realizing anything, because the delusion doesn't show any signs of dissolving for atleast another hour and a half of gameplay. Besides, when Cheryl dispels illusions, she doesn't give them death scenes; they just stop showing up. Or they freeze and break apart.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Just in case, there are major spoilers for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories all through this post, so don't read if you haven't played.
SHF wrote: First, the Lisa in the game is based off of Cheryl's nurse when she ( Alessa) cut herself on Harry's drinking glass when they were on vacation.
I'm aware of the nurse who looked after Cheryl when she was in the hospital. I wouldn't be surprised if Lisa was based off that nurse, considering it seemed to be a major part of her memory.
SHF wrote:Lisa only exists because Cheryl created her. Once Cheryl accepted that fact, Lisa has no need to exist any more. ( this is what I meant when Cheryl "kills" her off, she accepts that these manifestations are not reality)
Again, Lisa wasn't around long enough to have much of an impact on Harry/Cheryl and the player. Creating her then just killing her off because Cheryl suddenly decided she was sane enough to realise that one person out of the entire cast aren't real doesn't make any sense (why Lisa and not another, more important/prominent character like Dahlia? Or, you know, Harry?). Killing Lisa because of a brief moment of sanity screws up the flow of the story, especially considering it's sudden and out of no-where. A good story teller not only has a good reason for what they do, but good timing. What you're proposing is anything but good timing, and for such a seemingly throw-away* character as Lisa, it's anything but good reason. Now, having her there to only die as a way of showing Cheryl's guilt for Harry is a good reason, and good timing (well, any time before Harry gets to the lighthouse is good timing).

*I don't mean that she is a throw-away and unimportant character, just that at first she doesn't seem to add much to the story other than suggesting that she has daddy issues.
AuraTwilight wrote:The pills have nothing to do with it. She died because she fucking went to sleep after taking depressants and then going to sleep, instead of seeing a goddamn doctor. She dies no matter what but you're supposed to feel guilty anyway. That's how Cheryl feels regarding Cheryl.

Her death has absolutely nothing to do with Cheryl realizing anything, because the delusion doesn't show any signs of dissolving for atleast another hour and a half of gameplay. Besides, when Cheryl dispels illusions, she doesn't give them death scenes; they just stop showing up. Or they freeze and break apart.
I honestly love your straight forward manner. :)
SHF

Post by SHF »

Soulless-Shadow wrote:Just in case, there are major spoilers for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories all through this post, so don't read if you haven't played.
I'm aware of the nurse who looked after Cheryl when she was in the hospital. I wouldn't be surprised if Lisa was based off that nurse, considering it seemed to be a major part of her memory.
SHF wrote:Lisa only exists because Cheryl created her. Once Cheryl accepted that fact, Lisa has no need to exist any more. ( this is what I meant when Cheryl "kills" her off, she accepts that these manifestations are not reality)
Again, Lisa wasn't around long enough to have much of an impact on Harry/Cheryl and the player. Creating her then just killing her off because Cheryl suddenly decided she was sane enough to realise that one person out of the entire cast aren't real doesn't make any sense (why Lisa and not another, more important/prominent character like Dahlia? Or, you know, Harry?). Killing Lisa because of a brief moment of sanity screws up the flow of the story, especially considering it's sudden and out of no-where. A good story teller not only has a good reason for what they do, but good timing. What you're proposing is anything but good timing, and for such a seemingly throw-away* character as Lisa, it's anything but good reason. Now, having her there to only die as a way of showing Cheryl's guilt for Harry is a good reason, and good timing (well, any time before Harry gets to the lighthouse is good timing).

*I don't mean that she is a throw-away and unimportant character, just that at first she doesn't seem to add much to the story other than suggesting that she has daddy issues.
^

I guess this makes more sense. What the hell was I thinking? I honestly have trouble understanding things sometimes, even when I take notes during gameplay ( i have manila folders for all the silent hill games that i own)
Thank you guys for clearing this up.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]