Ugh - PSP version looks horrible. Will PS2 be the same?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

NAP
Just Passing Through

Post by NAP »

Krysta wrote:Wii version ain't shining either. The game is running on Origins engine most likely, given the fact they immediatly start developing after Origins. It's not about the graphics people :)
It kind of is about graphics with a horror game. Atmosphere is the most important thing and nothing draws you out of a game like really bad graphics.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I'm not saying it's "all about teh grafics lol".

I'm thinking about in general. PSP games get ported to PS2 games often and are always low-quality PS2 games because "it's a port". My fear is the PSP and PS2 games being the exact same because that would bring the PS2 version down lower than what it could have been.
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

NAP wrote:
It kind of is about graphics with a horror game. Atmosphere is the most important thing and nothing draws you out of a game like really bad graphics.
You must really hate Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, 4, and Origins then. 'Cause, you know, Shattered Memories is about on par with or better-looking than those games.
Bishop Sasarai
Historical Society Historian

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

Must've also hated the first generation Resident Evil games as well.

While the atmosphere is important, you don't necessarily need fantastic graphics for a scary environment. I think Silent Hill has a better atmosphere than Resident Evil 4, even though the latter arguably has better graphics.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
Endri
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Endri »

DamienPales wrote:
NAP wrote:
You must really hate Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, 4, and Origins then. 'Cause, you know, Shattered Memories is about on par with or better-looking than those games.
Ummm... No.

Silent Hill 3 is the better looking game of every game from the series. It was, indeed, so well done, that it is still compared to new generation games. It's facials expresions are compared to the ones of Heavenly Sword, for example. Oh.

Unfortunattely, no. Shattered Memories, the very Wii version, doesn't even get on par with SH3.
http://endri.webs.com
[spoiler]Harry's name isn't Harry. Harry is just a nickname. His name is Harrold.
James' actual occupation is clerk.
Heather smoked until the age of 17.
EDIT - INFLAMATORY - T.
Travis is virgin.
Alex's a uninteresting character.

The bushes in the original SMB are also the clouds.

artic[b]UNO[/b], zap[b]DOS[/b], mol[b]TRES[/b][/spoiler]
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

DamienPales wrote:
NAP wrote:
count SH1 and Origins off, and play SH 2,3,4 on PC in hi res. SH3 especially looks great even now it's not that rusty really, in the era of DirectX 10. SM looks like Origins cause it works on Origins engine which is frankly not as advanced as older games regardless what they say, diffrences are visible. Dynamic lighting was also very good in SH3. One step forward, two steps back I guess
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

Where did this 'it runs on Origins engine' thing come from? I read a bit into this game I know their not using the game engine from Origins because they built the game engine from scratch. The graphics engine I really doubt their reusing, have you seen the trailers and some of the effects they've got running on it? The snow and the light shading looks simply stunning in my opinion. The only thing wrong I can see is some jaggies that even SH3 had, and no, I'm not saying SM looks better then 3.
Krysta

Post by Krysta »

the gap between Origins and SM is too small for a new engine build up, engine was mostly upgraded like from 1.0 to 1.5 to support new effects. I'm not a dev but I know how this industry is functioning. If you want 'stunning' play maxed out Crysis, there is actually a Snow. All the rest are standard programming procedures being use in every new game. "Jaggies" are calling aliasing actually and are commonly present even on PS3 and X360 titles, so on lesser platforms like wii and psp it shuldn't be a surprise
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

NanayaShiki wrote:I'm not saying it's "all about teh grafics lol".

I'm thinking about in general. PSP games get ported to PS2 games often and are always low-quality PS2 games because "it's a port". My fear is the PSP and PS2 games being the exact same because that would bring the PS2 version down lower than what it could have been.
Get a Wii then. The PS2 and PSP games ARE just ports, partly outsourced to another team. If you want to play the true game the way it was intended, get a Wii.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Yeah... Aliasing is worse on the Wii simply because it's lower resolution. If you have an HDTV though you will get them on the PS3 and Xbox 360 as well (and in some cases, even on an SDTV). Some games make an effort to hide them, or in some cases they're nicely hidden, even on the Wii.

