The new "Icy" look

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

I do not see how one of the most oppressive and dangerous environments possible could not be unsettling. It should be very easy to make such a horrific environment frightening; failure would most likely be the result of a deficiency of imagination on the developers' parts.
LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Post by LanceS133 »

I'm hoping to atleast feel the cold while playing.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Fidchell
Just Passing Through

Post by Fidchell »

Terminus wrote:I do not see how one of the most oppressive and dangerous environments possible could not be unsettling. It should be very easy to make such a horrific environment frightening; failure would most likely be the result of a deficiency of imagination on the developers' parts.
Um, because it ISN'T unsettling. You get a sense of danger, yes..maybe, but disturbing? No. Not the least bit. I can't imagine ice contributing to a disturbing atmosphere, but that's just me.
I like myself.

But that's another story.
Koshercrackers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Koshercrackers »

Good news to all you ice-haters! According to the lovely single new picture, you'll be getting at least a little of blood, rust, and bears.
Koshercrackers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Koshercrackers »

Well, we know from the new "bear" picture that there will be a few bloody, rusty places.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Koshercrackers wrote:Good news to all you ice-haters! According to the lovely single new picture, you'll be getting at least a little of blood, rust, and bears.
Um, got a link for us?
Your weaboo is showing
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

^This is the bloody-bear in the red light: http://shshatteredmemories.com/harry-cr ... s-screens/
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

That's not really the 'blood and rust' look, that's just a creepy bear.

I'm still not sold. The game doesn't look scary at all to me, maybe 'tense', but not scary.
Your weaboo is showing
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Be great if that bear came to life, and tried to attack your ass. :lol: Highly doubtful that that will happen though, but maybe my wish will come true.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

I am interested to see if the icy look changes as you progress further into the game. What we've seen is most likely just from the first half hour - hour of the game.

You can be terrifying in SH without rust. Blood and ice would make a spectacular combination. Anyone whose ever accidentlly hurt themselves in winter and bled on the ice knows that it's a pretty terrifying sight.

I'm hoping they shove bloody bodies and stuff under the ice, have frozen blood patches everywhere, perhaps even the whole place one icy bloody mess... but we'll see.

And I live in the northern part of the US, where it gets cold - VERY cold - in winter. It's a lonely place for about 6 months. This game is going to scare the living piss out of me.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

SilentObserver wrote:I am interested to see if the icy look changes as you progress further into the game. What we've seen is most likely just from the first half hour - hour of the game.
That may be true, but traditionally, the otherworld wasn't all that different from one scene to the next.
Blood and ice would make a spectacular combination.
It's odd when you say it that way because ice bags are generally used as first aid measures for external bleeding.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

Burning Man wrote: That may be true, but traditionally, the otherworld wasn't all that different from one scene to the next.
Except in SH4. I remember each "otherside" world getting progressively worse the further you went down that spiral staircase, until it culminated in a bloody mess at the apartment building. But I could be wrong, I'm playing that again right now anyway ;)

Also, in Origins .. the Hotel was the worst in terms of otherworld violence.
I think it's an interesting idea, I mean, we all get it, the reason why everything's so burned up and bloody. I see no reason why one person's nightmare should carry over into another game if that game has nothing to do with the person who created the nightmare. Isn't SH supposed to be a town that feeds on your fears? That's what this game is going to do .. and who knows, maybe new Harry just doesn't like being cold ;)

But we'll see, ice is slow-moving, and it would be great if the game's otherworlds progressed at a slow pace.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

I'm actually kind of shocked at the amount of people who cite a lack of blood and rust as exemplifying this game's failure. How auspicious.

Is that really all that's made Silent Hill important to you? Blood and rust?
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
SpaceProg
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SpaceProg »

Not for me. SH2 is my fave so far and it contains far less blood and/or rust than the others.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Hell yeah man, me too.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Nope, I never really cared for the graphic amounts of blood and rust, hell I like 2 for that reason. How it seemed to be a purgatory and not a hell. But, I don't mind it, I found 3's otherworld to quite grotesque

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

neonblack wrote:Is that really all that's made Silent Hill important to you? Blood and rust?
I thought we were comparing "otherworlds," actually, and which is more horrifying. However, I don't necessarily believe that the "otherworld" must have blood and rust to bring the point home. Angela's staircase on fire - the one the developers cited as inspiration for the icy otherworld - is devoid of these elements, but it does its job. Then again, fire has strong imagery. Certain religions believe that fire cleanses one's soul, so there's that religious aspect, too.

An icy otherworld in itself reminds me of Eddie's otherworld, if you can call it that. I thought it was the weakest of the three.
SilentObserver wrote:I see no reason why one person's nightmare should carry over into another game if that game has nothing to do with the person who created the nightmare. Isn't SH supposed to be a town that feeds on your fears?
Certainly. But I think part of the point in the otherworld is so that the general audience can relate to it as well and share the horror behind it. Unlike rust and blood, fire even, ice is bit touchy because not everyone can relate to it easily. You live in the North, so you have a better idea of isolation that ice can convey. But for people who've lived in the South for most of their lives, they barely see snow at all, and on a hot, sweaty day like this one, ice gives you an image of an ice-cold beer... which is ironic when you think of how Climax puts all these images of alcoholic beverages depending on your psyche profile.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

I thought we were comparing "otherworlds," actually, and which is more horrifying.
I was only commenting on the excess negativity on the forum regarding the otherworld and its apparent lack of traditional elements. Sort of arbitrarily sparked by recent posts in this thread. Sorry for the confusion.

Being a southerner myself, I can't relate to the snow - but I could imagine the isolation and terror that must accompany such storms. It'll be effective, I'm sure, but regardless I'm more interested in the supernatural nature of the otherworld than the horror it will provide - the way it manifests rather than the manifestation itself - and I can't wait to see what's in store for each of us.
Last edited by neonblack on 29 Sep 2009, edited 1 time in total.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

Burning Man wrote:
neonblack wrote:Is that really all that's made Silent Hill important to you? Blood and rust?
Certainly. But I think part of the point in the otherworld is so that the general audience can relate to it as well and share the horror behind it. Unlike rust and blood, fire even, ice is bit touchy because not everyone can relate to it easily. You live in the North, so you have a better idea of isolation that ice can convey. But for people who've lived in the South for most of their lives, they barely see snow at all, and on a hot, sweaty day like this one, ice gives you an image of an ice-cold beer... which is ironic when you think of how Climax puts all these images of alcoholic beverages depending on your psyche profile.
On the other hand, people who have never experienced snow would be much more frightened of a blizzard than people who lived through them their entire lives. An important component of fear is the unknown, not knowing what to do, what's going on, or what will happen for instance. But as you said, its more to the individual. Personally, I'd be more terrified of getting attacked by monsters in a blizzard than a building with rust and blood. At least rust and blood can't kill you, unlike the cold can.
Jecht
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Jecht »

You could get lock-jaw from Rust and AIDS from blood...Sorry I didn't mean to be a smartass

I live in Ohio so I've lived through many blizzards and snow storms, so I'm not quite as afraid as most would be. One thing I think I would fear would be flooding.