No combat - a retaliation?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

NothingLikeSleep

Post by NothingLikeSleep »

TANK wrote:not really that either Krysta, the foggy world would have dogs,(homecoming had schisms and dogs and others) sh2 had the lying figures etc. there are enemies in every aspect of the game. and if they leave them out of the foggy world, that is just one more thing they would have completely biffed on.
I think it would be cool if there were no enemies in foggy world. And a normal world with a population. It would be like nightmare on elm street kind of. know what i mean

also I enjoyed shh combat more so than silent hill origins
boyjson
Just Passing Through

Post by boyjson »

I am disgusted with the fact that there will be no combat. I understand the whole idea of "when you are scared you run for your life" crap. But this is not reality. In the SIMULATED reality that is Silent Hill you FIGHT for your life. It is one of the reasons I love the game. I find it strangely satisfying to be Harry Mason in the game and fight off monters to save my daughter. I know that the combat has always been kind of clunky. I just chalk it up to Harry Being a human and not very good with a pistol. I LOVE horror and horror based games but I HATED "Clock Tower" BECAUSE you can't fight back. I quit playing it early in the came because I got sick of it. I have always wanted to play that "Haunting Ground" game but you can't fight back! I don't want to play the week loser who runs crying when he is too scared. I want to play the "Pissed that my daughter is missing and some assholes may have my her and I am going to get her back and I won't let anything stand in my way" flawed hero. I know that most of this has been said before but I just needed to get my two cents in.
Clyde
Just Passing Through

Post by Clyde »

boyjson wrote:I am disgusted with the fact that there will be no combat. I understand the whole idea of "when you are scared you run for your life" crap. But this is not reality. In the SIMULATED reality that is Silent Hill you FIGHT for your life. It is one of the reasons I love the game. I find it strangely satisfying to be Harry Mason in the game and fight off monters to save my daughter. I know that the combat has always been kind of clunky. I just chalk it up to Harry Being a human and not very good with a pistol. I LOVE horror and horror based games but I HATED "Clock Tower" BECAUSE you can't fight back. I quit playing it early in the came because I got sick of it. I have always wanted to play that "Haunting Ground" game but you can't fight back! I don't want to play the week loser who runs crying when he is too scared. I want to play the "Pissed that my daughter is missing and some assholes may have my her and I am going to get her back and I won't let anything stand in my way" flawed hero. I know that most of this has been said before but I just needed to get my two cents in.
Now I'm imagining Harry Mason as Liam Neeson in Taken.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

You know what, I hated the combat in Homecoming (not the controls of it, I liked those, except the stupid dual analog strafe system thing, just the fact that the enemies were so hard and not really avoidable), but the lack of combat here worries me just a little.

I mean having no means to attack the enemies, that's kinda terrifying actually, and I think it could lead to some of the scariest survival horror moments we've ever known (Remember having next to no bullets in Resident Evil, having to run through a corridor hoping that they wouldn't get you? Imagine if they could follow you...), but on the other hand I'm a little worried that running from them could make you completely lose your bearings and could, in ways, damage the whole exploration and discovery thing. If you can destroy an enemy you can then examine the area you previously faced it in, find all of the hidden messages and frightening images etc.

What I'm hoping is that you can perhaps lure enemies into traps and such, if that makes sense? Perhaps you could trick an enemy into falling down a hole, electricuting itself, burning to death, etc. I love the thought of how scary non-beatable enemies could be (heck, every enemy is a Pyramid Head then), but I don't want to not be able to explore an area.

Also, one of the things I got excited about when I heard "Silent Hill on Wii" was the thought of flailing my arms to knock the crap out of things with an iron bar when they've frightened me - like channel the fear and anxiety into reflexes all the while screaming "get off me get off me get off me!", but then yeah, this method may be even scarier.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
woofy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by woofy »

Destructoid: Some series fans complained that Silent Hill: Homecoming focused too heavily on action and that playing in the role of Alex Shepard made gamers feel "too capable" when it came to combat. Did this factor into your decision to remove combat from Shattered Memories? If not, what brought the team to the decision to remove it?

Tomm: We've been hard at work on Shattered Memories for a long time, so it was not a direct reaction to any feedback from Homecoming.

Solved
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

Tomm Hulett, SHSM Producer, has confirmed that this is not the case. He states that:

We've been hard at work on Shattered Memories for a long time, so it was not a direct reaction to any feedback from Homecoming. But, we have noticed that a lot of recent survival horror games have started focusing far more on action than "survival." (This is not a knock at anyone, Silent Hill is just as guilty.) Really, they're action games with ickier monsters. Running low on ammo happens in any game with guns -- it's not unique to the horror genre. So we wanted to step back, clean the slate, and go back to the roots of what makes a "survival horror" game. How would we scare the player? What would we allow them to do, etc etc. To that end, we did not "remove" combat. We built a game where the action is not about killing monsters.

http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid- ... 0901.phtml
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
MEGADETH
Just Passing Through

Post by MEGADETH »

interesting...
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

The more I hear about Shattered Memories, the more I think it's really going to kick terrific amounts of ass.

