Cheryl and her teacher

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

Pure viciousness. Double standards being what they are, it's not socially acceptable for a girl to be seen as sexually promiscuous (it may be seen as "fun," though).

Incidentally, the player can answer "yes" to both "virgin" and "slut" and Dr. K won't call you on it. When I took the test, I interpreted "slut" as a means of acting towards others rather than, literally, being promiscuous. In other words, I interpreted these as social roles rather than realities, since we are talking about high school.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Most teenagers are jackasses. Calling Cheryl a slut isn't proof of anything in of itself except that they're bullying her.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Harlequin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Harlequin »

Speaking as a female who just left high school, I can attest to the fact that you don't have to be doing anything sexual for other high school girls to call you a slut. Teenage girls are pretty much bitches, through and through, and insults are basically a second form of communication for us.

However, based on my personal opinions of the game and that scene specifically, I think Cheryl did something with her teacher but I don't know about going all the way. Perhaps foreplay and oral, but I'm still unsure about whether or not she actually had sex with him.
Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

I don't think she went all the way with him either, but I think he tried to get her to definitely. Remember that car on the top of that cliff just after the woods, was that Cheryl and the teacher you heard? I really can't remember I've only played it twice through, but anyway, wasn't it a guy trying to seemingly sleep with a woman but she didn't want to do it? Or am I thinking of a different part?
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Venoid wrote:I don't believe they are hugging in the classroom picture as much as they are just sat close to one another which may be the case if she is doing some work and he is looking over it.
This is the interesting thing about this game for me. Whatever you read, everyone automatically assumes the worst. Every little event is either a murder, sexual assault, or somethign equally sinister.
This may just be a fad from silent hill fans who are looking for a horror game and see horror as a combination of those things. But I think the story is about depression.
There is no doubt that a lot of bad things happened in Cheryls life, but many of them are not bad for the 'horrific' reason that people instantly believe they are.
In the case of the teacher, being victimised for having a relationship with someone (especially when you are turned into the abused victim) can be equally if not more devastating than actually being involved in one of those relationships.

The same goes with a lot of other things, like the woods was a party that got out of hand and went wrong, you can't instantly assume that anyone there intended for Cheryl (or whoever it was) to get hurt.
The suicide was not a suicide as much as a guy that just took a game too far.
The dog was accidentally squashed by a dad that wasn't paying attention.
The security was killed by an outburst of a person not all there. You can't believe Cheryl intended to kill the guard, mainly because of the fact that she just sat down on the bench after doing it.
The sex club (though another hot topic for debate) is a tragic case of a girl making a bad decision. And this is important to note, Cheryl (or whoever was there) obviously DECIDED to work in the cat house. You get what you sign up for, sadly. Again it's a tragedy but it is not as sinister as the idea that she was made into a sex slave against her will.
And the breaking up of her parents was just a tragic event of two people who were at one time very much in love just moving apart.

There's a lot of things this game makes you think about. And one of the most amusing ones for me is how incredibly degraded our own society is that we have lost sight of the real tragedy in life and always expect everything to be the worst and most sinister motives imaginable.
I'm willing to wager that throughout the majority of the first playthrough of the game most people here were willing to condemn Dahlia as a terrible mother who was the sole cause of the marriages break up. This really emphasises how quickly we as people will produce an opinion on something even when we have very few facts or scenarios or even truth to build that statement from.
In the case of Cheryl and her teacher, the situation of a teacher abusing their position and takes advantage of young developing people is a terrible one. But there is equally as many times where the suggestions or accusations of such events happen and they simply did not occur. It's funny hwo in our society we will condemn the first scenario yet turn a blind eye or shrug off the second, even though the second likely has as much tragic implications to both parties as the first.
We pretty much already covered this.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yana wrote:I don't think she went all the way with him either, but I think he tried to get her to definitely. Remember that car on the top of that cliff just after the woods, was that Cheryl and the teacher you heard? I really can't remember I've only played it twice through, but anyway, wasn't it a guy trying to seemingly sleep with a woman but she didn't want to do it? Or am I thinking of a different part?
It was her boyfriend.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

Ah, right! Well if she wouldn't even sleep with her boyfriend then I doubt she would have slept with the teacher. Just a hunch.
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

That's the point. She will not engage in sexual behavior with her boyfriend or people her own age, which would be normal, but she would with an older teacher emulating a paternal figure. That's the Electra complex at work.

Anyway, wanted to ask about Gordon having to give a statement... Where is that? I either missed it or forgot somehow.

Also, as far as the fact that the player can determine whether or not Cheryl is a virgin (or a slut), it is completely possible to have a sexual relationship and remain, technically, a virgin.
Last edited by FiliusMartis on 24 Jun 2010, edited 1 time in total.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

What Filius said. There's a lot of insinuation in this game that Cheryl has a thing for older guys that remind her of her father. Literally every other female character seems to have a thing for Harry/men who remind them of their fathers, too.
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

Aura - I looked back up and saw that you were the one who initially mentioned K. Gordon having to make a statement. I would really like to know where that information is, seeing as I have missed it or forgotten it entirely.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

She definitely screwed her teacher! Seeing all the bad shit Cheryl gets up to to get a kick and make her life a little better were some of the most emotional parts of the game... But yeah either like people say she was frigid with her boy friend but making it with the teacher because of the 'father figure' thing or there's nothing to say that these were happening at the same time, I had always figured the boyfriend was when she was younger... But then the other explanation fits better with Kaufman's talk of 'abnormal sexuality'.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Aura - I looked back up and saw that you were the one who initially mentioned K. Gordon having to make a statement. I would really like to know where that information is, seeing as I have missed it or forgotten it entirely.
You can find his phone number in the classroom with the projector. It's written on a desk pushed or folded to the side near the back of the room.
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

Yeah- I just get a cop saying that my details are being recorded due to harassment complaints. I don't remember ever getting anything alluding to an affair. Do you remember any of what is said?
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

I know I may get bashed for this, but in some ways, I believe that Cheryl's relationship with Mr. Gordon was more romantic than sexual. I mean, to me it just seemed as though they may have cared very much for one another, perhaps found common ground or understanding for one another. But what do I know? You're probably right, but the first impression I got was that it was a more romantic endeavour than sexual.
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It did seem like it may have been romantic on Mister Gordon's part. I got this vibe that he was trying to help her with their relationship moreso than use her. But then, there's really no evidence for that, and there's a precedent, so... :/
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Wow, I totally missed K. Gordan's number! But then there are loads of numbers that I haven't called in game yet....I think I will print out the list of all the numbers and call them to see what happens