Kaufmans sexual/non sexual abstrcat images test ... ?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

SasaYamaoka
My Bestsellers Clerk

Kaufmans sexual/non sexual abstrcat images test ... ?

Post by SasaYamaoka »

Hey, i dont know where to ask this question, or is it asked or answered somewhere ... but does anybody know anything about those sexual/non sexual absctract images that "Kaufman" made you sort?

He was talking about how sex is releated to death ... so i sorted the images and the only one that was actually "sexual" to me mostly realisticly had a hanging rope behind it ...? WTF?

I picked that one ... and two more for wich i didnt feel they were sexual but were not totaly nonsexual and dark or pointeles like the rest of them.
He picked the one i found to be most beliveably sexual and fliped it around ... i couldnt belive it!!! Again ... WTF?

I mean does any body know what do other images had on their back side?

Was this like a legitimate "test" or is it a game "hoax" ... i mean, if i would of picked some other card ... would they had some death simbol on their back?

What did you pick, and what did he say to it?
cascade88
Historical Society Historian

Post by cascade88 »

When he flipped one of mine over, he said "the other side of the coin is death" or something like that. I think that the way you sort it does have some kind of effect, but ultimately, all the cards probably have a death symbol on the back.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
SasaYamaoka
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SasaYamaoka »

cascade88 wrote:I think that the way you sort it does have some kind of effect, but ultimately, all the cards probably have a death symbol on the back.

thats a shame ... i was hoping it was kinda a legitimate test ... :(

What simbol was behing your card?
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

To be honest, I couldn't really make it out. I blamed this on PS2 graphics, but if you could see yours... if they all resemble death, then it might always be a hanging rope.

And, again, I think it was legitemate, pertaining to however you sort the cards, in changing/adapting your final evaluation.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

That test through me for a loop, cause I couldn't comprehend his discussion about sex=death. To me, if anything, sex=life, but that's another matter.

When I did the test for the first time I looked through them all, and none of them resembled anything sexual to me. Death sure, but nothing sexual. So I ended up putting them all in non-sexual side. I loved his response after that though. :mrgreen:

Interestingly enough, I think it might have "feminized" my monsters about as far as they'd go. Either that or previous decisions just caused it to happen at the end.

Still I just couldn't see anything sexual in those ink blots... :?
SasaYamaoka
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SasaYamaoka »

What was his response ???
Dark Shadow
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Shadow »

The card he flipped around for me had a picture of a car for the symbol of death, car = Harry's death.
KM
Just Passing Through

Post by KM »

The one he flipped over in my game had a skull on the back, but I chose it because I could tell from the blot that it was clearly a skull.
Silent One wrote:That test through me for a loop, cause I couldn't comprehend his discussion about sex=death. To me, if anything, sex=life, but that's another matter.
"To deny sex is to deny death." Sex for a species is reproduction. Sex/reproduction exists because of death, to keep the lines going. To deny sex is to deny the need for it.

Sex=life=death, so sex=death. As a great... lion... king said, it's just about "the circle of life."
heroicxspace
Just Passing Through

Post by heroicxspace »

To die, to orgasm. Shakespearean poetics.
My favorite was the apple card, because, well, it was an apple. But Dr. K just went ahead and launched into his sex=death speech with so damn much conviction. I'm pretty sure he does this regardless of which card you choose (Apple, Car Crash, Horse Skull, Knife, Noose, Pistol, Skull). Unless you say that none of them are sexual in which case he says you must think he was trying to trick you...
SasaYamaoka
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SasaYamaoka »

KM wrote: "To deny sex is to deny death." Sex for a species is reproduction. Sex/reproduction exists because of death, to keep the lines going. To deny sex is to deny the need for it.

Sex=life=death, so sex=death. As a great... lion... king said, it's just about "the circle of life."
Good explanation!

Thanx heroicxspace for input!
JiGoKuShOuJiN
Just Passing Through

Post by JiGoKuShOuJiN »

I got the dagger. On my first playthrough....
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

Just because all the images have death symbolism doesn't mean the test is not legitimate. Kaufman describes the connection between sex and death in that both entail a certain loss of self, both can be categorized by a certain vulnerability. The test is not supposed to test how you connect sex and death, he forces that as fact; the test is meant to determine how readily you see and accept sex and death. Too much, too little, or a medium amount?
TMALIVE
Just Passing Through

Post by TMALIVE »

I didn't see any of them as a sexual image. Had to really use my imagination just to see 2 of them as one, but they were under the "sorta" category. So I just picked none of them, and got the "None of them?!? Now you're screwing with me!" response. lol
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I want to meet the person who thinks the Skull was a sex symbol.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

It'd be cool to see what's on the backs of all the ink blot cards! I noticed the skull one too! I got the noose.
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

There is... a gun, a noose, a crashed car, a messed up apple, a skull, and a sword for sure. I'll have to go back and look at the other ones- I cannot remember them all of hand.
KM
Just Passing Through

Post by KM »

AuraTwilight wrote:I want to meet the person who thinks the Skull was a sex symbol.
How d'ya do. :)

I don't know. It just made me think, "Sex, drugs, & rock n roll." Like reckless sexuality... the possibility of life-threatening diseases if you're not careful.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

oh, well, alright, KM, but I was more thinking the people who went "That's no skull, that's a (Genital)"
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SasaYamaoka
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SasaYamaoka »

FiliusMartis wrote: The test is not supposed to test how you connect sex and death, he forces that as fact; the test is meant to determine how readily you see and accept sex and death. Too much, too little, or a medium amount?
ok, thats solid, explaines the purpose of the test ... altho it seems to me it would be more appropriate to see if a person is more into sex or not ... like you say its forced belif that sex is connected to death, which has to do with her father dying. To see how much did her fathers death suppress her desire for life. (And i think thats what you wanted to say)

But i guess the more i think about it the more it makes sense on a deeper level.
FiliusMartis wrote:There is... a gun, a noose, a crashed car, a messed up apple, a skull, and a sword for sure. I'll have to go back and look at the other ones- I cannot remember them all of hand.
Is there like a picture of the cards ... i tried to find them online ... nothing. Or did you find them from walktroughs.
I have a desire to print those cards and test them on my budys . :D :D
AuraTwilight wrote:oh, well, alright, KM, but I was more thinking the people who went "That's no skull, that's a (Genital)"
XD :D
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

SasaYamaoka wrote:Is there like a picture of the cards ... i tried to find them online ... nothing. Or did you find them from walktroughs.
Neither; I simply remembered the ones I could. I lack screen capture abilities or I would help you.