Fight or Flight? Discuss combat (or lack of) here

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Fight or Flight?

Fight!
29%
Flight!
29%
Either
42%

Total votes: 129

Whispered-Rain
Just Passing Through

Post by Whispered-Rain »

Well, personally I enjoyed Homecomings combat system. I don't mind fighting in a game, and even being able to have Alex kick some ass didn't stop me from being freaked out at times. Mainly because the monsters were fairly challenging and you couldn't just run away at times. Or at least running proved difficult. Plus the bosses were excellent in my opinion.

On the other hand, I think that not being able to fight at all would really raise the fear factor, at least innicially. I'll admit I felt far more confident playing homecoming than I did any other silent hill game because I could beat the crap out of the creatures pretty efficiently.

I'm excited to see what all flight would be like.
There are issues with it becoming repetitive, but fighting wasn't repetitive to me, so I'm not too concerned about that. Hopefully there will be down time to get to look around a bit in interesting areas too.
I do agree that I like having the option of fighting when I need to or feel inclined to.

I wonder if Harry will get tired in this game after running awhile and slow down?
I'm sure that will only add to the horror of having to run away...

Realistically though, if I was ever in silent hill, I would probably just book it, even if I had a weapon. The idea of getting close enough to actually hit the monster with a pipe is horrifying to me. I also wouldn't want to risk getting injured because I would be so much more vulnerable and may be less able to run away, so I'd basically be roast dog. Not to mention the fact that there would be no health drinks just lying around in real life like SH3girl32 said.

Although if there were, I wonder what health drinks taste like? Maybe the whole time they were really just chocolate milk and no one knew. The healing was all in there heads! :p
I don't know how you wouldn't notice the distinct taste of chocolate milk though...

Yea, sorry that was kind of off topic. Moving on...
Xerophan
Just Passing Through

Post by Xerophan »

Sometimes the best offense is a good defense. Slightly unrelative quote.

Anyway, the game's basically already sold to me, after that comment about the game testers asking to stop because it was too scary. To be honest, I don't really see how anyone could get THAT scared from a game, but perhaps it was a slight exaggeration to show the extent of the scares that the game offers. At any rate, being weaponless will most definitely add to the scare factor. Just to prove this to myself, I began replaying SH2, and even on the hardest difficulty I was not one bit scared of the enemies, as they were easy to take down with a weapon. On the other hand, SH2 just isn't that scary period....It just has a great story.

The exception would be SH1. While there is combat in that game, it still scares the shit out of me because of its dark tones and demented monsters/story. So, if SM can live up to those aspects, it should be a great game, weapons or no.
2 Favorite Quotes:

"[color=#0000FF]I was weak. That’s why I needed you.... Needed someone to punish me for my sins.... But that’s all over now.... I know the truth.... Now it’s time to end this."[/color]--James Sunderland

[color=#BF0000]"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty....It's all the same once you're dead. And a corpse can't laugh."[/color]--Eddie
DrainDeimos
Just Passing Through

Post by DrainDeimos »

I've always felt that killing enemies released pressure from the game's horror. Typically, in SH it was really difficult to take on more than a single enemy at a time. So, when I went into a new room I would systematically clear it out to allow me to feel more comfortable. It was the places that were so full of monsters or the moments that I was too low on resources for fighting that really scared me.

I recognize combat as a dial that allows players to turn down the horror when it becomes too much for them. Taking that aspect of control away from players seems to make a few people here pretty uncomfortable. Keeping players in a constant state of helplessness is the most optimal way to keep the scares running high.
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

I want to fight!
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
Xerophan
Just Passing Through

Post by Xerophan »

Keeping players in a constant state of helplessness is the most optimal way to keep the scares running high.

And we have a winning statement! That seems to sum up the mood of the game rather well. Well, based on things I've read about it, at least. Let's just hope that the fear factor does, indeed, run high.
2 Favorite Quotes:

"[color=#0000FF]I was weak. That’s why I needed you.... Needed someone to punish me for my sins.... But that’s all over now.... I know the truth.... Now it’s time to end this."[/color]--James Sunderland

[color=#BF0000]"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty....It's all the same once you're dead. And a corpse can't laugh."[/color]--Eddie
Revolverhawk
Just Passing Through

Post by Revolverhawk »

Xerophan wrote:
Keeping players in a constant state of helplessness is the most optimal way to keep the scares running high.

And we have a winning statement! That seems to sum up the mood of the game rather well. Well, based on things I've read about it, at least. Let's just hope that the fear factor does, indeed, run high.
Your missing the point. The problem isn't that you can solve problems without violence. The problem is that you can't solve problems WITH violence.

Simply put, they let us choose wether we get bitch Cybil or sexy Cybil. They let us choose a lot of stuff in this game. But they don't let us choose on the combat issue. They simply said "Our preference here is superior to yours. Shut up and deal with it."

The basic concept behind shattered memories-tailoring the experience to the player- is a great idea. But they didn't take it far enough. If you want to be helpless, fine. But other players don't want to be. So why are they left out? Why not just add another question to the Questionaire?

