James a Drunk? (Unmarked Spoiler)

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

shua
Hope House Careworker

Post by shua »

He is a drunk, it's pretty obvious. A recently taken up habit.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

>This is my first time to notice it to and it just made me think.... and made me wanna choke james to shutem up
I wanted to choke Laura. She is such a brat. After when she tricked James in the examination room I would have shot her head off.
Anyways like what I said earlier James could have been drunk during the events of silent hill. Often drunk people halluncinate. But who knows.
Watchdog
Historical Society Historian

Post by Watchdog »

Xigz wrote:We all know
Maria is the drunk one. (She dose have a hang over after all.)
Wouldn't that mean she isn't drunk?

And I highly doubt that James was under the influence during the events of the game. Although it is likely he has been a heavy drinker since Mary's illness, it doesn't mean he's walking around, off his head 24/7. That, and he would have sobered up by the time he reached the apartment block - and that's if he was drinking in the car, which there is no evidence to say he was.
Nurse Babz
My Bestsellers Clerk
Location: Is Florida considered the Dirty South or East Coast?

Post by Nurse Babz »

Clearly, Laura is the inebriated one.

I was just thinking...James is completely coherent throughout the entire game, and he doesn't have a slow reaction time, and he isn't feeling relaxed. By "drunk" standards, he's not up to par.
There was a Dead RN here. It's alive now.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/6301/nbxmzw0.jpg[/img][/url]
Mekarah
Just Passing Through

Post by Mekarah »

Nah, I don't think he was wasted during the events, all things considered, he just doesn't act like he's drunk at all. Except his piss poor aim, but I just chalk that up to inexperience. I guess he could be mildly inebriated, it's not like that looks the same in everyone anyways.

Since my PS2 is broken (grumble), does anyone have the text they could post? I'd like to see it.
stitchedlamb
Just Passing Through

Post by stitchedlamb »

Actually, it really depends on James' exact words. I know I saw it before but I don't remember the specifics. Did he say he drank all the time while Mary was still sick, or just after she died?

Because it's commonly believed that after
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
James killed Mary, it was only a few days later that he first got the letter, and it was also only a few days since Mary had passed on, not three years ago, like he believes. So if the drinking had started after Mary died, he would only have been getting drunk for a couple of days (not years) which isn't enough to make someone a drunk.
Last edited by stitchedlamb on 28 Jun 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

So yur sayin hes so drunk that he thinks he is a drunk
stitchedlamb
Just Passing Through

Post by stitchedlamb »

TwiZtiD wrote:So yur sayin hes so drunk that he thinks he is a drunk
Sorry, was that directed at me? I'm assuming it was since it was underneath my reply.

Anyway, does James specifically call himself a drunk? Like I said, I don't remember his exact words, it's been a while, and his wording is important here.

But no, I wasn't calling James a drunk at all. My point was that if he didn't specifically refer to himself as one, and he had only been drinking since Mary died, he couldn't have possibly been a drunk
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
given the timeline and the fact that he'd only have been drinking for a few days, not years. You need to have a dependence on alchohol to be considered an alchoholic, and that takes longer then just a couple days.
.-Ape-Demon-.
Gravedigger

Post by .-Ape-Demon-. »

Judging by the way he sometimes acted, especialy during the begining, I would say that James is probably suffering from a hang-over of some kind towards the begining. He seems somewhat dazed at times, but then again considering his situation, this is a natural reaction.

I have never been drunk, I have never had a hang-over, and the only alchohol I have ever drank before at any time in my life was when I was three and thought Rubbing Alchohol was a bottle of water. So I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert on the subject.

However, considering I have had some pretty shitty mornings before (Though I imagine a hangover is far beyond 'shitty' ) and how James was acting in the stall at the begining of the game, I would say he might have had a hangover. Either that, or he was just very tired. Both arent far from the realm of possiblity.

However, to say he was in some sort of drunken stupor during his time in Silent Hill? I dont think so.
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. "
-Marcus Aurelius

"Abraham Lincon was born in a log cabin which he built with his own hands"
-Anonymous College Student.

"If the crib is on fire, you don't assume the baby is flame retardant."
-Al Gore
Watchdog
Historical Society Historian

Post by Watchdog »

stitchedlamb wrote:Anyway, does James specifically call himself a drunk? Like I said, I don't remember his exact words, it's been a while, and his wording is important here.
Nobody would assume that James was 'a drunk' as you put it after having binged for three days (if it's even that long since that thing happened). He probably started drinking while Mary was ill.
Dead RN wrote:Clearly, Laura is the inebriated one.
Oh, definitely. She was mortalled the entire time.
shua
Hope House Careworker

Post by shua »

Dead RN wrote:Clearly, Laura is the inebriated one.

I was just thinking...James is completely coherent throughout the entire game, and he doesn't have a slow reaction time, and he isn't feeling relaxed. By "drunk" standards, he's not up to par.
Even if you had a billion cans of freakin' beer you wouldn't be nowhere near being drunk if you were in Silent Hill, you'd piss it all out the minute you stepped foot there. Duh!
theshaman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by theshaman »

yea theres nuthin better then a bottle of JD when the time s are gloom
there are things known and unknown, in between is silent hill
shua
Hope House Careworker

Post by shua »

Alcohol can resolve any problems, a universaly feel good drink, and very good for you as well, that's why James drinks it, because he's smart. He's not stupid enough to ruin his liver and heart with shit like apple juice.
Nurse Babz
My Bestsellers Clerk
Location: Is Florida considered the Dirty South or East Coast?

Post by Nurse Babz »

Being A drunk is different from BEING drunk

Anyway, James is just confused. Befuddled. Pick another synonym. If one of you got a letter from a dead grandmother or uncle, etc. You'd have a goofy look on your face too.[/b]
There was a Dead RN here. It's alive now.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/6301/nbxmzw0.jpg[/img][/url]
shua
Hope House Careworker

Post by shua »

He's not drunk while at Silent Hill, that's obvious, but he is a drunk, that's obvious as well. Goofy look? James only has one expression on his face during the game, not the cutscenes though, he barely shows any emotion, just a dull blank look.
RealNowhereGirl
Just Passing Through

Post by RealNowhereGirl »

...I would have to say he didn't seem like the type to just kill his wife since he saw her as a burden. He seemed to stay by her side (what with the hints @ him bringing her flowers) despite her ability to snap at him during her painful time.
"Blue sky to forever, the green grass blows in the wind...dancing..."
Allen
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Allen »

I think james simply might not be drunk because of hte way he acts in the game. He never say's he needs a drink adn he seems like an ordinary freindly guy, but that's my opinion. Why he dosn't remember killing mary? Simple, he's a PHSYCHO.
Allen
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Allen »

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
James killed Mary, it was only a few days later that he first got the letter, and it was also only a few days since Mary had passed on, not three years ago, like he believes. So if the drinking had started after Mary died, he would only have been getting drunk for a couple of days (not years) which isn't enough to make someone a drunk.
Ok, i'm new and i liked to know which thread or part of the game proves that it's only been a few day's after mary's death and not 3 years?
Figurine
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Figurine »

Allen wrote: Ok, i'm new and i liked to know which thread or part of the game proves that it's only been a few day's after mary's death and not 3 years?
Why not just look at the timeline?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/StrangeEmily/Silent%20Hill/mariasig.gif[/img]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Or the thread called When exactly did Mary die?...
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.