Hopes and Fears for the new game (possible spoilers)

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

I don't agree. I think it actually DOES get deserted.
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Well, you're mistaken.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Please explain why.
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

People still live there, and never stopped living there. It's a resort town that is active in all five games.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Remember to think four-dimensionally: something that's in Misty Silent Hill may not be present in the Otherworld, and vice versa. Ditto with Real Silent Hill, which is presumably full of people eating, working, sleeping, and going about their lives in general. They're not present in the town's two (at least) alternate versions.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Travis

Post by Travis »

I still believe they only did it that way in the movie.

Assuming that you're correct, what's the criteria for someone to be "trapped" in the misty or hellish Silent Hill?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Quicklinks—use them. All of your questions concerning the town's abandonment will be answered.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Sorry but I'm still not convinced. And I'm certain that when they made the first SH, they wanted the town to be deserted (foggy Silent Hill).
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Foggy Silent Hill is not the real Silent Hill, in Origins and 1's case, Foggy Silent Hill is under Alessa's control, it is her world, her escape, or attempted escape, from the Order and their plans.
The real Silent Hill is still a resort town which is inhabited by people. That's why Cybil vanished
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Not just because she died
She went into the otherworld, the foggy silent hill, so anyone looking for her would only see the Inhabited Silent Hill and not the deserted foggy world.
As mentioned before there is a full explination on the forum somewhere. Just do a search.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Sorry but I'm still not convinced. And I'm certain that when they made the first SH, they wanted the town to be deserted (foggy Silent Hill).
Well, they didn't, since they kept calling the events Harry saw as Alessa's Nightmare. Here's a big clue for you: The car years update throughout the games, and a lot of the cars in SH2, for example, were made after the year Silent Hill takes place. Similarly, James and Mary vacationed in Silent Hill after the Alessa incident. And if the town was deserted in reality, how are the monsters forming, and how do you explain an INFINITE VOID surrounding the town if it was in reality, surrounded by the rest of the real world? And how come no one in other games mentions something big like everyone dying the year of the Alessa incident? That'd be big news. "My wife...Mary, sent me a letter calling me here to this town. Our special place before all those people were killed..."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Travis

Post by Travis »

You didn't understand me. I was talking about the time where only SH1 existed. I've come to the conclusion that they changed it for the needs of SH2.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

That doesn't change anything. The town wasn't abandoned in Silent Hill either.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I expect that the movie has muddied things a bit, since they made the town abandoned in reality as well. One of several missteps on the scriptwriters' part.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

You didn't understand me. I was talking about the time where only SH1 existed. I've come to the conclusion that they changed it for the needs of SH2.
I understood you, you were just wrong. Silent Hill was never abandoned, even when SH1 was the only game. The idea that the Foggy Silent Hill was the real world or that the town is deserted as early as the game opening, when you see that Cybil's bike is left behind and she apparently ceased existing, or when you get to the end of the road and have to try and reason how the hell an infinite void can exist anywhere in our dimension. Or THE ENDING where Harry runs to the real world with a baby/Cybil/Cybil and a baby.
Travis

Post by Travis »

AuraTwilight wrote:Or THE ENDING where Harry runs to the real world with a baby/Cybil/Cybil and a baby.
Actually at the ending, Harry and Cybil run in the foggy Silent Hill.

Anyway you have some good points but that doesn't mean there was a parallel "real" world in SH1.

I'm asking again: What's the criteria for someone to be trapped in the foggy Silent Hill? Why Cybil was trapped in it? (Sorry if I seem a bit stuborn :wink: )
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Actually at the ending, Harry and Cybil run in the foggy Silent Hill.
And the ending scene, integrated into an altered prologue, has them standing in a new dawn in the real world, holding the baby and smiling at each other.
I'm asking again: What's the criteria for someone to be trapped in the foggy Silent Hill? Why Cybil was trapped in it?
In general, people with strong emotions cross over. Alessa's were strong enough that she could pull other people into her world, and did so. Cybil was pretty much sucked in accidentally while Alessa made a grab for Cheryl.
Travis

Post by Travis »

AuraTwilight wrote:And the ending scene, integrated into an altered prologue, has them standing in a new dawn in the real world, holding the baby and smiling at each other.
That scene takes place OUT OF the town.
AuraTwilight wrote:In general, people with strong emotions cross over. Alessa's were strong enough that she could pull other people into her world, and did so. Cybil was pretty much sucked in accidentally while Alessa made a grab for Cheryl.
How come we only see Cybil and not anyone else too then?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That scene takes place OUT OF the town.
Yea, so? They still had to get into normal reality either way, and you can't run across those infinite gorges, bucko. Unlike Alessa, they can't walk on the air.
How come we only see Cybil and not anyone else too then?
Cybil, Harry, and Cheryl were the only people on the road. Come on, now.
Last edited by AuraTwilight on 02 Mar 2009, edited 1 time in total.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

You're still arguing the town's "abandonment"? Here, let's make this simple:

Abandoned towns don't develop or change.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

Abandoned towns don't develop or change.
True. But I think that what Travis means is, that originally, before any other Silent Hill games, Silent Hill was supposed to abandoned, and that the foggy world was supposed to be the reality.

Personally I disagree. I too thought it was supposed to be the real world when I first played it, but, I was nine, and the concept of other dimensions was beyond my understanding. But after looking back, the craters, the snow, I concluded that it was, in fact another dimension.

Also, I doubt Harry would take Cheryl to an abandoned town for a vacation.