Was *Your* Ending Evaluation Accurate?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Re: Was *Your* Ending Evaluation Accurate?

Post by Yuki »

Tillerman wrote:
paladin181 wrote:It's not entirely random though. A lot of your actions (like closing cabinets after you're done or looking at specific things for longer periods of time) are generally small reflections of the type of person you are. IF you try to game the system by altering your normal behavior, it's pointless. But if you were to play the game as you would do if YOU were doing it, and don't intentionally change your behaviors, it is somewhat accurate, even if it takes the horoscope/fortune cookie route.
Well, like I said it may not be technically random, but in a real sense it is. Minor actions like closing cabinets and staring at certain things hardly reflect the type of person you are. People are too complicated to be easily categorized like that. For example... if you stare at a picture of a naked woman, is it for scatalogical reasons, or because something about the artwork catches your eye, or because you are offended, or because you dropped the controller? Could be any of those reasons. Thus, to draw any "accurate" conclusions from it is meaningless.

And remember that the horoscope/fortune cookie route works in spite of those predictions being meaningless. The point is that it works because it is vague but specific sounding. It could very well be random, and it would still work.

I'm not necessarily criticizing it, I think it's a cool gimmick. But it is just a gimmick. A game can't actually psychologically profile you, that's just silly. It's not even easy for psychologists to do that.
I don't think anyone was arguing that the game gives you a genuine psychiatric evaluation; that would be completely ridiculous. Of /course/ it's limited. They assign different actions different characteristics, just as psychology does; I would assume that the game is programmed to think that if you close all the cabinets after you've looked in them, you're more neat and tidy than someone who leaves everything open. It makes sense and isn't random. The thread title likely means "was your ending evaluation similar to your personality?".
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Yuki wrote:I don't think anyone was arguing that the game gives you a genuine psychiatric evaluation; that would be completely ridiculous. Of /course/ it's limited. They assign different actions different characteristics, just as psychology does; I would assume that the game is programmed to think that if you close all the cabinets after you've looked in them, you're more neat and tidy than someone who leaves everything open. It makes sense and isn't random. The thread title likely means "was your ending evaluation similar to your personality?".
I would just replace that word "limited" with nonexistent. Okay, sure, the cupboard things sort of makes sense... but 99% of the conclusions can't possibly be based on anything. For example, what would your actions in a game possibly have to do with how good you are in bed? Absolutely nothing.
SPRINGS02
Historical Society Historian
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Not really accurate at all, a lot of people give the psych profile a lot more credit than it deserves, i mean sure it was a good concept but it really wasn't that great. I think it's funny how some people are like "ZOMG it read my mind it knows me"
Lahkesis
Just Passing Through

Post by Lahkesis »

Most of the time it is. He usually calls me an 'artiste', which is fitting.
Krissy Bunny
Just Passing Through

Post by Krissy Bunny »

My first time play through results were fairly hit and miss. It reminded me of one of those online personality tests you take for fun that end up being accurate to an extent but at the same time, not even close. Oddly enough, when I replayed it and tried to do everything differently to aim for another ending, the evaluation was eerily spot on in many aspects... Far more than my first time play through where I was trying to be completely honest. Weird.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

I'd say about 80% of it was true. On my first playthrough I was sort of confused if he was talking about Cheryl or me as well. One thing that he said that sort of surprised me is that I get criticized a lot which is sort of true. I polarize people and I'm not sure why.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I actually thought that my evaluation was pretty accurate.
It's possible that because of its broad generalization that I'm unconsciously "cherry-picking" out details that I agree with, latching onto them and thinking that it's actually reading me fairly well.

Either way, it did pretty well picking out aspects of my personality that I've discovered within the past year or so, so I found that particularly impressive.

I'm curious how the whole profiling system works in SM, but the less I know the more I'll like the game, so I refuse to look up the details ;)