SHSM Wii sales numbers?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

donssword
Just Passing Through

SHSM Wii sales numbers?

Post by donssword »

Been trying to find some actual NPD sales data for Dec. According to NeoGAF discussion threads, it seems to have sold under 50,000, but more than Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... 33&page=22
Not sure who AniHawk is, but people seem to think he has good data from reading others threads/posts.

There's an IGN post about the NeoGAF post:
http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_gene ... 188578237/

Some more NeoGAF thoughts on the marketing of SHSM
http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=384933&page=28

With the PS2 and PSP versions coming out next week, one can only wonder if retailers will even be stocking it. Of course, with the huge PS2 install base, will it still sell?
--
My first console: the Teletype 33
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

I know my retailers aint stocking the game, hell most of the ones I asked never even heard of the game :(
^^
donssword
Just Passing Through

Post by donssword »

Yeah--I noted that many Gamestops in my area (Richmond, Virginia, USA) only had 2 or 3 copies available new--but that is Gamestop's business model anyhow, rely on used resales.

They also had only a handful of soundtracks to give as promos for pre-orders and nonpre-orders. 2 weeks after the Wii version came out, a friendly manager gave me their last copy of the soundtrack--so I scored. Even better, my wife got us a Wii for Xmas, so I am just waiting for a slight price drop.

I saw a few copies at Best Buy (who will likeky keep it in stock the longest), and only a few in a Walmart, but they sold out and I have not checked back to see if they restocked.
--
My first console: the Teletype 33
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

This is quite bad isn't it? I mean, if they are hardly stocking it already. I wonder what it's gonna be like when it hits the UK
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

I was working at Futureshop when we got the game in for launch. We only got 2 copies! 1 of which was later bought by me!

Konami openly atated that they weren't planning on marketing this game at all. So what did they expect?

Also I think the PS2 and PSP numbers should give the title a significant boost. But don't expect to see this become a great seller. Hopefully it'll make enough so tha Konami considers making more if only for the fanbase.

The positive news the game is getting from some outlets may help, but overall reviews have been mixed.
Droo

Post by Droo »

It was marketed somewhat. The back cover of every comic book DC put out in December had a full page ad for it.

I think the UK, Japan and (provided they don't ban it) Australian numbers hopefully will aggregate to save the game. Otherwise, I'd say that the series may be dead.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

Droo wrote: I think the UK, Japan and (provided they don't ban it) Australian numbers hopefully will aggregate to save the game. Otherwise, I'd say that the series may be dead.
Y'know, I'd almost be fine with it if the series did die--in my opinion, SH:SM is a fantastic note to go out on, the series' highest.

But I have a hard time believing that's the case, considering that they've confirmed a second film--especially when the first film was so lackluster. They could always pull the plug on the movie of course, but those signals just don't say to me that they've given up on the series.
Droo

Post by Droo »

After I posted that, I started thinking about the second film. I had almost forgotten about it.

I can see Konami making one more game to coincide with the film. However, given the first film's hatred amongst fans, critics and the general movie-going public, I imagine interest in the second film will be small, the box office will be disappointing, and the game will sell equally bad as Shattered Memories and Homecoming unless Konami finally pulls its thumbs out of its ass and promotes the goddamn thing.

So, I'd say all signs point to ONE MORE SH game, and then death, unless the game kicks major ass (possible) or the movie does (improbable).
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Well, that's disappointing... but not wholly unexpected. If the Silent Hill brand has ever been "big," it's certainly fallen a long way from the days of the Greatest Hits edition SH2.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a red-label SH3.

Seeing as this game is far more niche than Homecoming, it selling less seemed the obvious conclusion, even though I really wanted it to sell more. Hell, I've been promoting it to the local GameStop staff (who, in this store, are actually interested in the game; they ordered a few copies, but I don't think they've been moving). I'm even considering buying the PSP version for the sake of it.

However, I'm really not surprised and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the swansong of the series as a relevant horror title (oh, I'm sure we'll get our little cell phone games, etcetera). As I said before, I can't think of a better note to go out on: full circle.

Of course, we won't know for another decade whether this is truly th end, so we're probably getting ahead of ourselves. If there is a new title, though, I wouldn't expect it to be on a high-end, expensive HD platform. Sales like these won't justify it.
DarkMatter
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DarkMatter »

This is depressing. But not all that surprising, which is even more depressing. I mean, Knami hardly even tried to sell the game. Shipping out two copies? Really? Hopefully sales in other regions combined with the PS2 and PSP sales can bring it up.

