[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Silent Hill Heaven • View topic - Flashlight stops working, and other things...

Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 09 Mar 2021

Post subject: Flashlight stops working, and other things...

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19475
Last seen at: #lfk

I also apologize for being a dick to, like, all of you.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 May 2007
Notes left: 1025

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19475
Last seen at: #lfk
Water: Think of what it means in literature. It is a cleansing. In the Japanese creation myth, after Izanami died and shut herself in the cave, Izanagi--having seen his dead wife/sister's body--went to a stream and bathed himself, in a spiritual cleansing, because contact w/ the dead is considered a "ritual fault."

You can read about it in detail here, in my totally awesome thread about water.

Water--being submerged in water, or in rain, &c.--implies a character's "cleansing," or baptism. James, on the other hand, never experiences an actual submergence until the end of his story, when he absolves himself of his sins. The fact that there's an exorbitant amount of water in Silent Hill 2, yet James is never doused in it, suggests that he cannot be "purified" until he takes his final plunge, that he cannot be absolved of his sins until he understands why he needs to be.

And so, when he learns the truth in Lakeview Hotel, it is flooded, and dripping, and allowing him to finally be cleansed.

I also apologize for being a dick to, like, all of you.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

^ That reminded me of something... Travel over water is actually also a very symbolic bit in literature - it's generally a passage akin to a 'trial/tribulation' or a 'quest.'

Post subject:

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Post subject:

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
Wow... just when you think you've found all of the symbolism buried in this game, something else surfaces (no pun intended).

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Jul 2008
Notes left: 24
Last seen at: Spain

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 May 2008
Notes left: 42
Last seen at: Castro Valley, California

Post subject:

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Jun 2007
Notes left: 291
Last seen at: Texas

Post subject:

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Apr 2006
Notes left: 869
Last seen at: Seattle, WA

Post subject:

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
QUOTE: If there is no light for James at the end of his journey, the indication would be, then, that he is damned for his sins-- a possible indicator of Maria, In the Water, or Rebirth being the canonical endings, as each presents a varying degree of damnation and/or torment.

I think that that's taking it a bit far. I prefer the idea that the light represents James' hope for finding Mary, and it goes out forever when that hope is erased. In any case, if those three endings are all canonical, then leave must be canonical as well: Death (W), Madness (M), and Damnation (R) are then counterbalanced by Hope (L).