I don't understand. Do the hospital and Hotel exist?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

lbsword
Just Passing Through

I don't understand. Do the hospital and Hotel exist?

Post by lbsword »

*SPOILERS*

After finishing the game, im starting to think about it.

Does Silent Hill even exist? Does James even go there? Is it all in his head?

Like the final scene, where his wife dies, (i got the in water ending), he puts her in the car, and drives off the cliff. Does he even search for her?

Well, also, you go to the hospital, then half way through, it like morphs? Everything is all broken down and stuff. Does James just imagine it to be a nice place?

Same with the hotel, is it really this burned down rubble? Or is it actually nice inside?
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Yes it certainly does exist, yes James definately went there. Yes it is all in his head. There are different dimensions related to silent hill. Silent Hill the resort town and Silent Hill the foggy deserted town and Silen Hill the alternate dimension. The resort town is where tourists go, they see the hustle and bustle of every day normal life. The foggy town is where James is most often. There are fewer monsters, few people and fog. The alternate town is much darker and dirtier with few people and no fog. This is where james is when he is in places like the really broken down hotel at the end.
Silent Hill changes depending upon the underlying emotions of the person. This makes for a personalized journey for each protagonist as you play. At the end of the game you see a glimpse of Angela's Silent Hill when the hotel staircase is burning.
So, Silent Hill is certainly is certainly a real town because Harry, Henry, James and Mary have all been there before in happier times. James went there in previous times and was happy so he was able to go into the resort town and then leave. James went there at the setting of the game, but his emotions changed the town on a massive level, so on both counts James did go there. And finally, it is all in his head because the town changes in relation to his emotions. Thus the town is able to get into his head to draw out whatever deep seated feelings he needs to work out in personally symbolic ways. :D
Life changes daily so go with it!
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I expect the town really does exist, and both those buildings do as well. And as for its form, I kind of see the town itself as a sort of portal between this world and whatever hell the crimson whatever hails from. And the nastier the town gets, the closer you are to the latter place. I expect that when James got close enough to feel the heat under his feet a couple of times.

What I can't figure is that if SH was a thriving resort town (on any level), why wasn't little Laura there, surrounded by other happy people, and therefore invisible to James? Why was she different from any other tourist visiting the place?
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

The town does exist, but in all the games, the characters are actually in an alternate dimension that overlaps it, which changes and morphs. The real hospital is perfectly normal and lively, but the hotel was burned down in real life.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Rob Matter
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Rob Matter »

We, the audience, have never actually seen, but can only infer, this so-called "real" Silent Hill where people live out their lives normally, where children go to school and the mailman delivers packages and joggers run with their dogs. Although the evidence may lean on it, I don't think we can confirm that it exists; therefore, we can't rule out that James' adventure was all in his head.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

No, we never see the regular Silent Hill, but maybe (and this is only a theory) Silent Hill can be a "ghost" town now, after all the incidents happening with the Cult.
People could have just left town and move to the nearest cities.
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

What I can't figure is that if SH was a thriving resort town (on any level), why wasn't little Laura there, surrounded by other happy people, and therefore invisible to James? Why was she different from any other tourist visiting the place?
The otherworld is different for everyone. It doesn't have to be a horrible place full of monsters. Laura was looking for Mary as well and was pulled into the otherworld but she didnt have any inner deamons so everything just appeared normal to her. Abandoned but normal.

We can see these personal dimensions intersecting during parts of SH2. When James finds Angela It's in a room that doesnt match the rest of the apartment and the door to the room is white. We are seeing her hell. It resembles the home she grew up in. The same goes for the dead bodies we see when Eddie is around. There are also no monsters around when your in the same room with Laura. Remember when that boss monster attacks it's only after she shuts and locks the doors on you.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't think we can say Silent Hill is abandoned in reality. It was a bustling resort town only, what, a few years ago?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

Yeah, that is true. When James and Mary were there, the town was pretty much alive with tourists.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

There are a bunch of threads that already talk about the various questions you've asked... Take a look at the Quicklinks thread in this section, please.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.