Do you think Silent Hill Origins was worth playing?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you think Silent Hill Origins was worth playing?

Yes
76%
50/50
19%
No
6%

Total votes: 86

KageReneko
Subway Guard

Re: Do you think Silent Hill Origins was worth playing?

Post by KageReneko »

Maybe Trav didn't like how Kauffman talked to him so he wanted to kick his ass and teach him to be polite... Also, if Alessa was summoning him Trav just had the need of seeking for her without any logical reason; also, the streets are destroyed and there is no way to leave the town so Travis hadn't another choice besides going to the sanitarium where everything started to get more personal...
Sajun
Just Passing Through

Post by Sajun »

At any rate, after playing the game for about another 2 hours I decided that I hate it...

Okay, so you can only run for like 15 seconds before he's out of breath and resumes walking speed, but when you're out and about in the town for the first time, the acid spitty things are chasing you non-stop. Maybe my game is busted or something but they never stop chasing me. At one point I'm basically crawling away from 4 of them, all of which can walk faster than I can walk when out of breath.

Oh and at this point I had 0 weapons, because someone thought it'd be a neat idea if weapons break in this game.

I can see how the game could be the scariest in the series (though I'm personally being more scared while playing SH1), but the busted controls and combat system make for a really bad experience, and because of that I can't even force myself to enjoy the story and atmosphere, even with the shortcomings.

Sadly I think SH Origins will be sitting on my shelf from now on, because while I don't plan on playing it, I still have an addiction to collecting ps2 games. =)
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ I do think his running speed is a bit slow, but Travis runs fast enough even at his slowest that he can get away from enemies. If you have 0 weapons, you must have been ignoring them or unable to see them in the enviroments because they give you two or three times as many weapons as you need. If you've been playing for two hours, you should also have a gun or three. I think it's scarier than 4 or Homecoming but not as much as the first three games. One of my friends thought it was the scariest for personal reasons. The combat really isn't the focus of the game, gameplay wise. The enjoyable part is the level design and puzzles. If you're playing the PS2 version, you should know that the PSP version is a bit better, though I like both versions.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Asphyxia606
Just Passing Through

Post by Asphyxia606 »

It's still boring and uninteresting as hell :(
Previous SHH Accounts - BlackFire, BlackFire2
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Although Travis getting tired so fast is annoying it is also a bit realistic; you know the guy spends almost all his time behind the wheel of his truck so it's obvious his physical condition can't be good...

Every damn creature in the streets respawns almost immediately you kill it so it's useless to fight there unless it's completely neccesary... This isn't the case inside the buildings, a creature stays dead and it just respawns after an specific event...

Also; zero weapons?? Have you searched around the streets? There are several wood sticks, and hammers laying around!! Never fight in the streets and try to save your portable TV's for the roadkills creatures...

Anyway, if you don't want to play it anymore it is your decision... I still playing Homecoming in order to get all the endings although LOTS of stuff about that game annoy me so much (The bad thing is that I lost my save file so I had to start over again)
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

Yea there's a million weapons around. His pockets are able to hold pretty much the entire town of Silent Hill.

It is pretty annoying that Travis tries out but it's so damn easy to avoid most of the monsters, even when it's completely tired out. I think they set it up so the monsters tend to move a pace or so slower than him. So so the tension is always there with monsters right behind you but they can't ever actually catch up with you. The game would be WAY too cheap if they could.

It's why I tend to save all the energy drinks for the second time you have to go through outside areas. First time is for exploration and second time is to get the fuck out of there.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

"His pockets are able to hold pretty much the entire town of Silent Hill."
Same that all the other Silent Hill main characters...

"It is pretty annoying that Travis tries out but it's so damn easy to avoid most of the monsters, even when it's completely tired out. I think they set it up so the monsters tend to move a pace or so slower than him. So so the tension is always there with monsters right behind you but they can't ever actually catch up with you. The game would be WAY too cheap if they could."
At least in SH0 the creatures actually run to you; the creatures in the streets of SH2 are more useless, they just walk sooooooooo slow...
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Like everyone said, if you don't have any weapons you're not even trying to search the town.

Seriously, there's thousands of weapons pretty much everywhere. Be it a wooden stick or a sub-machine gun.

Also, if you find yourself with a problem while running away from monsters just let some of them catch you (Straight-Jackets and Nurses, for example).
You'll have to do a QTE to get out from their grasp but this also makes the enemies a little "dizzy", open to free attacks.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Just don't try that with the roadkills, those bastards will kill you in no time...
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I recently read the thread debating the canonicity of Origins, and it got me in the mood for replaying the game. After running around for a while, it finally dawned on me after three or four playthroughs how seriously kick ass the outdoor areas are. I was just wandering around and stumbled upon a scrap yard I never knew I could explore before. That hasn't happened to me in an SH game in ages. I'll say this about Origins: it's the only SH game since 2 to really nail the exploration aspect. There are so many nooks and crannies to poke around in. Of course, you have to keep your wits about you as there are way too many monsters around when you're outside. And by the way, respawns suck and should be banned from gaming forever. That's just something I learned to truly appreciate in this game. Origins is definitely worth playing.

