What do you specifically not like about what's been shown...

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Suiko
Cafe5to2 Waitress

What do you specifically not like about what's been shown...

Post by Suiko »

so far from trailers/interviews/screenshots? Everyone is picky about something and there's a lot of things to be subjective about, with the game being a month/2 away. Personally I'm just worried if there will be as many out of place, totally creepy things as there were in the first few games, with 3 coming to mind the most. I'm also kind of hoping there isn't too much talking throughout the game with other characters, keep it to short segments far apart like the first few did, or the atmosphere could lose that totally lost/surreal feel.

What are some of your guys opinions? And please, don't make this a "I HATE EVERYTHING THEY'RE DOING!" topic, there are some really good ideas going into this game, regardless if you hate the entire idea or not, it's all opinion until proven fact.
Oh, it should've been, could've been worse than you would ever know.
Well, you told me about nowhere well it sounds like someplace I'd like to go.
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

I haven't seen anything to dislike so far.... It does look "cleaner" then the previous games but all the new gameplay elements certainly has me hyped! I am hoping though that the monsters will look more and more detailed as we play through the game.
My Websites!
Image Image Image
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

The way people have reacted to it, mostly.
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

alone in the town wrote:The way people have reacted to it, mostly.
Yeah that's been a disappointment too...I also really don't like the bashing of Western game developers that tend to go with it.
My Websites!
Image Image Image
Ratiocinator
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ratiocinator »

That it hasn't been released yet! How am I going to juggle MW2, L4D2 and SH:SM all in the same quarter? So many good games coming out, so little time.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

This.
I also really don't like the bashing of Western game developers that tend to go with it.
And this.

I can't really say I dislike anything. I haven't really noticed the film grain filter, which I've admired quite a lot in previous games, but it could be there. And if not, it doesn't really matter.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
Suiko
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Suiko »

I'd have to agree there as well, I got a feeling that even if this game ends up not giving a true Silent Hill vibe, it'll still be a good game in general. I've seen some people who haven't even played it say how terrible it will be, which just doesn't make sense. It's like ESPN for an example outside of gaming, they ride on teams that did great the year before, and crap all over teams that did bad, regardless of any positive changes/large set backs that happened to the teams in the off seasons of those sports. To connect that with this game, some people hated what Climax did with Origins, which is their only proof as to why this will fail when the game is still being worked on, and from the looks of it, isn't even close to the same type of game as Origins. I'm sort of curious how my points in my first post will play out in the game, but I'm not condemning the overall package.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

I can't stand they way the haven't released it yet, crappy western developers. That aside I can't seem to think of anything I dislike about it, apart from the blue 'go here' and 'you can do this' highlighters. Even if they don't point you in the direction you are meant to go, there still not necessary, and the big ugly tutorial boxes.
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

The only thing that has been bothering me is the arrows which point out puzzles. The arrows are distracting because they are actually floating in the air and obscuring part of the game world. In this way they are very jarring, essentially screaming "You are playing a videogame!" The head-turning mechanic of the previous Silent Hills should be sufficient for pointing out those objects of interest. It accomplished the same goal as the floating arrows, but in a far less obtrusive way.

The blue highlighting doesn't bother me much at all, since the effect doesn't stand out from the environment like the levitating arrows do.

I haven't noticed whether a grain filter is in place or not. But then again, I haven't really been looking for it. I'd miss it if it wasn't there, but I don't think it would have any affect on how much I liked the game.

Apart from that one complaint about the arrows, I have loved pretty much everything else I have seen. I feel that no combat is the right way to go for this series, and the art direction seems to be just as good as any of the previous games, and the psyche profile seems like it will be a great feature.
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

The game looks incredible to me. And there is a grain filter, it's just hard to see in most youtube videos, but if you watch in high quality and pay attention you'll see it. I just want to play a new silent hill game. The wii-mote as a flashlight idea had me hooked from the beginning. And I like all the character interaction. Wait, this was supposed to be a topic on what I don't like about the game so far? Well shit.
Suiko
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Suiko »

Heh, looks like everyone is pretty content on what's been shown so far, which is a good thing. I really hope the game ends up being as good as it seems because besides the minor "ideas" I had on what could be below average, I think everything is awesome so far as well. 8)
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

The only thing that I dislike so far is: No Physical Combat. I don't know, I'm still feeling strange about it. Just imagine in the Otherworld, you, surrounded by monsters, trying to figure out a damn super hard puzzle, and there's nothing you can do to kill'em. . .
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Hmmm....I'd have to say the only thing I possibly dislike about this game, is the possibility of a new, most likely younger singer than Mary.

But overall, I'm psyched, I got it pre-ordered and all

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

My personal dislikes regarding Shattered Memories are mostly nitpicking annoyances that, honestly, I could probably look past and learn to live with. The lack of physical combat, however, absolutely, 100% kills it for me. In the past, the monsters of Silent Hill were little more than an occasional annoyance that I would quickly dispatch and go on about my business. They didn't interfere too much with my entire reason for playing the game in the first place: the atmosphere, the characters, the story, the exploration, the psychological horror.

Homecoming was ruined for me by a ridiculous amount of combat. It focused far too heavily on those monster/annoyances (now beefed up and 10x more annoying) which effectively turned the series from "psychological horror" to "survival horror" (I actually remember when Silent Hill fans considered that term an insult). Shattered Memories is on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum. It will offer you no way to rid yourself of those monster/annoyances. That to me is even worse. 20x more annoying!

I'm trying to look at this game objectively, and I honestly do hope it turns out to be a great game that will revive this dying series, but I'm not holding my breath.
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

I absolutely hate the fact Climax have decided not to support PC platform again. WTF?
Everything else is fine so far.
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

Klimat wrote:I absolutely hate the fact Climax have decided not to support PC platform again. WTF?
Everything else is fine so far.
I have to agree with you on this.
SH1,2,3,4,Homecoming was on PC, Why not Shattered Memories and Origins?
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

Restoration01
Well, technically SH1 was not, it was just emulated. Though everything else is right, totally agreed.
antianara
Just Passing Through

Post by antianara »

alone in the town wrote:The way people have reacted to it, mostly.
Like everyone else, I have to agree with that. I can't think of a single thing about the actual game that's bothered me so far. I was unsure about it initially, but never wrote it off completely like so many others seem to be doing.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

I've been quite impressed with what I've seen so far. Climax sure came a long way since Origins. I did see much improvement and that's a good thing.

If I had to nitpick, though...

I was way more impressed with the snowy world than the otherworld? From what they decided to show, the snowy world seemed like it got a lot more polish than the otherworld.
VIVISect wrote:The lack of physical combat, however, absolutely, 100% kills it for me.
I am a tad worried about this myself. It's just a huge "jump" from traditional Silent Hill that I don't know if it will work out in the end.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Jecht
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Jecht »

I agree with the way people have reacted to it. I love the idea of no combat. That quote from the interview, something like "you don't fight back in nightmares, you only run", I loved it. I think that quote and that concept had me sold from the first instant.

Though this can be looked at the same way Resident Evil 4 was to that series. It drastically changed everything about the series but it's still considered one of the best games of last gen and of the series. I hope years from now, we can say the same thing about Shattered Memories