ANOTHER Silent Hill universe...?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

StaticRadio
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by StaticRadio »

phix95 wrote:Well, but SH4 wasn't even supposed to be a SH game. I think if they stuck w/basically the formula of SH3 on it would be ok.

And I agree...no matter WHO you are, if you are LITERALLY in the midst of Silent Hill, you-would-be-fu**ing-scared! I have not played Homecoming but it's quite common in the SH games for the characters to not really seem realistically scared. I remember commenting on how nonchalant Travis was, like he was stoned and had no idea he was in hell. I would be having panic attacks and talking to myself! SH characters may go "What is going on in this town?" or an occasional "What was that?" but come on! You're not at your in laws, you're in SILENT HILL! YOU'RE SCARED!
Can you imagine them implementing panic attacks in-game? That could actually work with the whole psych evaluation. Most people would probably get pissed off at it, but I suppose it could work a bit like the sanity meter in Eternal Darkness...Hmm.
"Just because you're paranoid...don't mean they're not after you"
phix95
Just Passing Through

Post by phix95 »

It's an idea. But if Eternal Darkness is what I'm thinking it is, it was very cool, but very hard b/c of that meter. :(
StaticRadio
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by StaticRadio »

It did make the game difficult at times, but it was also one of the most memorable gameplay elements.

The idea I have is something like that...If Harry gets too riled up from running into monsters, he'll have to find a place to rest and regain his composure, take a breather, what have you. To be honest it's probably more similar in function to the Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth sanity system than ED, but whatever.

I don't think Harry having glasses is a big deal however. My question is can he lose them and have one of those Velma-from-Scooby-Doo moments where he's down on all fours going "Jinkies! I can't find my glasses!" :lol:
"Just because you're paranoid...don't mean they're not after you"
woofy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by woofy »

^ LMAO.. the visuals!!!
phix95
Just Passing Through

Post by phix95 »

LOL! Poor Harry! But he's a good guy 8)
I can see the taking a breather thing... BUT...if you're running your ass off from these things that can FOLLOW you everywhere, there will be no where to go to relax. Getting away from the creatures I'm sure will be hard enough. That's the prob. I had with Haunting Ground, E.D...seems there's no where to go when you need to stop and then you get trampled.
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

I just hope Harry doesn't get tired and slow, requiring energy drinks to be consumed. I am, however, supportive of a wiimote based minigame in which Harry pathetically scrambles around on his hands and knees desperately attempting to swipe snow away to find his lost glasses, with monsters poking him and ridiculing him. Attempting to steal his retainer/inhaler.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

^Ha! Oh, that's a great visual.
Poet wrote:Everyone just needs to keep their damned pants on.
No can do, sorry. The new flashlight makes me want to touch myself.

What? Individual snowflakes will cast shadows?! *fapfapfap*
Julian lyal
Just Passing Through

Post by Julian lyal »

hahahahaha
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

haha. Masturbation. (sorry can't help but ruining a good joke by stating the obvious! Bad habit) But seriously. Pants off to climax for making me reach their namesake. (Get it?!?!?!) When are we getting a damn trailer, or some gameplay footage? I'm starting to get the shakes here...
Poet
Just Passing Through

Post by Poet »

JuriDawn wrote:^Ha! Oh, that's a great visual.
Poet wrote:Everyone just needs to keep their damned pants on.
No can do, sorry. The new flashlight makes me want to touch myself.

What? Individual snowflakes will cast shadows?! *fapfapfap*
Speaking of the flashlight, anyone notice the subtle dig on Homecoming in the interview?
You ever noticed how 360/PS3 games often go out of their way to show you how good their lighting is? The classic example is a light behind a wall fan, that kind of thing. We don't have to do that because the light is in your hand. It's awesome.
Let's face it, everywhere they could justify putting a fan with light behind it in Homecoming, they fucking did.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes.
TleilaxuEyes
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TleilaxuEyes »

AuraTwilight wrote:assuming the two games are canon, there's two comic 'verses and two phone game 'verses.
I'm guessing the 3 that are worth caring about are the main seriers, the movie, and Shattered Memories. If so, I definitely agree that the main series and the movie were awesome and the comics and arcade game suck
The Arcade game was pretty good, despite it's problems. I think the plot could have been altered and remade for a canonical game.
the TV show (with two endings)
Two parts of the same ending actually :p
Wow, it is 8. Dang, this makes me sad, for some reason. There's a fine line between expanding a franchise and whoring it. I do my best to see SH as doing the former, but it gets hard.

So you'd actually recommend the arcade game? Perhaps I'll give it a chance after all. Thanks.

Also, I'm glad a lot of people here really seem to know their Evangelion. And I actually do like Rebuild, but I digress.

