Anybody else disapointed by this game?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Re: Anybody else disapointed by this game?

Post by Harrys_Girl »

simeonalo wrote:I'm pretty sure he tells it to Michelle and Lisa. Well, maybe not Lisa. But definitely Michelle.
He can tell everyone in the game (aside from Dahlia[that I know of]) about the crash. He equates it to being drunk when telling Cybil and Lisa. In that same regard, Lisa tells him that she crashed her car because she had taken "something" to relax and sleep then was called in and drove while under the influence. That conversation usually only happens if you are gunning for the Drunk Dad ending.

Michelle has always asked Harry about the crash from the games I've played. I always took it as a sign of people knowing things they shouldn't know. It was actually the first sign that Harry was not seeing the entire picture. W/ both Michelle and Lisa, they begin talking about the crash and Cheryl, w/o Harry mentioning them first... at least in some play throughs.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Then that means that they are literally manifestations, and elminates the theory of them being real people, right? It's comparible to how Maria already knows James' name without him telling her.
Humbordt
Just Passing Through

Post by Humbordt »

Kenji wrote:Not gonna lie, Humbordt, your bombastic entry made you look like a douche.

Now that you've explained yourself further, I think you've carried your point quite well. Took a little while, but you did it.
I'm not gonna lie either, that's not the first time I've been called a douche. And probably won't be the last. But I'm harmless, really. :twisted:

I just really hate this game, and if that came across as hatred of anybody who likes it, sorry, that wasn't what I was going for.

And when I say I hate it, I don't just mean it wasn't as good as older SH games, I mean I actively HATE Shattered Memories. I'm angry at it for existing (That's only stage two in the five stages of grief, so I'm not very far along in this thing--first comes denial, which I've finished, then anger, which is where I am now, then comes bargaining, depression, and finally acceptance. Am I equating the release of this game with some kind of horrible tragedy? Yes. Yes I am. Is that silly and childish? Yes. Yes it is. But I'm okay with that).
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Lol, bargaining stage will be fun.

"It's not...it's not so bad! Maybe Climax'll eventually release some weapons as some DLC! And..."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Humbordt
Just Passing Through

Post by Humbordt »

"Please, please, just let it all be a bad dream."

Which I guess, in a way, it was...
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

simeonalo wrote:Then that means that they are literally manifestations, and elminates the theory of them being real people, right? It's comparible to how Maria already knows James' name without him telling her.
That is what I took it to mean. That all of the people he interacts w/ was a manifestation. The same can be said for the fact that Lisa also asks about Cheryl before Harry mentions her.
SHF

Post by SHF »

Aside from the session with dr. kauffman, the video tape clip in in the beginning, and the ending (?), everything else is just delusions from memories.
Oh,yeah. The echoes are real.
Everything else is just a "dream"
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Though the echoes may be distorted, as indicated by the fact that they can change.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SHF

Post by SHF »

Distorted, yes. But:
The weight of the deer joel kills changes, as long with the mood of the text.
The fact remains is that joel killed his first deer. Thats the fact that never changes.
Also, how his father taunts him to shoot the deer. Yes, what is said changes, but its a fact that he shoots the deer.
Thats what is consistent.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That is true, but if the Echoes as a whole are distorted, they're not reliable. We can only use them circumstantially.
SHF

Post by SHF »

They are only reliable if there are consistencies.
You just gotta filter through the truths and the distortions.
Its just hidden, thats all.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, duh. That doesn't really address or negate anything I've said though.
DavTheProtagonist
Just Passing Through

Post by DavTheProtagonist »

I really liked Shattered Memories. It was a good take, a different perspective from the original game. I saw it as basically Silent Hill One with a Silent Hill 2 Aura. I really liked it, and the fact that you didn't fight made it different. You have your opinion though. But me and all my friends loved SHSM, infact one thought it was the best Silent Hill. I disagree on that, but its still a good game. All Silent Hills frightened me equally, and thats why I enjoy them. I also love in depth stories :D
When the radio began to static up... I... I think I pooped myself.
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

The only reason Im disappointed in this game, is the way Harry looks.
Harry Mason....REALLY!? Who is this guy? is this a joke?
This is not Harry, Cheryl. This is just some random guy posing as harry.
Since when did he drive a perenial car either. I don't remember that.

Everything else seems fine to me though. Just I can't stand the way He looks. argh
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Uh...it's an alternate universe. Of course things aren't going to be as you remember. That's the point.
Kitty Paine
Just Passing Through

Post by Kitty Paine »

I found the Wii version way too difficult if anything. Constantly swinging the remotes back and forth really hurts the arms after awhile and the monsters seem that much more aggressive then the PSP/PS2 versions.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Zeraylph wrote:The only reason Im disappointed in this game, is the way Harry looks.
Harry Mason....REALLY!? Who is this guy? is this a joke?
This is not Harry, Cheryl. This is just some random guy posing as harry.
Since when did he drive a perenial car either. I don't remember that.

Everything else seems fine to me though. Just I can't stand the way He looks. argh
Yeah, I'm not crazy about Harry's redesign either. Though I don't know if he should have necessarily looked exactly like the Harry from the old game... that would have been interesting, and I would have liked it, but considering how different the rest of the game is it probably wouldn't have been the right choice.

Giving him glasses was an interesting design choice, I thought. But something about his face just seemed, I dunno... kinda douchey to me. Or maybe just bland, I don't know. As a protagonist I don't love him, but he's at least serviceable for this game.

Personally I would have vastly preferred a straight up remake of the first game to this mess of a game. The first SH is still a classic and deserves to be played by a new generation of fans. It's also 1,000 times scarier, even in it's PS1 form. Would love to play it with upgraded graphics.
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

I won't lie. I was initially shocked and dissappointed by SM, but only because of the fact that it was severely NOT a remake which is what I was hoping for... and I still do, but with each subsequent playthrough, I find more and more reasons to like it. There is so much to do differently each time through with the tests and whatnot, and even if you dont comprehend 100% of what you're doing, it still adds a new level of gameplay.

As a seperate universe of SH, I approve of it wholeheartedly now. It doesn't fit with the other games, but it's a reallly unique game in itself.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

Tillerman wrote: Yeah, I'm not crazy about Harry's redesign either. Though I don't know if he should have necessarily looked exactly like the Harry from the old game... that would have been interesting, and I would have liked it, but considering how different the rest of the game is it probably wouldn't have been the right choice.

Giving him glasses was an interesting design choice, I thought. But something about his face just seemed, I dunno... kinda douchey to me. Or maybe just bland, I don't know. As a protagonist I don't love him, but he's at least serviceable for this game.

Personally I would have vastly preferred a straight up remake of the first game to this mess of a game. The first SH is still a classic and deserves to be played by a new generation of fans. It's also 1,000 times scarier, even in it's PS1 form. Would love to play it with upgraded graphics.
I also agree about the glasses being a nice touch. His face is disturbing me though. Even Cheryl freaks me out at times.
I have 3 words about the Therapist at the Normal Ending....Worst Therapist Ever. Throwing a wine cup into the wall in front of her...*sigh*

I wish Konami did a graphical remake of SH 1 as well. It could be for the newer array of fans.

Definitely SH 1 is scarier and more intense. Running as fast as you can during otherworld scenes....those were the times.
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, it is Kauffman. Atleast he's not having sex with Cheryl and giving her cocaine or something to shut her up.