New Silent Hill Wii game? Keep Ice or bring back the Rust?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Nightmare Silent Hill - Ice or Rust?

Ice
19%
Rust
81%

Total votes: 104

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Basically, yea. Maybe like in the original two Sirens, have optional, difficult ways to permanently remove monsters, like pushing the bitches down wells.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

That's what I had envisioned when I first heard about the chases, I thought the monsters could attack you in either world, and that you'd have to either lure them into a trap or get past a barrier/door which they can't breach. The chases are terrifying (albeit irritating once you're used to them) in SM but the result of the way they work is that there's no real sense of suspense, it's either totally safe (and kinda boring) in the snowy world and constantly intense (but never surprising or ominous) in the icy world.

I'm going to attempt the PS2 version before I pass judgement on the chases though, as the controls made them intensely frustrating for me on the Wii, I'd like to try it again with some tight controls I can rely on rather than a floaty reticule indicating where to turn and not-always-responsive motions to throw off attached monsters.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

^ Yeah, I only played the PS2 version, but I can say I personally had no issue with flinging off the Raw Shocks. I have no idea how well I'd have faired doing so with a Wiimote. :lol:

When I first heard about this game, and didn't know much at all about it beyond the "no weapons/the game changes as you play" mechanic, and I was honestly imagining something like the aforementioned nightmare world that fully adapts according to what you do. Obviously now we all know there's a set number of Raw Shocks, and about the only real mix-up is that you can potentially get different ones coming for you at once. That's not exactly what I pictured in my head initially, a monster that truly, fully morphs into something that lives in the darkest parts of my own real life nightmares.

I mean they were creepy enough (at first), and the ice, I do like it in this game, but it's probably not the same level of creepy it could have been, had they the budget or time or whatever to make the situation fully adaptable to each and every fine-tuned little fear any given player might have when going in.

Having said all of that, I also realize that the game, whether playing you or not, had to still make sense in terms of its narrative. Accomplishing that for any story while changing completely per player would probably be too much to pull off completely successfully.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Right. The only way a Silent Hill game can be COMPLETELY personalized is if they make the character into a complete avatar of the player, which would thus probably require no voice acting and a first person view, and gut out a lot of story.

Makes me think of Doom.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Or they could thrown in a partially developed character that becomes more like the player as the game progresses.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

The ability to create your own protagonist would be awesome. . . But would take many things off context and all. At the same time it could be damn horrible, though, I support create-a-character in many games.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

It would also take a shit ton of memory to do it properly, and based on the fact that Konami went hella cheap on advertisement on the last two games, I doubt the money would be made available.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Well, while Harry's dilemma remains the same, his attitude and personality changes depending on yours... At least that's how it seemed to me when I started a second playthrough and Harry started getting really impatient with Cybil when he didn't before.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Shacknasty
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Shacknasty »

It did have a meaning though, whether it was really scary or not. And damn, this is not the SHSM Spoilers section so I'm not sure whether to elaborate on that in this thread.
What possible meaning does the ice hold?
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it. - Jules Renard
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

Shacknasty wrote:
It did have a meaning though, whether it was really scary or not. And damn, this is not the SHSM Spoilers section so I'm not sure whether to elaborate on that in this thread.
What possible meaning does the ice hold?
I say the following with the assumption you've played the game. Aka, it's spoiler-tagged for a reason.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
It's been my so-far conclusion that the icy otherworld symbolizes the fact that Cheryl is trapped, or "frozen" in the past, clinging onto memories that make up this strewn-together Frankenstein of a father image in her head. She won't move on, or let them go, so she's frozen the memories she'd rather keep in her mind. As the player goes along, and more and more of the truth comes out, these are shattered (TitleDrop) and she is eventually, hopefully, able to try to move on.

Again, that's what I think to be true. Others who've played possibly have even better reasoning for it. I'm just saying, they didn't make it cold and snowing for no reason at all.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
Thanatos
Just Passing Through

Post by Thanatos »

Well, the problem with new, different otherworlds is that they need to have elements which preferably most people find unsettling. And the rust and blood of the old games or the ice (in the way it`s handled) in SM are such elements. But if we have a protagonist, who f.e. is allergic and afraid of milk, then it wouldn`t be scary to walk trough an otherworld filled with milk, it would just be silly. So even with complex characters who have unique inner demons, I think it`s difficult to create specific otherworlds who don`t share common elements. And it`s difficult to make it scary without relying on blood, rust etc.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Come on. Being afraid of milk doesn't make it an otherworld. Only the subconscious symbolism in one's mind. But then again, it could make milk monsters. Now that would be interesting :).
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

simeonalo wrote:Come on. Being afraid of milk doesn't make it an otherworld. Only the subconscious symbolism in one's mind. But then again, it could make milk monsters. Now that would be interesting :).

Milk monsters?
Thanatos
Just Passing Through

Post by Thanatos »

Yup. The Otherworld could have lots of udders on the wall. Besides the fear of milk this could also mean that the protagonist as a child wasn`t satisfied with the breastfeeding of his mother. So he has sexual complexes and hates her.

There we have our subconscious symbolism, hooray! :wink:
Secretions
Just Passing Through

Post by Secretions »

Four words:

Silent Hill... IN SPACE!!!
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^That was already suggested a long, long time ago. :wink:
Secretions
Just Passing Through

Post by Secretions »

It's clearly what the fans want, then. ^_^

Let's show Friday the 13th, Hellraiser and Leprechaun who's boss!
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

No. Absolutely no. The formula of making something take place in outer space is completely stupid. Have you even seen those movies? Jason X, Bloodline, and Leprechaun 4 were complete failures in the franchise. I even consider them to be under B-movie type. Maybe Z-Movie.

And how would Silent Hill even take place in space?
Secretions
Just Passing Through

Post by Secretions »

simeonalo wrote:No. Absolutely no. The formula of making something take place in outer space is completely stupid. Have you even seen those movies? Jason X, Bloodline, and Leprechaun 4 were complete failures in the franchise. I even consider them to be under B-movie type. Maybe Z-Movie.

And how would Silent Hill even take place in space?
That's the best part of Silent Hill...IN SPACE--Silent Hill isn't in space! I was being facetious. :)

To be fair, though, I can think of two films involving seemingly "non-scifi" towns that end up visually take place in space that I thought were great in a very surrealist way--Dark City and Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer. Done in an abstract fashion (ie Silent Hill isn't literally in space), you could construct portions of a Silent Hill in a similar way and probably make it work quite well.

And you have to admit, the holographic VR camp crystal lake bit in Jason X was pretty amusing.
Knick Knack
Gravedigger

Post by Knick Knack »

I'M SORRY BUT I AGREE WITH THIS SILENT HILL IN SPACE IDEA 200% IT IS BRILLIANT.
Hahaha but I say don't stick with either the rust or the ice; go with something relating to the protagonist of that game's installment. Ice was more fitting for this protagonist than rust, so the next thing should follow suit.