I'm going to go ahead and jump on the "DON'T REMAKE SH2!" bandwagon. Since they're redoing 1, I don't mind so much if they re-whatever SH3, but I really think they should just leave SH2 alone (and SH4, for that matter). I think those games are fine the way they are, and the major spoilers for SH2 have already been around for a while, so unless they greatly change the plot (and unless they're as good as Team Silent was with SH2, they'll probably ruin it) the SH2 remake would lack the surprise and mystery the original had. I'm also one of the few people who liked SH4 the way it is, but whatever.

I must admit that I'm looking forward to Shattered Memories, but I'm not going to get my expectations too high. I'll just wait and see how it is. There aren't a whole lot of other options.
I'm the kind of kid that can't let anything go
But you wouldn't know a good thing if it came up
And slit your throat.
-"My Heart is the Worst Kind of Weapon" by Fall Out Boy

Thanks for the avatar, ST3wolf!
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

So you'd actually recommend the arcade game? Perhaps I'll give it a chance after all. Thanks.
Yea, as a rail shooter, it's the best, and yea, there are problems with the abundance of monsters and the lack of symbolism, and how there's too many people around to allow for multiplayer, but if you fixed those issues and ported it as a normal SH game, you've got something that would work, as it tells a pretty good story about the Little Baroness.

Yes, I'm actually recommending an arcade shooter for the storyline, bitches.

as for the remaking of SH2 and stuff, I would hope that since they're totally altering the story of SH1, they make their own timeline with their own scenarios.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Chris Sunderland
Historical Society Historian

Post by Chris Sunderland »

I think this is a great idea. This is Silent Hill's "REmake" if you will. Done in a way uniquely Silent Hill. REmake took the original Resident Evil and expanded it, better graphics, altered locations and new story elements (such as the Lisa Trevor bits). Shattered Memories seems to use SH1 as a template, like John Capenters the Thing used the original "The thing", it takes the premise and fucks with it to create something new. Plus if it sucks then we can write it off as a spin off, if it's good then it could be a rebirth for a series that has been getting abit stale.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
phix95
Just Passing Through

Post by phix95 »

Hmmm...I don't consider it the same as the REmake...that, I believe, didn't change the timeline of events...it added events IN (eg Lisa Trevor); This SH is obviously not in the 70s due to the stupid phone, unless he's in some parallel universe or he died and came back to present day somehow.
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

They are similar but you can't compare Shattered Memories and REmake, for they are two different games.

REmake is a remake of Resident Evil 1 with no modifications to the original story and additions to nearly every aspect.

Shattered Memories is a Re-imagining, a What if scenario if you will, In this Re-imagining, Silent Hill takes place in a Modern setting and Harry's Psych affects the game.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
fukuro lady
Just Passing Through

Post by fukuro lady »

There is no Silent Hill pope dictating what criteria must be met in order for this to be a SRS BIZNS Silent Hill©™ game.
Hilarious! Nearly wet myself when I read that!

I'm sitting on the fence with this one, I didn't hate origins and I didn't hate Homecoming, but I definitely liked SH1-4 a lot more. I've had to come to terms with the fact that Team Silent likely won't be back and that the original SH games cannot be reproduced.

With that in mind I also have to accept that there are very little games in the survival horror genre and its probable that I will buy and play them all just so I can use my damned console more that 5 times a year! :lol:

On face value many of the things I have seen in this thread I agree with in regards to the 'lhameness' of what climax is doing, but it just seems like they are the same things I thought before Homecoming came out. And Homecoming wasn't fantastic but it certainly served a purpose and I did enjoy it. (Bar the insertion of PH, will never get over that bullshit :x )

The fact is I love Silent Hill, the original game, nearly more than life itself. I do not want to see it butchered but I do want to replay it in any form. Therefore I am stuck in a vortex of conflicting thoughts that I cannot escape from and will most likely internally combust before the fucking game is even released.
[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m81/buttonpics/sigs/fl1.png[/img]
If I crashed my car/woke up in Silent Hill, I would take the gun I find in the Cafe and blow my f**king brains out.
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

What really sucks is that since they keep making these games, people will complain that they aren't nearly as good as the originals and all that. But on the flip side, if they had stopped at part four we'd all be clamoring for more silent hill games. It's a double edged dick dudes, and no matter what we'd be unsatisfied.
Poet
Just Passing Through

Post by Poet »

It's a double edged dick dudes
Wow. Just...wow.
He does have a point, though. The hardcore fanboys will bitch no matter what, because it isn't a flawless reproduction of their favorite SH game. But if nothing more were being made, the fanboys would bitch because there's no new material for them to fangasm over.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes.
phix95
Just Passing Through

Post by phix95 »

Yes, I'd def. bitch if they had stopped. But I'd rather, instead, that the original team waited like 5 years or whatever it took and made another game themselves.
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

They'll probably never be back. What "other projects" did they leave the series to work on, anyway?