Best Plot Twist Ever? [Massive spoilers!]

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Cobani
Just Passing Through

Post by Cobani »

PartyHard wrote: There's human euthanasia though, legal in some european countries.

We have it here in the Netherlands! But then again, pretty much everything is legal here. :)

I'm setting up my girlfriend to play SH2. She hasn't got a clue, never played any SH-game, so I'm looking forward to her reaction! :shock: :cry:

Edited to add 'quote'
I'll think of something clever to say here ...
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

And that can lead to disaster as well: the Nazis started with the elderly, infirm, and mentally handicapped.

*Sigh* --- as the Oracle said, it is a pickle, no doubt about it.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
dsagent
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dsagent »

It was pretty good but Soul Reaver 2 and Legacy of Kain Defiance also had some seriously nice plot twists.

Also to the other poster MGS2 had A LOT to do with love and relationships if you know where to look. :wink:
The meaning of all life, the universe, and the answer to all questions is:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Like I would tell You! MUHAHAHAhahaha!!!!!
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

I remember I got up to the hotel, I was like "wow maybe she's here". Then a friend of mine who played the game previously was like, "dude you won't believe it, he actually killed the wife". I got pretty pissed off, that's probably why when I finally saw the scene it just didn't have the power it would have had if it wasn't spoiled for me.
Mustang
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Mustang »

I was blown away ! I was not expecting that to happen definitely one of the best plot twists ever in my opinion . In a way i felt bad for James considering the journey he went through just to find out the truth. Although his journey through silent hill was pretty much him paying up for it.
SilentKnight
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentKnight »

One of the best twists i ever saw. When i first watched it unspoiled all i could do was sit there and go: 0.0.

People seem to forget James diden't kill his wafe to release here from her pain.He killed her because he was sick of looking at her and dealing with her.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

That's what he says, but Mary disagrees. "Then James...why do you look so sad?"

Given that James was consumed in self-hatred, I'm not sure if his motive was as selfish as he made it out to be.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SilentKnight
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentKnight »

That also enforces my belief that the In water ending is the real one.

anyway back on topic and i do agree that there were many hints in the game having to do with said twist.

PS: your bible bashing was full of win Aura.^^
Last edited by SilentKnight on 24 Feb 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

True, it was a really good plot twist. But I always got a strange feeling when he was talking about Mary. That he held some things back. Especially when James leaves the hospital and says something like: "Is this your way to..." That's when it got really fishy for me...
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/Ghoul68/banner_shh_4.png[/img]
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

James did not hate Mary. He hated the disease that was consuming her. He killed her primarily to end her suffering, I am convinced of that. Had it been otherwise, he could have just abandoned her, gotten a quickie divorce, and found some slutty girl at a bar to score with.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

the "real one"? How did you come to that conclusion?
revalations 23:16
Bishop Sasarai
Historical Society Historian

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

It's not an original plot twist, but it was presented better than most. I was pretty floored the first time I saw it - and I couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
SilentKnight
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentKnight »

SHACKled89451 wrote:

well if you found out you killed your wife because you hated her/the disease would YOU want to live??
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

If I understood that she was in horrific agony and already near death, and things were only going to get worse, and I acted to end her suffering and send her to a better place? I might agonize about whaether what I did was right, and I would miss her horribly, but I would try to move on with my life.
SilentKnight
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentKnight »

Well to each his own oddish.

Sh2 has still never been beaten by any of its sequels and one of the reasons is because of the said twist. its interesting to see that it caught many people off guard.
Last edited by SilentKnight on 25 Feb 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

It sure knocked me for a loop.
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

SilentKnight wrote:
SHACKled89451 wrote:

well if you found out you killed your wife because you hated her/the disease would YOU want to live??
I don't really know what I would do. But what I would do, and what James (a fictional chararter) would do are completley different things my friend.
revalations 23:16
SilentKnight
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentKnight »

SHACKled89451 wrote:
SilentKnight wrote:
SHACKled89451 wrote:

I don't really know what I would do. But what I would do, and what James (a fictional chararter) would do are completley different things my friend.
lol fare enough.It is likely thats what i would do though.