"If you were attacked, would you defend yourself or run away?"

It would be that simple.
Xerophan
Just Passing Through

Post by Xerophan »

Revolverhawk wrote:
Xerophan wrote:

Your missing the point. The problem isn't that you can solve problems without violence. The problem is that you can't solve problems WITH violence.

Simply put, they let us choose wether we get bitch Cybil or sexy Cybil. They let us choose a lot of stuff in this game. But they don't let us choose on the combat issue. They simply said "Our preference here is superior to yours. Shut up and deal with it."

The basic concept behind shattered memories-tailoring the experience to the player- is a great idea. But they didn't take it far enough. If you want to be helpless, fine. But other players don't want to be. So why are they left out? Why not just add another question to the Questionaire?

It would be that simple.
While I am pumped about the no combat scheme, I do agree that it's a little not-so-great that they have completely left out the option of combat, seeing as, like you stated, it is a very choice-driven game. However, since this is how they announced the game to be from the beginning, I'm quite alright with it. It's just how the game is. If you want combat, don't forget you've still got the other SH games to peruse and fight in. For those that want combat more than a refreshing new take on a SH game, here is some advice: don't buy SM. Stick with the oldies.
2 Favorite Quotes:

DrainDeimos
Just Passing Through

Post by DrainDeimos »

Revolverhawk wrote:
Xerophan wrote:

It would be that simple.
The game is trying to scare you. If it had that question on the questionnaire and you picked "defend yourself" wouldn't it just take all your weapons away since that is what would make you the most uncomfortable?

I think that you are missing the point of this game.
unreadphilosophy
Historical Society Historian

Post by unreadphilosophy »

I prefer either or.

However, my position on what the developers choose (fight or flight) can change depending on the enemies. If the creatures don't seem like things I like to waste my bullets on, I'll wish it were "flight." However, if I come across a "flight" game where I wish I could just cap a bullet into an enemy, I'll wish the game were "fight."
reap28
Just Passing Through

Post by reap28 »

Is harry dumb or something use you flashlight like in doom 3 when ever your out of ammo a good smack with your flashlight and they are dead :D This look interesting and different but i dont like running like the jenkins all the time you know
Wilson
Just Passing Through

Post by Wilson »

Using your only form of lighting in an otherwise dark, cold environment (both adjectives are an understatement), in replacement of say, any melee weapon is a no-no. It would be like using asbestos to build homes, it isnt a good idea; we all know how that one turned out.

I think enough 'fighting' exists as it is from what we've seen; Harry only does what is necessary to survive and no more, no less (this being throwing the Raw Shocks to the ground, obstructing enemies with the environment), as anyone would really. I'd be content with this. I'll add that if the option to see behind Harry as he's running didnt exist, I'd be at least a little disappointed. It's somehow assuring, know exactly what it is thats going grope you to death.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

All the people who think it is likely that Harry, whilst running for his life with grotesque inhuman monstrosities on his tail, would stop to pick up a bludgeon and attempt to somehow destroy the monsters while running for his life trigger gigantic 'wtf' moments deep down within my soul. Throwing them off of you and obstructing their path makes more sense, people.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
lumpo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by lumpo »

Running is the way to go. You can't just smash your nightmares away can you?
reap28
Just Passing Through

Post by reap28 »

lumpo wrote:Running is the way to go. You can't just smash your nightmares away can you?
Why not? run forever or get that hammer over there there is a saying you cant run from the past and isnt that what silent hill is? people who are there have a troubled past and it is coming back to bite them in the ass?
lumpo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by lumpo »

Don't act so macho. A lot of people such as myself get scared from demonic creatures. The combat in the old silent hills were retarded enough. ( aka heather with a machine gun)

Oh you can't run from your past. But you don't have to hit it with a hammer either, all you have to do is realize your past, no one says I need to go all ninja gaiden on it, just need to accept it.
Wilson
Just Passing Through

Post by Wilson »

lumpo wrote:Oh you can't run from your past. But you don't have to hit it with a hammer either
And under the assumption that Harry's past in this game revolves around his daughter. Ohhh deary deary me.
lumpo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by lumpo »

You gave me some bad thoughts. * remembers may from clocktower 3 and her head being smashed...*
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I generally prefer to have combat, but I've enjoyed a couple of horror games without it before, and am looking forward to this one.
Harrys_Girl wrote:I kinda like the idea of starting the game off more passive, running from monsters (which tends to be my stratgey anyway), barraciding doors behind you to solve puzzles in peace... but then as the game progressed the characters would become more bold and more able/willing to use weapons against the enemies instead of running
That sounds good to me.

As crappy as it supposedly was, I always enjoyed the combat in the SH games and think I will feel strange playing a Silent Hill game stripped of it. I'm sure I'll miss it. But just because this will be a bit of a different experience doesn't mean it won't be great.
SPRINGS02
Historical Society Historian
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

i like the idea of some combat mixed in with hiding. It should make the game alot more tense i mean siren blood curse has the whole hiding system and i'd have to say it definitely makes the experience more tense.