SHSM Wii sales numbers?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Post by Droo »

I worked at a movie rental store when Silent Hill was in theatres and for a long time after it came out on DVD. The film is almost universally mocked in my city.

The movie actually made me ashamed to be a fan when I saw it in theatres. Everyone was laughing at it.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Most people around me liked it. Heck I liked it! It was just the ending that brought it down for me... Horror fans in general that I see at cons etc. loved it.

Anyway the film was profitable. Made $97,607,453 in theatres worldwide. Avarage rating of 'B' with half the votes being 'A.'
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=silenthill.htm

A critical bomb sure, but overall the majority of viewers disagreed with the critics on it at least according to BoxOfficeMojo.
Droo wrote:The movie actually made me ashamed to be a fan when I saw it in theatres. Everyone was laughing at it.
Well to be quite honest I've never been to a horror movie where nobody laughed some of the time. I also laugh a bit here and there. It's usually that's more the excited, thrilled sort of laughing.

Anyway, the movies are very likely to be popular and make money, which probably can't be said for the games...
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Y'know, wouldn't it be terribly ironic if the Silent Hill series, being more profitable as a B horror franchise (a high B, but still a B) than an intellectual survival horror adventure game property, ended up changing gears to be a movie series exclusively because the games don't make bank anymore? :)

:cry:
Droo

Post by Droo »

Trust me, this was not polite or excited laughter. This was mocking laughter.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

it's not surprising this isn't selling well. considering the mixed reviews, the console it's on, and the fact that it's not getting attention from anyone outside of the fanbase. the figures probably won't surpass Homecoming's.
donssword
Just Passing Through

Post by donssword »

Was in 2 Targets and a Walmart today, and saw SHSM Wii in both locations--about a half dozen copies each.

Not sure about the mixed reviews. Most reviews I see on Metacritic are fairly positive (79 - Generally Favaorable). Joystiq says it would have been on 2009 Top Ten lists if it had made it out a little earlier.
--
My first console: the Teletype 33
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Droo wrote:Trust me, this was not polite or excited laughter. This was mocking laughter.
Interesting. I saw it a few times in the theatre and didn't hear any mocking laughter. I also know that I'm not the only fan who got some enjoyment out of the movie and appreciated its efforts. You can't speak for everyone.

But anyway, I think we're in the Shattered Memories section, not the movie section.
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

The movie itself was probably the best videogame to movie adaption done thus far. That being said, they sure could have done a little better.

My main gripes are the female lead(a male lead being to "feminine" in the game? right...), Cybil coming off VERY butch/aggressive when she didn't need to be, PH being in a story that has little to do with him at all, the cult not being what it was in the game and seeming more like a radical christian thing, and finally Cybil's death (seriously!?).

All in all it wasn't bad, but I think several of the changes were unneeded and they took far too much content from the second game that wasn't present in the original. :|
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Silent One wrote:The movie itself was probably the best videogame to movie adaption done thus far. That being said, they sure could have done a little better.

My main gripes are the female lead(a male lead being to "feminine" in the game? right...), Cybil coming off VERY butch/aggressive when she didn't need to be, PH being in a story that has little to do with him at all, the cult not being what it was in the game and seeming more like a radical christian thing, and finally Cybil's death (seriously!?).

All in all it wasn't bad, but I think several of the changes were unneeded and they took far too much content from the second game that wasn't present in the original. :|
Well, she does most likely die in the first game.
MonkeyX
Just Passing Through

Post by MonkeyX »

I know that the GameStop in Bend, Oregon had allot in stock. But then again I was working there and was promoting the crap out of it. So it sold well here. But at our Target they never got it in. Walmart had it in but only like 2 copies.
MonkeyX

- Website - http://silenthillexperienced.com
- E-Mail - podcast@silenthillexperienced.com
- Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/silenthillexperienced
- YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/SilentHillExp
- Vimeo - http://www.vimeo.com/silenthillexp
- Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/SilentHillExp
- MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/SilentHillExperienced
Silent Evil
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Evil »

Before I bought the game, I tried to rent it at a few of the last remaining local video rental stores in my area and NONE of them had it! :o

That kind of astounded me, that they wouldn't have a fairly high-profile game like that available to rent. They could get a freak'n PRINCESS & THE FROG game, but not a Silent Hill one?

:roll: Disgraceful...
Follow me on: deviantART | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

My local Walmart didn't have any copies of the PS2 version. They had the strategy guide, a few copies of the Wii version, but no PS2 love. Eh, my local Walmart kinda sucks anyway.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

I took the last copy the Walmart I bought it had :P