''What are you doing, son?!''

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

PartyHard
Just Passing Through

''What are you doing, son?!''

Post by PartyHard »

SPOILERS follow

As it's known, we can hear three lines during the Bad Ending:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Woman: What are you talking about? I'm not your mamma. Please...No!
Man: Scuse me sir. Motel's closed for the season. Wait..! (screams).
Richard: What are you doing, son? Careful, daddy's..!
-The first one by the Woman is pretty clear; it implies Travis attacked the woman for reminding him of his mother. So much that he called her 'mama', just like he addresses to the Memory of Helen.

Now, the other two by the Man and Richard are more vague. I can't really tell what supposedly occurred exactly and why.

-For the second one, spoken by the Man, I have a speculation. At the theater, you find a memo by the director:
Since what happened to Tony. I've
dreamt about HIM more and more!
THE BUTCHER!

He looks just like that monster, the
executioner!

Now I've seen him when I'm
awake. He's at my motel! It's HIM I
swear it!
For the record, Tony got the nosebleed accident before Alessa got burned. I wonder if the 'him' that the director talks about in his memo is Travis, making a stop at Silent Hill. Hence the memo and the 'flashback', both about something wicked at the Motel.

-The last one, spoken by Richard, is the most confusing to me. He sounds like he sees Travis being scary. Is he seeing the 'devil child' in his son that Helen always did? Is he being attacked by him in reality?
Aamon
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Aamon »

That always confused me too. It made me wonder:
Whether young Travis killed his father rather than him hanging himself, but that clashes with the flashback you get before fighting the Memory of Richard...
And the man says "Sir" implying Travis is grown up. I'm basing that on the fact the motel doesn't seem 'posh' enough for its' employess to adress kids as 'sir'. So does that mean:
Travis is 'being the butcher' as you run through the streets killing monsters? If that's the case then why does the butcher accolade mention 'awakening memories due to the amount of bloodshed'.
So Travis must have been to Silent Hill in his adult years before the game takes place.
PartyHard
Just Passing Through

Post by PartyHard »

Aamon wrote:And the man says "Sir" implying Travis is grown up. I'm basing that on the fact the motel doesn't seem 'posh' enough for its' employess to adress kids as 'sir'. So does that mean:
Travis is 'being the butcher' as you run through the streets killing monsters? If that's the case then why does the butcher accolade mention 'awakening memories due to the amount of bloodshed'.
So Travis must have been to Silent Hill in his adult years before the game takes place.
True, the director mentions that he witnessed the Butcher in the Motel after the incident with Tony. This happened when Alessa watched the play, so she must have been 6-7 years old, making Travis the same age as he is in Origins.

Perhaps he has taken routes to Silent Hill before. If he has, it'd might make some sense why Alessa stopped his truck and chose him, of all people, to do her dirty work. And

Dahlia: Do not trust her, Travis. She does not know what she is doing.
Travis: How do you know my name? Hey, answer me!
Aamon
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Aamon »

That doesn't explain the "What are you doing, son?" thing, unless it's not Richard.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I wonder if the 'him' that the director talks about in his memo is Travis
The "him" is the Butcher. The author of the memo is saying he's seen the Butcher—at first only in his dreams; now, though, he sees it at the motel—and it resembles the red pyramid thing (the executioner).
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
PartyHard
Just Passing Through

Post by PartyHard »

Aamon wrote:That doesn't explain the "What are you doing, son?" thing
Indeed, but I was mostly talking about to the second voice (the man/receptionist).
MMY wrote:The "him" is the Butcher.
Obviously. I was just speculating about the Butcher being Travis.
Sionnan
Gravedigger

Post by Sionnan »

There's no evidence to suggest that any of these voices are Travis recalling actual events. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that he's probably hallucinating due to drugs or mental problems.
Rob Matter
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Rob Matter »

I figured all three referred to the in-game events. While Travis goes around town killing things that he (and hitherto the audience) perceives as monsters, he's actually killing innocent people. His father may have actually been staying at the hotel during the events of the game.

The purpose of the ending is to posit another side of an ambiguity, much like in SH3 when Vincent says to Heather,
"They look like monsters to you?"
PartyHard
Just Passing Through

Post by PartyHard »

There's no evidence to suggest that any of these voices are Travis recalling actual events. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that he's probably hallucinating due to drugs or mental problems.
Yes, they could be hallucinations.
In this thread I was theorizing possibilities on the 'the voices are flashbacks' scenario.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Man, the Bad Ending of 0rigins always sparks up so much conversation. I'm so glad it's not canon now. [/Homecoming]

But yea, Travis is just going crazy, imo.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I don't believe Travis killed anyone. The Bad ending consists of drug-induced hallucinations.

