The Sanitarium

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Whispered-Rain
Just Passing Through

Post by Whispered-Rain »

I just bought Origins, and just started in the Sanitarium. To be honest I'm excited to be in there. Sanitariums fascinate and disturb me at the same time.
I do feel overwhelmed by the size of the building though. :shock:

I don't know, so far I really like this game. Especially the idea of the otherworld "behind" the mirror. Mainly because I have a sort of phobia of mirrors. (I'm terrified of seeing something reflected back wrong or seeing something completly illogical reflected back at me), so this game is really catering to a lot of my fears, which is making it more enthralling.
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

I hated the level, I kept getting lost and I absolutley hate going back and forth in any game. I thought the atmosphere was good, it was just the fact that the place was so big, going back and forth and the minute you thought you were done it's like, "sorry, another puzzle! thanks :)" My favorite places in the game were the hospital, because of the shortness and because of the connections to 1, and then I liked the hotel, not near as big and interesting.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

MMY wrote:Agreed. Too big for fun. The length of the hallways and feeling like I'm going nowhere reminds me of Metroid for NES.
i think i just figured out why i like the sanitarium so much. it's my favorite part of origins.

metroid is one of my favorite series of games
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

Whispered-Rain wrote:I just bought Origins, and just started in the Sanitarium. To be honest I'm excited to be in there. Sanitariums fascinate and disturb me at the same time.
I do feel overwhelmed by the size of the building though. :shock:

I don't know, so far I really like this game. Especially the idea of the otherworld "behind" the mirror. Mainly because I have a sort of phobia of mirrors. (I'm terrified of seeing something reflected back wrong or seeing something completly illogical reflected back at me), so this game is really catering to a lot of my fears, which is making it more enthralling.
I have the same kind of fear. So this game hit pretty big on me, canonical issues aside...
kamui3
Just Passing Through

Post by kamui3 »

I almost liked the sanitarium. It looked real creepy and there were a lot of monsters. However all the backtracking and otherside trips took away from the atmosphere of the level.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I loved that level, it was long, but you have to look at it through the eyes of the a child. Being that Travis had been there as a child. So if you look at it through the perspective of a kid, I suppose the place would look rather large and long. Of course Travis is an adult by the time you get there in this game. However he is looking at this place through his memory as a child. To me this is how it looks atnyway.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
dman
Just Passing Through

Post by dman »

I also loved the Sanitarium.! Truthfully though, I got to a point where I went "Screw this..." and put my PSP down and didn't touch it for a few weeks. The map is so huge...it isn't until you finish that stage that you realise it's not as huge as it seems at first.

One of my favourite features throughout the Silent Hill series was the difference between the "normal" and Otherworld layouts. The Sanitarium made excellent use of this feature - even if it did seem epic!

So I can see both points of view - it's certainly terrifying but if you hammer at it, it may well become your favourite level.
:D
Sikuriina
Just Passing Through

Post by Sikuriina »

I have a love/hate relationship with the Sanitarium, kinda like I do with the school in the first game. When I think about replaying either one of those games, I remember the Sanitarium and Midwitch elementary and think twice about starting my console. I dread playing through those levels. They both creep me out, big time, and the level design is awesome, but on the other hand they're also long and tedious and have you running around back and forth.

Sometimes just looking at the Sanitarium map makes tired and I think "oh man, I have to go all that way from point A to get to some key/puzzle in point B". Also, the darkness in the hallways was a little annoying because sometimes I had to look at the map to see where the doors were located at. So yeah, the Sanitarium is not one of my favorite levels, though it had a lot of potential to be awesome.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

The Sanitarium is the point at which I keep saying "fuck this ridiculous bullshit" and stop playing. Then, months later, I pick it up again intending to give it another chance, then I reach the Sanitarium again, and it's "fuck this ridiculous bullshit" all over again.

I wish I had it on PSP so I could cop a save that begins after this miserable place.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>I wish I had it on PSP so I could cop a save that begins after this miserable place.
You can't have multiple saved games on the PS2? :shock:
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

I'm picking up my last play of the game to try and get the UFO ending... I did about two more minutes of the Sanitarium. Two minutes a day will get me through it eventually, then I can get on with the rest of the game :D
alone in the town

Jonipoon wrote:>I wish I had it on PSP so I could cop a save that begins after this miserable place.
You can't have multiple saved games on the PS2? :shock:
Absolutely I can.

But, I can download someone else's save from the internet if I had the PSP version. =D
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>But, I can download someone else's save from the internet if I had the PSP version. =D
Dude... I've tried that. Everytime it just fucks with me and says the save is "damaged". D=

Can't you just keep a save file directly after the Sanitarium?
alone in the town

Crap.

Someone should send me a PS2 memory card with a save right after the Crapitarium.
EileenGalvin
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EileenGalvin »

I actually liked the Sanitarium. I liked its size and creepyness. The motel is the part I dislike the most, the Sanitarium though... one of my favorites.
[url=http://www.visitsilenthill.com][img]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/vshsignature.gif[/img][/url]
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>Someone should send me a PS2 memory card with a save right after the Crapitarium.

mbnvcxyz
Just Passing Through

Post by mbnvcxyz »

Enika wrote:I'm picking up my last play of the game to try and get the UFO ending... I did about two more minutes of the Sanitarium. Two minutes a day will get me through it eventually, then I can get on with the rest of the game :D
my girlfriend was kind enough to take care of that level for me.
XD
not sure if i should be ashamed of that or not... but i just don't have the patience to do it myself.
i've tested this MANY times.
life is a b*tch...
cuz if it was a hooker, it'd be easy.
XD
alone in the town

Jonipoon wrote:>Someone should send me a PS2 memory card with a save right after the Crapitarium.

If Silent Hill Heaven had some kind of solid, quantifiable award given to the day's most awesome post, you'd get it for today. =D
lumpo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by lumpo »

Seriously I dread playing that stage, but the pill puzzle with the dolls was pretty neat.
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

^ The pill puzzle was my favorite puzzle in the game, I just hate having to go through the Sanitarium to get to it :(