Origins is the best Silent Hill game ever made

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

snakesonaplane
Just Passing Through

Re: Origins is the best Silent Hill game ever made

Post by snakesonaplane »

Kaiza Killa wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:
Kaiza Killa wrote:$15.49 new? That is a bargain. Unless that is in US dollars.
Even in US dollars it's pretty damn good.
I had guessed as much but I was being cautious. I did not want an American chewing me out for saying that $15.49 is cheap by any standard if in their terms it was $50.00 or upward. But given that it is at a low price by US standards also, I might be able to fit this into my currently tight budget.

H+
My BFFL got origins over the weekend new for $11.99!
Uyrikeustek wrote:Wow, some other people think that Origins is a great Silent Hill. I thought I was the only one! Yeah, Travis is a REAL man. Harry, James, Henry, and Alex just don't cut it. At least not compared to his level.
Shout it from the rooftop hun! Shout it from the rooftops!
Please view my Silent Hill 2 AMV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSh0RdDCLQ4

Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

Joseph wrote:
snakesonaplane wrote:Always worried about something or someone. But this man OH BOY! He was a TRUCKER! A real burly man! I would love it to death if he ran through my silent hills :?

Sorry to be blunt but throughout my Silent Hill experience I have always wanted a real man in the game. Thank you Climax Studios for making this game a real Silent Hill game with a REAL MAN! Your name is the truth!
"..."
Who agrees with me on all the above statements? I just wish that there could be a Silent Hill Origins 2.

I might make a petition.
I have the urge to shoot a deer right now.
LOL!!!!! :lol: Now THAT's funny!
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Travis, underdeveloped? Aside from James he's pretty much the only lead-protagonist who has had Silent Hill use his own past manifested used against him. Sure, he doesn't have the deepest of personalities (personality-wise I like game characters to be a bit of a blank slate so that you can project yourself onto them and feel more like you're in the game anyway) but his history is pretty awesome, and he develops as a character through the experience. Certainly more than I can say for the original Harry Mason, Henry or Alex Shepherd.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Travis, underdeveloped? Aside from James he's pretty much the only lead-protagonist who has had Silent Hill use his own past manifested used against him.
Oh, hi, Heather!
but his history is pretty awesome
...even if it's splotchy, full of holes, and is inconsistent with almost half of the imagery we receive in the game, like the Butcher.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
snakesonaplane
Just Passing Through

Post by snakesonaplane »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Travis, underdeveloped? Aside from James he's pretty much the only lead-protagonist who has had Silent Hill use his own past manifested used against him.
Oh, hi, Heather!
but his history is pretty awesome
...even if it's splotchy, full of holes, and is inconsistent with almost half of the imagery we receive in the game, like the Butcher.
Kind of like how on the cover he has a beard, but in the game he doesn't? That IMO is the biggest plot Origins has.
Please view my Silent Hill 2 AMV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSh0RdDCLQ4

Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I like it better than 4 and Homecoming. Origins had good atmosphere, a good personal story, and great level design. My major complaint is that the scenes were too short.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nuYAM-B4dc

@ 5:00 Alessa does a kick at the Theater Boss, plus she gets to use a hypnosis attack on Travis that causes him to faint!
It's super effective!!!

Origins was a good game IMO.
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Wow. Never saw this thread before.

At the risk of dragging it out further....

I liked Origins. Maybe not at first, because of the mirror mechanic, but I wound up somehow loving it.