That said, if the series were to end with Shattered Memories, I'd be satisfied. What a great game to go out on.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Interesting. I haven't played SM yet but I think I wouldn't mind if SH 'died' now.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^ I'm with you bro. I'm with you.
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

While SM would be a fine end to the series we all love, we have to keep in mind that those Wii sales, are America alone.

Once Europe, Japan, and all the other countries get it for the Wii, PS2, and PSP, I'm sure we'll see a spike in sales to at least 150,000 total.

I mean, I think about somewhere close to 45,000 Sales, is pretty good for one country.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

I wouldn't, as I said there's more that can be done and I have a good feeling that a next game would be just as good, if not better. Not only that, I jumped into the series just recently, so only getting to anticipate one new game seems rather cheap to me. :) Really, if they are planning on cutting the series loose, I'd want just one more game.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^IF they make another game, a new and original story with other characters maybe the series would get up a little bit more. I don't know, the whole old characters in this one. . . Seriously, do we need another game with Harry? I don't think so. Bring other characters, Hell.
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

Mephisto wrote:^IF they make another game, a new and original story with other characters maybe the series would get up a little bit more. I don't know, the whole old characters in this one. . . Seriously, do we need another game with Harry? I don't think so. Bring other characters, Hell.
SM is cleary a reboot of the the franchise and it came out a decade after the original as well, so it makes sense they'd use the original characters. Plus its a great companion piece to the original, turning some of its themes, and definitely the characters, on thier heads. I'd say its the perfect balance, the story is a great standalone story, but it also has many callbacks to the original as bonuses for the people who played it.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

SM is cleary a reboot of the the franchise and it came out a decade after the original as well, so it makes sense they'd use the original characters.
Obviously.
But I'm talking about the whole "reboot" thing, like you said. We had SH1 (kinda) stuff going on on Origins, now we had SH1 stuff again in SM. What if the next one will be about, I don't know, Cybil? C'mon, no more Silent Hill 1 references, work on a new thing and I'm sure people will like it, or not. But at least you guys (Climax) will have the guts to try something new without caring with past games. Just like Double Helix did.
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

I think that if Climax made a new game, it would be entirely its own thing. Heck, SM pretty much was, aside from character names and some events.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Droo wrote:I think the UK, Japan and (provided they don't ban it) Australian numbers hopefully will aggregate to save the game. Otherwise, I'd say that the series may be dead.
The game isn't violent. nor does it have any explicit subject matter, I don't see any rating boards or censors having problems with this.

Droo wrote:After I posted that, I started thinking about the second film. I had almost forgotten about it.

I can see Konami making one more game to coincide with the film. However, given the first film's hatred amongst fans, critics and the general movie-going public, I imagine interest in the second film will be small, the box office will be disappointing, and the game will sell equally bad as Shattered Memories and Homecoming unless Konami finally pulls its thumbs out of its ass and promotes the goddamn thing.

So, I'd say all signs point to ONE MORE SH game, and then death, unless the game kicks major ass (possible) or the movie does (improbable).
Actually the reviews were mixed, and fan reaction has been on the positive side as far as the movie was concerned. General audiences really seemed to dig it though! The film made a profit domestically and sold well enough on DVD and blu-ray. A second movie is already green-lit, but will only really start production once the next Resident Evil is finished and it's been severely delayed... But all in all, Sony's determined to make a sequel and it will very likely be in 3-D, and the second film should do better commercially, which would help the franchise.
Apocali wrote:SM is cleary a reboot of the the franchise and it came out a decade after the original as well, so it makes sense they'd use the original characters. Plus its a great companion piece to the original, turning some of its themes, and definitely the characters, on thier heads. I'd say its the perfect balance, the story is a great standalone story, but it also has many callbacks to the original as bonuses for the people who played it.
I don't believe Shattered Memories is intended to be the beginning of some franchise reboot... It's purely experimental, and given the way the game and story play out, I'd say presenting it like a recreation of SH1 is part of the illusion meant to blind the fans as to what they're going through until the revelation. The idea that this is a 'remake of SH1' is a clever sleight of hand. It sort of is like that, yet it really isn't!
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

Actually the reviews were mixed
I dunno, its got a 30% on RT. That's a pretty big sign that the overall reviews were pretty negative.
^IF they make another game, a new and original story with other characters maybe the series would get up a little bit more. I don't know, the whole old characters in this one. . . Seriously, do we need another game with Harry? I don't think so. Bring other characters, Hell.
Personally I'd say yes, the series very much needed this new adventure with Harry.

But even that point aside: I agree we need some completely new and original story lines, and my vote for the first thing to throw overboard forever is the damned cult.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
SH:SM gets major points in my book for skirting the Order--and then more points for mocking them in the UFO ending