I imagine Shattered Memories will be quite "jaggy" because of the effects it uses, I'm sure any kind of affects to remove them would slow the thing right down, but as with the PS2 games, the grain filter should make it less ugly.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

DistantJ wrote:Get a Wii then. The PS2 and PSP games ARE just ports, partly outsourced to another team. If you want to play the true game the way it was intended, get a Wii.
Ugh, that sucks. I don't like the stupid fricken Wii. However, how sick would it be if you could use a hand gun controller along with the remote/flashlight! Buy a 92" HD projector and you'd be in SH yourself lol
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

This is something I don't get, people go "why are all these good games coming to the Wii, I hate the Wii" <- how can they hate it if it has what they confess to be good games? lol
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

I just prefer Playstation/xbox. Sometimes I don't like change lol
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Silent Carnage
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Carnage »

SH SM is gonna be the only game worth shit on the Wii if it lives up to our expectations, I laugh at anyone saying Wii "Gets all the good games" seriously? LOL... No. Look at E3, the actual CURRENT GEN consoles are going to be using motion sensing PS3 and the 360 (PS360 Owner FTW), I can't wait until everyone realizes how much fail the Wii is next year.

Trust me, you'll see it, even if you love that children's toy.

Shameless rip off of Wii Motion Sensing + Current-gen graphics = Win.
Krysta

Post by Krysta »

Silent Carnage wrote:SH SM is gonna be the only game worth shit on the Wii
I would add Teh Grudge game as a second
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

DistantJ wrote: Get a Wii then. The PS2 and PSP games ARE just ports, partly outsourced to another team. If you want to play the true game the way it was intended, get a Wii.
Well yeah, but there is a difference between a port from the Wii to PS2 than from PSP to PS2. Wii is above PS2 and going down slightly, while PSP is even lower and can't get as high to the system it is going on.

In other words, a port of a Wii game will allow PS2 to shine and use all it can use. A port of a PSP game will stay generally the same and not live up to PS2 quality, pushing nothing. So if it was just being ported to PS2 from Wii, I would think it would be a really good port (especially with a completely separate team dedicated to making it work). But since it is going to PSP as well, if the PSP and PS2 versions are the same then the PS2 version will not be nearly as good as it could be.

Do you see what I am saying?
Oh, and I would get a Wii... if I had money. I would get a PS3 as well.
DistantJ wrote: This is something I don't get, people go "why are all these good games coming to the Wii, I hate the Wii" <- how can they hate it if it has what they confess to be good games? lol
Oh, I dunno, maybe they hate the CONTROLS? Wii has a very unique control system and not evernyone is crazy about the whole LOLMOTION thing. I personally can't stand it. I want my traditional controller. So when you see people lament games that look good going on the Wii, they could very well be wishing that it went to a system they don't hate to play.

Unless of course their argument against the wii is anything along the lines of "it's for children". Then, they are just idiots.
ulcain
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ulcain »

NAP wrote:
Krysta wrote:Wii version ain't shining either. The game is running on Origins engine most likely, given the fact they immediatly start developing after Origins. It's not about the graphics people :)
You know, I can't agree, but I definattly see your point... Even with the originals blocky graphics and graininess I think it is superior to say, SH4:The Room(my humble unasked-for opinion). Atmosphere doesn't require the latest or even "good" graphics. The sound of the original carried any problem with the graphics and the tension was set right, not to mention the plot.

To prove my point, my niece, 13, is spoiled on the latest gen graphics freaked out when we played the game for the tenth anniversary and LOVED IT. She's used to ps2 graphics, but the only psx game she has seen is Silent Hill.
Qsilver7850
Gravedigger

Post by Qsilver7850 »

So are we saying the PSP version will suck? I was considering buying one and I was kind of using this game as another reason to get it.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

From Wii it will be ported to PS2, then ported to psp, the only discrepancies are going to graphics and lack of motion and pointer controls, als from what I've heard the PSP controls are going to be awkward, D-Pad for movement, analouge for touch. I honestly don't get all the worry.
True
Just Passing Through

Post by True »

Well, I'm glad I don't own a PSP then. As I've been saying for this whole time, this snazzy game's going to my Wii.