Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 05 Dec 2020

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Jan 2009
Notes left: 1085
Last seen at: Greece
OK then. My bad. :oops:
I thought Lost was talking about MGS (which IS the Bible of video games :P). Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Jan 2009
Notes left: 33
AuraTwilight wrote:
Well, it's true. Any literary professor would tell you that the Bible is amateurish as a story, barely of a High School level. But the Bible isn't SUPPOSED to be a story, it's supposed to give a message; everything in it is a device to serve that purpose.
Umm. No. The Bible has influenced more great story's than probably anything else in history, been made into more great movies than anything else in history, music, art... You name it. Amateurish? By what standards?

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Inspiring something else doesn't make it a good literary story. Especially when those movies usually add in details, like the Last Temptation of Christ, which assumed that one of the temptations was Mary Magdeline. You can't judge something's quality by the quality of the stuff it inspires, especially when religion gives a bias.

By what standards? Literary standards. Regardless of it's worth and quality as a moral and religious work, as a STORY, the Bible is very poor; but it wasn't supposed to serve as a story, the point is to deliver aesops and moral guidance.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19441
Last seen at: #lfk
To say that The Bible has little literary merit is arguably one of the most retarded things I've ever read.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Nov 2008
Notes left: 132
Not to mention that it's full of plagiarism.

Post subject:

Quote:
To say that The Bible has little literary merit is arguably one of the most retarded things I've ever read.

Having little literary merit isn't the same as being written as a good story. I c wut u did thar.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Jan 2008
Notes left: 13
Last seen at: silent hill
i love the SH2 story, but the elaboration on some of the endings ould have been nice. but then we wouldn't would have Aura Twilight to give us his/her(sorry) enlightning oppinions and clarifications now would we. lol

Post subject:

Quote:
his/her(sorry)

Don't worry about it. Call me what you like. ;)

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jan 2009
Notes left: 61
It was weird for me too cuz the whole game i thought that James is running away from monsters but he's actualy running away from himself.. 8)

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
dominik9 wrote:
It was weird for me too cuz the whole game i thought that James is running away from monsters but he's actualy running away from himself.. 8)

Not really. Those monsters are certainly real enough to kill him.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Oct 2008
Notes left: 245
Last seen at: Mexico
I have to say, indeed this was one helluva plot twist, and what's even kinda strange, is that some people can still sympathize with James :shock:

Post subject:

Well, can't you? If someone you loved was dying slowly, and there was no hope of them getting better, and they were in constant pain, wouldn't it be merciful?

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

AuraTwilight wrote:
Well, can't you? If someone you loved was dying slowly, and there was no hope of them getting better, and they were in constant pain, wouldn't it be merciful?

Merciful? yes, the right thing to do? HELL no, much less in such a [spoiler]horrible way by suffocating her with a pillow, it must've been horrible for her to go that way :( [/spoiler]

A sick person is not like a dying horse to be put to death so she could be out of her misery, ya know...

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Jan 2009
Notes left: 5
Fargo wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:

Merciful? yes, the right thing to do? HELL no, much less in such a [spoiler]horrible way by suffocating her with a pillow, it must've been horrible for her to go that way :( [/spoiler]

A sick person is not like a dying horse to be put to death so she could be out of her misery, ya know...

I disagree with some of your points.

[spoiler]I think the devs had James suffocate his wife with a pillow because, at least on the surface, it is a very tranquil method of murder for both the victim and the murderer. When I finished SH2 and found out what James had done, I still felt that he was a sympathetic character. True, his motives were tainted, but neither he nor the killing itself was cut and dry good or evil.[/spoiler]

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Blackhandsaint wrote:
Fargo wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:

I disagree with some of your points.

[spoiler]I think the devs had James suffocate his wife with a pillow because, at least on the surface, it is a very tranquil method of murder for both the victim and the murderer. When I finished SH2 and found out what James had done, I still felt that he was a sympathetic character. True, his motives were tainted, but neither he nor the killing itself was cut and dry good or evil.[/spoiler]

A "tranquil method"?... geez, no offense, but you make that sound like it's not such a terrible thing to do, just imagine [spoiler]getting your air supply cut off, asphyxiating in panic trying to survive, only to realize that your death is just a few seconds away,[/spoiler] how could that be a tranquil method?... okay yeah, there are much worse ways to take care of that, but still...

EDIT: And yeah, I understand the circumstances that drove James to do what he did, but still that doesn't gives him the right to [spoiler]take another human's life, even out of compassion and/or sympathy.[/spoiler]

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Jan 2009
Notes left: 5
Quote:
A "tranquil method"?... geez, no offense, but you make that sound like it's not such a terrible thing to do, just imagine [spoiler]getting your air supply cut off, asphyxiating in panic trying to survive, only to realize that your death is just a few seconds away,[/spoiler] how could that be a tranquil method?... okay yeah, there are much worse ways to take care of that, but still...

EDIT: And yeah, I understand the circumstances that drove James to do what he did, but still that doesn't gives him the right to [spoiler]take another human's life, even out of compassion and/or sympathy.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I didn't way that it wasn't a terrible thing to do, I was just saying that it wasn't brutal, violent, or even unwelcome. What James did was definitely wrong given his mixed motives (obey Mary's wishes/get her out of his life) and I think the devs wanted to show that kind of moral compromise in the way he killed her. Suffocating an already morbidly ill victim isn't as harsh as, say, taking a nearby syringe and giving her a few CCs of air.[/spoiler]

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Blackhandsaint wrote:
Quote:

[spoiler]I didn't way that it wasn't a terrible thing to do, I was just saying that it wasn't brutal, violent, or even unwelcome. What James did was definitely wrong given his mixed motives (obey Mary's wishes/get her out of his life) and I think the devs wanted to show that kind of moral compromise in the way he killed her. Suffocating an already morbidly ill victim isn't as harsh as, say, taking a nearby syringe and giving her a few CCs of air.[/spoiler]

Hmm... okay, I get your point.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Jan 2009
Notes left: 64
Last seen at: in your nightmares turning valve or utah
i thick sh2 has the best every thing the storie the monster the otherworld and character

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
QUOTE: A sick person is not like a dying horse to be put to death so she could be out of her misery, ya know...

That's one of the difficulties of being human. We can end the suffering of a horse, or a dog, or a cat; but we're expected to endure whatever kind of death our circumstances throw at us. No matter how slow, excruciating, and miserable it is.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Nov 2008
Notes left: 132
Oddish wrote:
That's one of the difficulties of being human. We can end the suffering of a horse, or a dog, or a cat; but we're expected to endure whatever kind of death our circumstances throw at us. No matter how slow, excruciating, and miserable it is.

There's human euthanasia though, legal in some european countries.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next