Reviving Survival Horror?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Re: Reviving Survival Horror?

Post by VIVIsect »

Remember when Silent Hill fans used to actually get pissed off if someone were to refer to Silent Hill as "survival horror"? It's kind of funny. These days, it's something we're aspiring to?
nobody is anybody
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

You know what, fuck "Survival Horror".

Silent Hill get's it's own genre.

Called: "Silent Hill".
SHF

Post by SHF »

residet evil is more survival horror( at least it used to be). silent hill is more psychological horror.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

The onlt franchises that are trying to stay true to their horror roots are the SH series and The SIREN series....i'd like to say the fatal frame series as well, i just don't like the combat with the camera, but outside of that those games are creepy as hell....I gotta admit tho...and while it's relatively new...i love Dead Space....it's tight dark corridors and that feeling of isolation was great...and the visuals were incredible.

I think the 2nd game is going to fall prey to the action horror crowd tho...why?...because EA asked gamers what they wanted to see in the 2nd game and the gamers stated.."we want issac to be more badass"...*face palm*....so you see this generation of mindless halo/call of duty/ FPS's fanatics are what's bringing down the quality of the horror genre.

Look at that new game from suda 51,akira and that mikami dude.....three of the greatest folks in the survival horror generation and they create that action horror garbage?.....i'll post a link to give you another reason why the survival horror genre is in the tank....

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-1 ... -of/704481

^^^seriously...this is the future of survival horror?....this is the best these 3 giants could come up with?...the current gen is filled with nothing but generic FPS's and this gen...is eating that stuff up and that is what sells unfortunately...
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Though Lunar Eclipse did have some western moments, it was still very atmospheric and good, I don't see what you hate about the camera, it's very innovative. And Amnesia/Penumbra have stayed to their roots. Some series are overlooked.

And yes, too many fucking Halo and OMG GUNS game-obsessed people these days. I mean, I have a cousin who thinks that Halo is the scariest game of all time. What the fuck? It's not scary, it's the same shit all over again. Run. Shoot. FPS. War. Action.

Everything is getting influenced from Hollywood boobs and gun tits action, it's annoying. Everything is changing, and people don't even have the idea of "scary" anymore. Almost nothing is psychological or implements good scares, and if it does, it's a series that a lot of people haven't even heard of. I'm going to murder the next developer who creates the next generic shooting game.

End of rant.
clips

Post by clips »

^^^Agreed...and i forgot about Amnesia and Penumbra...and while i haven't played them, i have seen vids...and yes they too are staying true to the horror genre.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

clips wrote:Look at that new game from suda 51,akira and that mikami dude.....three of the greatest folks in the survival horror generation and they create that action horror garbage?.....i'll post a link to give you another reason why the survival horror genre is in the tank....

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-1 ... -of/704481

^^^seriously...this is the future of survival horror?....this is the best these 3 giants could come up with?...the current gen is filled with nothing but generic FPS's and this gen...is eating that stuff up and that is what sells unfortunately...
That's pretty disappointing. I was looking forward to this game thinking it was going to be a true horror game.

Oh well, at least I only just discovered a whole list of horror games I had never played and some I've never heard of. Hopefully that will keep me occupied until another truly frightening game comes out.
SHF

Post by SHF »

post up that list. i would like to look at it.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

helldescent wrote:post up that list. i would like to look at it.
http://www.dreamdawn.com/sh/list.php
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Since when the fuck was Suda51 one of the big names in horror? He does nothing but make goofy shit.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

simeonalo wrote:Though Lunar Eclipse did have some western moments, it was still very atmospheric and good, I don't see what you hate about the camera, it's very innovative. And Amnesia/Penumbra have stayed to their roots. Some series are overlooked.

And yes, too many fucking Halo and OMG GUNS game-obsessed people these days. I mean, I have a cousin who thinks that Halo is the scariest game of all time. What the fuck? It's not scary, it's the same shit all over again. Run. Shoot. FPS. War. Action.

Everything is getting influenced from Hollywood boobs and gun tits action, it's annoying. Everything is changing, and people don't even have the idea of "scary" anymore. Almost nothing is psychological or implements good scares, and if it does, it's a series that a lot of people haven't even heard of. I'm going to murder the next developer who creates the next generic shooting game.

End of rant.

While i somewhat agree with you(WTF halo is not even a horror game how the hell is it scary in any way?) I get annoyed with the whole "anyone who plays FPS is stupid, i'm so deep because i don't play them and i like silent hill" mentality. I'm not a halo fan(really enjoy call of duty modern warfare 2 though) but there's nothing wrong with FPS games they don't make you stupid for playing in the same way that playing silent hill doesn't make you deep, you are who you are. FPS games are there for fast paced action fun, what's wrong with that? Not everything has to be "deep" and FPS never try to be. As far as people not having any idea of what scary is anymore, well that's what i thought when people said they found shattered memories to be a scary game. Also FPS does not influence the horror genre considering that they're two separate genres that aren't even close.
clips

Post by clips »

Heh...i was moreso dissin' the FPS crowd...it was mainly in response to what EA received from their focus group regarding what they wanted to see in dead space 2...along with them sayin' they wanted issac to be more badass..they wanted more high powered weapons and they wanted the theme of the game geared to be more "action".

My point is that for a horror game to sell today, it must have some type of action themed gameplay to it. Gamers today are not into the slow psychological horror that the SH franchise incorporates...there's no denying that FPS's are dominating this current gen...and it's cool that games like call of duty provide the experience that they're supposed to, i just feel that true horror games are suffering because of it.

Let an average gamer play a SH game and they'll walk away and call it boring...but throw in a half decent FPS, and they'll play that for hours....when i watch folks play these games i see them just skip thru cutscenes that involve the story...all they're interested in is blowin' up s**t and big guns.

At the end of the day these are all just games and are made strickly for entertainment, i just sometimes get irritated when every other game that comes out is a FPS....add to the fact that i hate fps...and it mostly adds up to be me just preferring third person gaming perspectives and strong storyline driven games...
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

simeonalo wrote:Everything is getting influenced from Hollywood boobs and gun tits action, it's annoying. Everything is changing, and people don't even have the idea of "scary" anymore. Almost nothing is psychological or implements good scares, and if it does, it's a series that a lot of people haven't even heard of. I'm going to murder the next developer who creates the next generic shooting game.

End of rant.
I have played videogames long enough to know that, if developers were capable of doing in 1985 what they do today, NES games would not be very different from what we see today. They're doing now what they've always wanted to do, what technology largely prohibited them from doing before.

As for the horror genre, it basically did not even exist until about 15 years ago in videogames.
SHF

Post by SHF »

and it seems to be pretty much nonexistent.