His murder of the clerk and the random woman are plausible, but I don't believe a nine-year-old boy could hang a grown man against his will. And that is, presumably, how Richard Grady died.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>The Bad ending consists of drug-induced hallucinations.
Pardon?

From what I recall in the bad ending, there's no indication that Travis was drugged—only strapped to the table. Admittedly, I haven't played the game in nearly a year so I may have forgotten the details, but I don't explicitly remember him being administered any drugs.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Aamon
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Aamon »

MMY wrote:>The Bad ending consists of drug-induced hallucinations.
Pardon?

From what I recall in the bad ending, there's no indication that Travis was drugged—only strapped to the table. Admittedly, I haven't played the game in nearly a year so I may have forgotten the details, but I don't explicitly remember him being administered any drugs.
Maybe you should have checked before saying something like this. Youtube is a wonderful thing, I hear. :)

There is perhaps a 1 second flash of a needle being injected in what can only be assumed as Travis, a couple of seconds later the angling of the clip shows a table next to his bed with 3 or 4 syringes scattered on it.
AuraTwilight wrote:Man, the Bad Ending of 0rigins always sparks up so much conversation. I'm so glad it's not canon now. [/Homecoming]

But yea, Travis is just going crazy, imo.
Oddish wrote:I don't believe Travis killed anyone. The Bad ending consists of drug-induced hallucinations.
How do you explain the description in the Butcher Accolade?
"You brought Travis face to face with a terrible realisation"
PartyHard
Just Passing Through

Post by PartyHard »

By the way, two relevant Origins concept arts

from here
Sionnan
Gravedigger

Post by Sionnan »

Well, that's interesting. Really, very neat.

But it could mean that Travis has a bit of the Butcher in him due to the darkness in his heart, not necessarily that he IS the Butcher and has psychotic episodes where he blacks out and starts killing people. I mean, it would be like saying James Sunderland IS Pyramid Head because it fulfilled a purpose from James's psyche.
PartyHard
Just Passing Through

Post by PartyHard »

^ This interpretation too makes sense. He could have had strong homicidal tendencies, without having acted on them in reality.
Aamon
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Aamon »

Sionnan wrote:Well, that's interesting. Really, very neat.

But it could mean that Travis has a bit of the Butcher in him due to the darkness in his heart, not necessarily that he IS the Butcher and has psychotic episodes where he blacks out and starts killing people. I mean, it would be like saying James Sunderland IS Pyramid Head because it fulfilled a purpose from James's psyche.
That's different, there is nothing that implies that James is Pyramid Head.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

So what supposedly happened in the Bad Ending if Travis IS the Butcher? Was he transported back in time to be killed by his slightly younger self? Sounds like the ending of a Star Trek Voyager episode.

I stand by my theory that the Bad Ending is a hallucination.
RiceDaddy7
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by RiceDaddy7 »

I really hope that Travis isn't the actual Butcher in the real world, but something tells me otherwise and that Climax unnecessarily made him into a real killer. ::smacks forehead::
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

How do you explain the description in the Butcher Accolade?
"You brought Travis face to face with a terrible realisation"
Easy; He realizes that inside, he has a lot of rage and homicidal tendencies that he can only vent in his subconscious, and if he doesn't curb it, he'll become a serial killer. Doesn't mean he actually is one. I figure that Travis, due to his childhood, has a lot of self-loathing and loathing for the rest of the world and maybe women in general. However, partially due to his conscience, social norms, and maybe even to prove his mother wrong, he suppresses it and puts on the persona of a perfect, altruistic individual who will save children from house fires. However, the darkness he supressed has to go somewhere, and the Butcher is born.

The Good Ending, IMO, is his destroying the darkness and getting over it, becoming his mask while allowing for darkness to exist, because he knows he can overcome it. The Bad ending is accepting what he's been suppressing, and embracing it, merging with the Butcher and letting it consume him.

Not like accolades are really canon anyway.
That's different, there is nothing that implies that James is Pyramid Head.
What he means is that Pyramid Head is an aspect of James' subconscious, which is pretty much a fact.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]