I didn't like the way some of the characters looked, but I grew to like Travis. Prequels should get a free pass on a lot of things, unless the try to introduce totally new concepts that give ppl migraines.
(I'm looking at you, George Lucas--Midichlorians? WTF?!?!)
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I actually liked the mirror mechanic. It breathed some life into the level design. If only they'd done it in the outside areas as well. We only get one taste of outdoor Otherworld and it's totally straightforward.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Keiko
Just Passing Through

Post by Keiko »

Yeah, I like 0rigins too! After playing original Silent Hill I missed the atmosphere in the later games but origins felt just like the first one and I love it. Obviously it was a bit...underdeveloped and too short but still like it and will surely play it again someday.
Sorry for my bad english...
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

The more I play the game, the more I like it. So I guess I like it 8 times more than the first time I played it??? :S Anyway, there are a lot of little elements that I liked in the game. I really didn't hate or love the Mirror Mechanic once I really new how to work it.
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

TO be honest, First time I played Origins. I thought Alessa was a pest, Making Travis faint and stuff, using him for the flauro pieces.
Damn that broad! and her mind games!!! But then I started getting more addicted and started liking this game more and more. I still play it, like maybe my 6th playthrough. Using different costumes as well.

I think the Mirrors are just an awesome way of entering and exiting the otherworld IMO. Rather than just popping into the otherworld by just walking around.

I started to like Travis's personality, and learning about the TRUE Lisa Garland.
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

TRUE by someone's account... Not everyone's but someone's.
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

Origins was my 2nd Silent Hill game, 1st I owned myself, that on it's own makes it in my top 3. i could relate to Travis in a way... not really knowing where I'm going, not wanting to know where I've been, I could relate to him, i liked playing it cuz at the beggining he was so confused and then at the end everything clicked, and he was changed,
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Haoie
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Haoie »

I didn't care much for this game at all. Very forgettable.
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

I enjoyed a multitude of things about Origins. I think it had the best replayability. The game isn't overly long... every place you go to is a necessity. The enemies can be annoying because they're more interactive than the other games. If I get molested by one more Straightjacket or whatever the hell they're called in SHO, I am going to punch my TV. haha. It really is a good game though especially if you're willing to change your perception of the town a little to make it fit into canon.

Travis is pretty sweet. I just wish we got more personality out of him.

I really enjoyed the Achievements system too. That's what made the replayability so fantastic for me.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

I thought it was an okay game. Good atmosphere, ganeplay, etc. But a story with plot holes only a mediocre fan fiction could pull off, predictable elements, and lack of differentiation from the other games was a turn off for me. Overall, just decent. But...Travis a REAL MAN? Heather was more of a REAL MAN than Travis! Sure, Travis had fists. But did he have epic lightsaber skills? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBQEaWuwvE4

Or how about the indestructible HEZZAH BEEAM?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4gxubscRJg
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Uhm, I don't think that in order to say heather is a better main protagonist, you have to call her a real man. That's just disrespectful.

Travis was kind of a badass though. He does use his fists, and TVs, and toasters, and huge jars.... but best of all? Moon gauntlets. But, you're right in the instance that the game is predictable PIE. I mean, as you discover the plot, what happens next becomes more of a guess than a surprise... unless you get the UFO ending. I approve though!
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

NeoAquarius12 wrote:Uhm, I don't think that in order to say heather is a better main protagonist, you have to call her a real man. That's just disrespectful.
I was just joking around with that. I was trying to humor the OP, since I found her post to be funny with putting REAL MAN in caps and mentioning fists when you get more over-the-top weaponry in SH3 with HEZZAH BEAM. Lol. :lol:
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

PIE!!! wrote:I thought it was an okay game. Good atmosphere, ganeplay, etc. But a story with plot holes only a mediocre fan fiction could pull off, predictable elements, and lack of differentiation from the other games was a turn off for me. Overall, just decent. But...Travis a REAL MAN? Heather was more of a REAL MAN than Travis! Sure, Travis had fists. But did he have epic lightsaber skills? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBQEaWuwvE4

Or how about the indestructible HEZZAH BEEAM?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4gxubscRJg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqWW0PTkjR8
No! but Travis has a costume that looks similar to one of Konami's other games. Richter Belmont! Rondo of Blood!
But Possibly street fighter.

Heather doesn't have that awesome weaponsmith costume.
Travis Grady Belmont yo! he just needs the Mace whip, he's good to go.
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!