The path of the Hermmit concealed by Flauros.

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Flauros, or Hauras, is a demon that was encapsulated within a bronze pyramid and cast into a deep ocean or lake.

Personally, I believe that Flauros/Hauras, the demon, was conjured and trapped within the "bronze pyramid" then cast into Toluca Lake. It was later located and written into The Order's doctrine.

According to Silent Hill: Origins:
Origin unknown. The device is first mentioned in the poetry of Chang Ch'ien, an advisor [sic] to members of the early Han Dynasty. In one of his tracts, Chang Ch'ien jokes he strapped a demon inside his "three sided box."

When Chang Ch'ien died in a terrible fire at the imperial palace in 115 BC, the device appeared lost.

It was later rumored to be in possession of Lutheran monk M.G. Lewis, who in 1796 spoke of its ability to control and amplify thought. It was Lewis who linked it not to a demon, but to God Himself, claiming it was a weapon left by angels as a force of good.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

versatile soup spoon wrote:
daihlia running an antique shop leads me to that it is an artifact or antique.
it is an ancient artifact. Dahlia must have done some research on it because you can find a memo in the antique shop at the end.

Flauros device: Origin unknown.

The device is first mentioned in the poetry of Chang Ch'ien, an advisor to members of the early Han dynasty. In one of his tracts, Chang Ch'ien jokes he trapped a demon inside his 'three sided box'. When Chang Ch'ien died in aterrible fire at the imperial palace in 115 BC, the device appeared lost. It was later rumored to be in possession of a Lutheran monk M. G. Lewis, who in 1796 spoke of its ability to control and amplify thought. It was Lewis who linked it not to demon, but to God himself, claiming it was a weapon left by angels as a force for good.

Obviously Alessa uses it for diffrent purposes
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

awesome theory... and again I learned something new.. damn I love this forum :D
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Radical Dreamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Radical Dreamer »

Interesting info on the Flauros. So has anyone figured out how the Flauros fits into the mythology of the Order? Having not played the game, I originally thought that the demon in the Flauros was just the God, but now I hear people suggesting it is actually something else. Is it just a convienent tool for Dahlia or Alessa to use in their respective plans, or does it somehow tie in to the native pantheon?
hollywood-01

Post by hollywood-01 »

The Adversary wrote:In the tarot, The Hermit is the ninth card of the deck, representing "prudence, also and especially treason, dissimulation, corruption, roguery." When reversed it signifies concealment, disguise, policy, fear, and unreasoned caution.
so the hermit is the butcher. it all makes sense now.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I hear people suggesting it is actually something else.
It is. The final boss is the demon Flauros, caged within the bronze pyramid.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
silenced angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by silenced angel »

David01
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Is it just me.. or does the Flauros kinda remind you of that little box In the movie Hellraiser? I mean it kinda reminds me of that box in a way. Also i believe that the Flauros produced alot of the awful creatures you see in Silent Hill. It seems to me that the Flauros is the object, that draws on peoples minds and causes them to manifest the things they see. And I also believe.. and this is just a theory.. But I believe that the cult also used the Flauros to Produce Alessa.

No David, you're not the only one who thinks that, (well maybe except for that Produce Alessa thing) some hours ago while I was finishing the game and I was putting the flauros together, I came up with the Hellraiser thing, I was like "that kina reminds me the The Lament Configurator or whatever that box is called"

I think that was an inspiration for the flauros, but who knows...
nanook in heaven...
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Flauros is a demon from Judeo-Christian mythology, long before the "Hellraiser" series.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
overachiever547
Gravedigger

Post by overachiever547 »

According to Wikipedia:

"In demonology, Flauros is a strong Great Duke of Hell, having thirty-six (twenty according to Pseudomonarchia Daemonum) legions of demons under his rule.

He gives true answers of all things past, present and future, but he must be first commanded to enter a magic triangle for if not he will lie, deceive the conjurer, and beguile him in other business. But if he enters the triangle he will answer truly, and gladly speak about divinity, the creation of the world, himself, and other fallen angels. He can also destroy all the conjurer's enemies by burning them up. If the magician requests it, he will not suffer temptations from any spirit or in any form. Commonly people represent him as a humanoid Leopard with big claws. Flauros is depicted as a terrible and strong leopard that under request of the conjurer changes into a man with fiery eyes and an awful expression.

Other spellings: Flavros, Hauras, Haures, Havres. The last three spellings probably came from copyists mistaking the first two letters of "Flauros", when written too closely together, for an "H"."

SHO did a very good job of keeping the mythology behind the artifact accurate in the game.
Hurm...
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Post by AgentX7k »

Hermit = Person who carries the Flauros? I mean the object itself has a destiny of sorts for those who with to use it's power. So it 'conceals' the path because only those who hold it may walk that path.
"The Body Is Cold?"
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

2nd gig wrote:Does anyone actually know where the Flauros comes from in the game?.. it seems to just appear.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
It was first mentioned in poetry of Chi'an Chen, a chinese poet, talking about a demon trapped in the flarous. I guess its 'Made in China'.
1: "It saids": Made in China
2: "Is it fake?"
1: "Don't think so."

I wonder what the cultists thought about it when they first found it.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Does anyone actually know where the Flauros comes from in the game?
Silent Hill Official Guidebook Complete Edition wrote:It is said that powerful magic abilities lie dormant within the Flauros, which was excavated from ancient ruins.
I believe these ruins are the same on which The Order's chapel was built.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
D90
Hope House Careworker

Post by D90 »

... As in it didn't come from China?
Or it just got taken over there, and lost?
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

drakan90 wrote:... As in it didn't come from China?
Or it just got taken over there, and lost?
I think it found it self and lost itself there... The Chinese couldn't make such thing. It's not their style.
D90
Hope House Careworker

Post by D90 »

When I say 'there' I'm referring to Silent Hill/America, and to those ruins the orders church is built over
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

Man I learned so much from this! But one question...

1) What ruins?
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

Fredrick2003 wrote:Man I learned so much from this! But one question...

1) What ruins?
Yes, I kinda have the same question. Because I didn't see drakan90 to use 'There' in the post he was referring to.
When I say 'there' I'm referring to Silent Hill/America, and to those ruins the orders church is built over
Please be more specific.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>What ruins?
Any generic ruins from the religion the natives believed in--when their people disappeared. The site was later excavated, where all of these sacrosanct articles and objects were located--perhaps not only the Flauros, but also the Obsidian Goblet and book of Crimson Ceremony--and because of this, The Order, whom derived the foundations of their belief-system from the natives' religion, raised their chapel on these ancient ruins out of respect.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

Mockingbird wrote:>What ruins?
Any generic ruins from the religion the natives believed in--when their people disappeared. The site was later excavated, where all of these sacrosanct articles and objects were located--perhaps not only the Flauros, but also the Obsidian Goblet and book of Crimson Ceremony--and because of this, The Order, whom derived the foundations of their belief-system from the natives' religion, raised their chapel on these ancient ruins out of respect.
Thank you very much for explaining that.
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

>What ruins?
Prehaps the ruins is really the island in the middle of tocluca lake. :shock: After all, there is a chapel in the on the island.
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.