A good Butchter-Theory

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Hubbari
Just Passing Through

Post by Hubbari »

Travis really could be butcher, that really would explain a lot but alessa should been able to control the butcher since its the "Reflection" *but what ever u want to call it* of travis... and he may haven started to manifest butcher cause of hes parents... that even explains the thing that travis´s mother says that travis is "DevIl son"...
"Silent Hill=Sairento Hiru"
"There Is Never An Good Ending In Silent Hill"
Loveless_Dogg
Historical Society Historian

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

I never really thought about it, but I just figured that The Butcher was a mental manifestation of how Travis's mother sees him......more of a mommy issue than a Travis one.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

My "Butcher is the Shadow Archetype representation of Travis's self-loathing" is still the best theory evurr <3
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Hubbari
Just Passing Through

Post by Hubbari »

Its the best, yes but if mother manifested buthcer that would tell why she had to kill "demon child" but why travis´s father could not know? *sry if i am bothering with stupid questions >.<*
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Who says Helen Grady manifested the Butcher? I'm saying that Travis created him out of self-loathing and because his mother treated him like a monster. Helen could've just been a crazy bitch.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
woofy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by woofy »

When I first played origins, and Helen said the mirror people told her to kill her son, I thought that the 'twist' in the game would be that Travis was some kind of demon and she was right.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It would've been less stupid than the Flauros thing, I'll give you that.
Hubbari
Just Passing Through

Post by Hubbari »

Hmm, Travis may haven manifested Butcher because his mother case hes father seemed kind but ... xD i remember the part where travis´s father says its not healthy to stand in hotel room for hours and his himself hanged at the same time *just somehow ironic* haha ^^
Returbuliz
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Returbuliz »

I think Butcher's one-sided helmet resembles Travis' split personality.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
IMO, Travis is sometimes a kind & generous trucker yet on the other hand he's a ruthless serial killer who despises women in general, due to his mother's attempt to kill him. Anyway, this is how I find Travis' personality based on the "Bad" ending. It may not be right, but I'm sure Butcher's helmet has some meaning behind it.
Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Split personality I'll give you, but Travis isn't a serial killer. At best, he just has homopathic urges due to his extremely fucked up family/self identity complex.
Returbuliz
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Returbuliz »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Split personality I'll give you, but Travis isn't a serial killer. At best, he just has homopathic urges due to his extremely fucked up family/self identity complex.
I agree, this is a good reason too. I mean we can't be sure, which SH events are delusive or not.
I know there's little chance he's a killer, but at least that someway I myself can make sense of the Bad ending.
I wish someday we may see an informative 'making of origins' feature like the ones from SH2 &3.
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

OMG i was so off...

i thought it was Dahlia @_@
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Returbuliz wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:
I agree, this is a good reason too. I mean we can't be sure, which SH events are delusive or not.
I know there's little chance he's a killer, but at least that someway I myself can make sense of the Bad ending.
I wish someday we may see an informative 'making of origins' feature like the ones from SH2 &3.
Even if he's a serial killer, the bad ending doesn't make any sense. Basically, though, his complex made him start seeing himself as a monster because that's what his family essentially taught him he was. He was responsible for their deaths. Poor Travis realized, 'I'm bad, I'm a monster, I kill people, I should die.' Travis hated himself, but his mind broke. He recreated himself into the perfect, altruistic person with no memory of his tragedies, and pushed all of his dark memories and feelings to the back of his mind.

The Butcher is the Shadow Archetype, a real-world psychological construct that represents the part of the mind you can't accept. Pyramid Head is also James' Shadow Archetype while we're at it. Now, the Butcher kills things mercilessly like a bloody, violent, sociopath. But Travis isn't really one of these. It's how he SEES himself becoming if he were to stop restraining himself. It's what he fears he might really be. It's the same as James and Pyramid Head. Yea, okay, James killed Mary, but he never shoved spears through her stomach or rape her or anything.

By learning the truth and overcoming his Shadow, he realizes that it has no power of him, and that he did nothing wrong. Travis becomes a mentally balanced, self-actualized individual. This is the Good End.

But alternatively, he can indulge in the bloodlust and kill the Butcher without mercy. He who hunts monsters becomes one himself, as they say, and if Travis gives in to his warped perceptions of himself, they'll consume his true self. This is the Bad End, where he accepts his self-delusion and becomes what he feared becoming: A heartless monster, eager to kill....kill...kill... In my opinion, the victims we hear, such as "I'm not your momma", aren'treal, but murders Travis plans to carry out.
Returbuliz
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Returbuliz »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Even if he's a serial killer, the bad ending doesn't make any sense. Basically, though, his complex made him start seeing himself as a monster because that's what his family essentially taught him he was. He was responsible for their deaths. Poor Travis realized, 'I'm bad, I'm a monster, I kill people, I should die.' Travis hated himself, but his mind broke. He recreated himself into the perfect, altruistic person with no memory of his tragedies, and pushed all of his dark memories and feelings to the back of his mind.

The Butcher is the Shadow Archetype, a real-world psychological construct that represents the part of the mind you can't accept. Pyramid Head is also James' Shadow Archetype while we're at it. Now, the Butcher kills things mercilessly like a bloody, violent, sociopath. But Travis isn't really one of these. It's how he SEES himself becoming if he were to stop restraining himself. It's what he fears he might really be. It's the same as James and Pyramid Head. Yea, okay, James killed Mary, but he never shoved spears through her stomach or rape her or anything.

By learning the truth and overcoming his Shadow, he realizes that it has no power of him, and that he did nothing wrong. Travis becomes a mentally balanced, self-actualized individual. This is the Good End.

But alternatively, he can indulge in the bloodlust and kill the Butcher without mercy. He who hunts monsters becomes one himself, as they say, and if Travis gives in to his warped perceptions of himself, they'll consume his true self. This is the Bad End, where he accepts his self-delusion and becomes what he feared becoming: A heartless monster, eager to kill....kill...kill... In my opinion, the victims we hear, such as "I'm not your momma", aren'treal, but murders Travis plans to carry out.
I see your point, & agree 100%.
I'm NOT saying Travis is a phenomena like Charles Manson or another serial killer, was just pointing out the fact that he sees himself as one, & in SH it's ENOUGH to oneself as something, because it becomes real for the protagonist.
Maybe I put it in wrong words, but now I clearly understand your thory. thx.