The Soundtrack Discussion Thread

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Home Town is awesome, It's a great vocal track that summarizes Harry's adventure and how he was killed in Silent Hill 3 in a few minutes, I would buy the game just to hear the soundtrack if it had Home town in it.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
Droo

Post by Droo »

Hometown summarizes nothing. It reads like bad emo poetry scribbled in black Sharpie in the notebook of some 14 year old kid. Hometown is unquestionably one of the very worst tracks in the entire series, and one that taints the Silent Hill main Theme by association.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

I still think its a Good track and deserves a place in the OST of Shattered Memories, maybe not as the main theme but as a Bonus for those who like it.

~Drake

Droo

Post by Droo »

Why? It already has a spot on a soundtrack: SH3's. It's really quite irrelevant to Shattered Memories. We all have songs from any one of the six soundtracks that we like. They can't all be on there.

The songs from SH1 definitely should be included because this is a remake of the original.
Lives in the mirror"
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

It's still related though, as I said, it could be included for those who like it as a bonus, to maybe be played during the credits or such.

~Drake

BarbwireEmbrace
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by BarbwireEmbrace »

I think some of the original songs should be on it, like the theme. Some new compositions wouldn't hurt.
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

it would be interesting if Akira returned to his more minimalist industrial style ala SH1

I also think to fit with an ice theme there should be some ambient and chilling tracks, think along the lines of White Noise aka Reflections from SH2

oh and some straight remixes of tracks from SH1 would be cool too (as others have mentioned)
put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

I'm just looking for something new. I would like to hear a few of the original songs remixed or improved but for the most part I wasn't too fond of the SH1 OST. It wasn't something that I could listen to for fun but it worked well in-game. Yamaoka is working on the new music as we speak! That's exciting to me. I wonder if there will be many vocal tracks...
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

I hope their is some Vocal tracks (Hopefully by Mary Elizabeth), it would just feel a little dated if they didn't, I'm so use to at least one Vocal track, that it'd be strange if their wasn't one.

~Drake

Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Droo wrote:Hometown summarizes nothing. It reads like bad emo poetry scribbled in black Sharpie in the notebook of some 14 year old kid. Hometown is unquestionably one of the very worst tracks in the entire series, and one that taints the Silent Hill main Theme by association.
Speak for yourself, hombre. The song isn't 'emo poetry' in the slightest. It's about Silent Hill and the effects of it. Nothing dark or mopey or BAWWWWWWWWWWWW about it.

Christ stop being so dramatic. The theme song isn't tainted, it's not unquestionably the worst--fuck, it really isn't that bad.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

DarkMatter wrote:I'm hoping they pull a Resident Evil Remake. Just reproduce the soundtrack with better quality.
I'm hoping for this as well...it just wouldn't be Silent Hill is if didn't hear the opening track or Not Tomorrow! If Climax decides to redo the "bloopers" as well they I hope Silent Hill (otherside) is used!
My Websites!
Image Image Image
Martee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Martee »

Droo wrote:Hometown summarizes nothing. It reads like bad emo poetry scribbled in black Sharpie in the notebook of some 14 year old kid. Hometown is unquestionably one of the very worst tracks in the entire series, and one that taints the Silent Hill main Theme by association.
Personally I think Hometown is one of the best tracks, and I think it makes the main theme even better by expanding upon it. Also the fact that you're pretty much basing the entire track solely on the lyrics/singing is kind of ignorant of the overall feel/atmosphere and how well the track pulls off what it was aiming to achieve.
Also if you think about it, the lyrics could even be taken straight out of the 'notebook' that was 'scribbled in black sharpie' by Harry during the first game whenever he saved his progress :P.
My supply fell through...
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Thank you, Hometown is a good track
Sure the guy is no Mary Elizabeth, but he stills sings the song at a good level.

~Drake

DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

"Hometown" is an all-right song, but I could seriously do without Joe Romersa's strange singing style. It was distracting, and I thought Akira did a good job mixing up the original theme into a more trip-hop style. "Cradle of Forest" was better, but I still didn't like Joe's singing.

If Mary Elizabeth McGlynn had sung it, I might have put it into my iPod playlist.
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

Yamaoka needs to make the music more like what he did for the first two games. I'd also prefer that he drop the vocals.
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Why? The vocals are some of the best music tracks in all of Silent Hill,
I'd prefer it if he made Half of the soundtrack, just vocals by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn
Along with themes and such.

~Drake

Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

A lot of the lyrics for the vocal tracks are very awkward. I also find it very distracting and annoying when a vocal track is playing during a scene with dialog, such as in the car scene from Silent Hill 3, or the scene with Joseph in Silent Hill 4. I also feel that McGlynn overdid her singing for the last two soundtracks, which makes them sound even more awkward to me.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Overdid her singing? I dunno.. I don't hear any singing difference in terms of style from her appearance in 3 up til the Homecoming tracks. What are you talking about?
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

I'm talking about tracks like "Hole In The Sky" from the Silent Hill: Origins OST. The best I can do to describe it is that she sounds too forceful to me. Althought, I'm not very knowledgeable about music and vocals, so I don't really know if "forceful" is the appropriate word.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Vocals during scenes with dialogue = bad idea. As much as I love McGlynn's vocals, there are appropriate times for vocal tracks and inappropriate times.

The lyrics problem can be easily solved by getting decent lyricists to write them. The music is already written for these tracks and then Nora Stevens and Joe Romersa wrote the lyrics for them.

What they need to do is tighten up the lyrics and they will be much better.

But yes, half the soundtrack being vocal tracks would be excessive.
Lives in the mirror"