And after hearing Mr. Hulett make those remarks about Pyramid Whoring, I really get the impression that this time, they're paying attention to us. I mean, I won't miss the standard Silent Hill combat (and certainly not the shit that made me stop playing Origins). The idea of a non-combative style of gameplay really appeals to me. My first runs through any Silent Hill game are always on the easy mode anyway, because I care far less about the game than the story it's trying to tell.

It remains to be seen whether they play as good a game as they talk, but at least this gentleman is saying all the right things so far.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Climax always have heard us... Remember how they remade all SH0 just cause the people didn't like how it was looking at first...

This is what makes me look forward at SH SM although it has some things that I don't like... I know that the new adventure of Harry will be amazing!!
Icewolf
Just Passing Through

Post by Icewolf »

I don't know why people bash the combat system in Homecoming in the first place, I personally think it's the best, my only issue is that you can spam the fast melee over and over and eventually they will die. I love how you have to aim yourself at the creatures, and I love the camera, but creatures shouldn't just sit there looking... uhh.. pretty?
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I don't think it's that it was a bad combat system, in fact it was a good one, I think it's the emphasis on the combat that bugs people.

With me at first I was so pleased that Alex was fast and capable in combat, but the fact that you pretty much have to kill every enemy else they'll follow you to the ends of the earth, and yet in some cases killing them makes more spawn, made the game incredibly frustrating, and despite the opinions of some critics, I found Silent Hill's fear to not be in the worry of getting your ass handed to you by monsters, but by the psychology of it all, and this one mostly relied on you going "SHIT, MONSTERS!" and didn't really bring any psychological scares in.

Also, it so badly needed an easy mode... I got to a point where it was so hard I just couldn't go any further, I was getting 'pwned' by Schizms, losing all of my health drinks and dying constantly. If it had an easy mode I'd have probably still considered it a good Silent Hill game (though probably the worst one).
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

I didn't find homecoming difficult, but I could tell it would be to many silent hill fans. The problem is that it was tailored for gamers who play a lot of action games, and silent hill was never known for it's action. I would compare the combat in the old games to combat in rpgs, more so than a game like, say, devil may cry because it was pretty much pressing one button to kill monsters. To some people I imagine they felt like a final fantasy fan would feel if they changed the combat into button mashing combos. I even remember a lot of people complaining that they wouldn't be able to play the game because they weren't familiar with the dual analog control scheme. A free camera is good, but I miss the old strange camera angles, as difficult as it could be to navigate at times.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I agree with you on that one. I didn't mind losing the camera angles but I'd have preferred a traditional analog movement - the whole thing where he locks his direction to that of a camera and sidesteps around feels really weird to me, and I don't think it makes any sense for a horror game (It's a shooting game control scheme!). But the thing is, I don't mind, but I was surprised they didn't have an option to switch axis, so that it'd be a little more like Resident Evil 4's controls or something.

I guess I'd have liked it better if they tailored it for Silent Hill fans or semi-casual gamers with an interest for horror rather than making it a hardcore game.

It was still nice to see a decent survival horror game on a next gen console though. Alone in the Dark was cool but it had so many fundamental problems.
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Well, it makes sense with Harry's non-military type background. I think it presents an interesting challenge, especially after SH:H's hack'n'slash approach. But retaliation? No. That would imply they don't want to make money off the franchise.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

Emptimass, I think they changed the hellish environments because they wanted to try something different, not to dumb it down. I haven't played Homecoming yet, but what I've seen is underwhelming at this point I have either become desensitized to Otherworld or the designers are not making it disturbing enough for me. So another type of otherworld aesthetic would be welcome as far as I'm concerned.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

It reminds me of the Clock Tower games. Which I'm a mutual fan of, I used to have Clock Tower 1&3 and they both fucked my ass up. o_0
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by HeresJohnny »

They must think "oh wow, were making SH on the Wii, there will be so much to do ppl won't need to fight monsters, they willl be too busy jumping and running and shitting, Yippee!" Yeah, I don't know what Climax is thinking if their removing all combat. Lets be optimistic though, maybe theywill pull it off nicely.
Made In Heaven
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Made In Heaven »

Forbidden Siren was made by one of the members of Team Silent it is still good though as for combat being removed from SM it might be a good thing if done right. Siren had a system where you Sight Jack into your enemies point of view in order to figure out a way to get around them.

I can easily see situations where you have to memorize enemies movement patterns or cause a distraction in order to get by then again that might be taking too many pages off of Siren's book.

I haven't played Home Coming but I don't care too much about Origins combat system even though it made the game more tense when I went through it relying only on my fists to kill monsters with.
[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/Irene21121/MIHSIG.png[/img]
Thanks starsail1929 for the awesome sig!