The funny thing is, I absolutely despised this game when I first played it. I felt that it was too hard and way too cheap. Everything frustrated me and I just gave up eventually. When I decided to go back and replay it about a year later just for the sake of completeness, I enjoyed it a lot. In fact, I played through three times to get the three different endings. But I still feel a sharply negative thought creep into the back of my mind whenever I get to thinking about it. It's like my first time playing was like a fire that burned me so badly I can still ever so slightly feel its heat to this day. Sorry for waxing poetic, but that's just the way it seems.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Everything I'm about to say is stuff I've said before in similar threads, but... I'll summarize:

I really like Origins a lot, and whenever I play through the series, it's included. I think both aspects of the story could have been done much better. I could actually have done without Travis' personal aspect of it, and would have appreciated more of a focus on, more accuracy with, and more WORTHWHILE cult/Alessa related things, since it is called "Origins" and all... Still, I didn't find it to be TERRIBLE story-wise.
I didn't quite like Origins' versions of most of the characters, but of Alessa in particular.

That being said, I absolutely love the environments/locations and atmosphere of the game. That counts for a lot to me, obviously. The mirror-mechanic seemed a bit stupid to me at first, but I ended up loving the way they worked it in with progressing through the environments. Traversing through the outdoors was great as well. Having a couple of non-essential locations that you can discover through exploring is always a nice thing.

It's about as replayable as any game in the series to me. I guess the negative things I mentioned seem pretty major, but I just find it to be a very enjoyable game.
Hades
Just Passing Through

Post by Hades »

It was my second Silent Hill game, so hell yeah. My first was Shattered Memories, so Origins was really my introduction to the "true" Silent Hill experience, and storyline.

I've played Silent Hill 1, and Silent Hill 3 as well... and to be honest, they really did an amazing job with Origin's otherworld atmosphere when compared to the other games. It just didn't feel as intense on the other Silent Hill's. But maybe that's because Origins had desensitized me by the time I got to Silent Hill 1 and 3.
Apatheria
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apatheria »

Oh, sure. It was worth playing once. Once.

However, I rarely have any desire to pick it back up for a repeat playthrough. I think a year or two back I turned it on, chucked a TV at a nurse, and decided I'd had enough.

It's simply the weakest entry in the franchise that I've played. You have a wooden protagonist, a crudely constructed plot, and the whole shtick with the mirrors was a huge detractor of the game's atmosphere. The gameplay was solid, and the numerous Easter eggs are kinda neat, but that's definitely not enough for me.

Like any entry in the Silent Hill series, it was definitely worth a playthrough. As far as replay value goes, well...
isaacrood
Just Passing Through

Post by isaacrood »

In my own personal opinion I believe its worth playing. All Silent hill games are worth playing... I don't know why players get mad when Team Silent don't make the games anymore. Theres nothing you can do, Team silent is gone... So enjoy the games, whether or not they were developed by Team Silent. I liked 0rigins, Homecoming, And shattered memories. They were all good games. So yes, Of course 0rigins is worth playing.
Hello, New to the forum, Glad to be here!! :)
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

isaacrood wrote:In my own personal opinion I believe its worth playing. All Silent hill games are worth playing... I don't know why players get mad when Team Silent don't make the games anymore. Theres nothing you can do, Team silent is gone... So enjoy the games, whether or not they were developed by Team Silent. I liked 0rigins, Homecoming, And shattered memories. They were all good games. So yes, Of course 0rigins is worth playing.
Thank you. That needs to be said more often.
isaacrood
Just Passing Through

Post by isaacrood »

No problem, I agree. And I don't know why some people don't like the games because they weren't developed by Team Silent... They were all good in their own way.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

"So enjoy the games, whether or not they were developed by Team Silent."

That's like saying people are making themsleves not enjoy the newer games. People can't make themselves like something if they just don't.

That being said, Origins is underrated. The Sanitariums layout is so cool. Giant map, takes forever to explore. Awesome.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
isaacrood
Just Passing Through

Post by isaacrood »

Agreed, that game was great. And spooky :)
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Hey, guys with those "I love Silent Hill" signatures:

While I agree with, and appreciate, the sentiment behind them, they are longer than board guidelines allow for. Text signatures can't exceed four lines. Do me a favor and edit them for brevity, okay?
isaacrood
Just Passing Through

Post by isaacrood »

Dang, thanks for the heads up buddy, highly appreciated. Thanks for telling me before i got in trouble, gonna go fix it now.