Laura's safety is due to...

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Laura's safety is due to...

Post by Anonymous »

Before I used to think that Laura wasn't attacked/saw any monsters was due to the fact that she wasn't a sinner, as James and the others were. However, a thought just popped into my head: maybe the spirit of Alessa/demon in power of the town is protecting children that are coming into the town. She's possibly punishing all adults, since from a child's point of view they were the ones who tortured her. Therefore, any adult upon entering the town can have a horrible experience.

I wouldn't be surprised if this had already been discussed. Whatever. What hasn't?
Killer Raven

Post by Killer Raven »

Laura sees no evil... Thats the explanation thats ties best with the story.
Cole.Is.A.Maniac
Just Passing Through

Post by Cole.Is.A.Maniac »

I more as went with the fact that Laura is the innocent side of Mary. And thusly, she does not see the monsters. Her innocence shields her from it.
When she [b]embraces[/b]
Your [i]heart[/i] turns to [i]stone[/i]
She comes at [b]night[/b]
When [i]you[/i] are all [i]alone[/i]
Figurine
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Figurine »

Because in Silent Hill 1:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Alessa was bullied and teasted in school by her fellow classmates, dealing with that kind of torture she did in fact, or might have, done something to the children too, why else are there baby or children monsters in the first game?
I agree with Killer Raven, she see's no evil, and i think that is because she isn't evil.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

This always bugged me during SH2.. but I've been wondering. Was she actually real, or could Laura of just been Silent Hill creating an opposite to Maria? I'm agreeing with Cole. Maybe Mary has been split into two new beings: Maria and Laura. Maria being the evil side, a demon, and Laura being the good side, an innocent (shown as a child, what most people think of when they think about innocence)
As a creation of Silent Hill, she is under protection... unless she can be used to show something to our Knight in Green Jacket. Making an example of her, I mean. Though, for this is true, I guess it could be possible that nobody else in Silent Hill is real either.
TessannaDelone
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TessannaDelone »

I would hardly call Maria evil..I mean the poor girl spend her time getting lanced throughout the entire thing. I am also having a hard time believeing that Laura is a part of Mary. Its possible of course but I find it unlikely. I mean..she didn't seem much more important then Eddie or Angela as a character.
[b]User Deactivated -- Underage.[/b]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

wasn't laura the kid with mary in the hospital, which mary wanted to adopt?
and she came to silent hill to find mary after she was told that "mary was gone"
not knowing that that meant dead.. or is that theories?

i believe you have to have "blood" on your hands to come to the other side, to be punished for your sins, or something like that. And i guess she didn't go to the other side cuz she had no blood on her hands, and because mary loved her.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Maria was quite evil, in my opinion. And she was only lanced to "make an example", as I said earlier. It was supposed to be saying "Your wife is dead!" Seeing someone who looks like your wife being killed multiple times, I mean. Yet, Maria still tries to tempt you into going with her, ignoring what Laura is trying to point out to our knight in green jacket. Laura is pretty much the force reminding him to not give up. That he needs to see his wife, talk to her, and be forgiven.
Eddie and Miss Emo do have rather larges parts as well, if you think about it. Eddie is the murderer that James believes himself to be, and Miss Emo happens to be what James was becoming before his visit to Silent Hill. He'd of killed himself for his sins, or atleast... that's what I think. I could be wrong.
Silent_Hill_Tourist
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Hill_Tourist »

I always consider Eddie and Miss Emo(that totally works for her) to be the opposite ends of the scale which James is on. He can either become delusional like Eddie, or guilt ridden and suicidel like Angela.

With Laura, maybe the reason that she can't see the evil around her is because she's being protected by Mary. Mary loved her and so maybe her spirit is protecting her while she is in Silent Hill. I think that Mary brought Laura to Silent Hill so that she could meet James and be adopted by him, thus furfilling her last wish so that she may rest peacefully after she and James have their final confrontation.

As for Maria, I do think that she was created by Mary's wish, not James'. She knows about Laura and why would something that James created know about a person that he doesn't know? Maria was created by Mary to help James move on I think.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/justatouristoptimized.jpg[/img]
Nurse Babz
My Bestsellers Clerk
Location: Is Florida considered the Dirty South or East Coast?

Post by Nurse Babz »

She doesn't see any evil because unlike the others she came to silent hill because she believed mary to be there because of a REAL letter that she misinterpretted.
There was a Dead RN here. It's alive now.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/6301/nbxmzw0.jpg[/img][/url]
outlaw
Just Passing Through

Post by outlaw »

i always though she was innocent and annoying (you want this key james? WELL TO BAD)
heaven or hell ? lets rock!
The Lost Carol
Cafe5to2 Waitress
Location: Artaud Theater (Can't be at the hotel all the time, you know...)

Post by The Lost Carol »

I'd like to agree with the protection of Mary idea... but it's clear (at least to me,) that Mary still loves James. If she was protecting Laura, then why wouldn't she protect James? I'd have to agree with the innocence theory. The town didn't call Laura, nor did she do anything worthy of being called to it. She just went to Silent Hill because of the letter, which led her into becoming a major player in the game.
I run, 'til the silence splits me open,
I run, and it puts me underground,
But there's no regret, and no roads left to run...
~Linkin Park, No Roads Left

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3026/2896396386_6d2d92733b.jpg[/img]
9a6riel
Gravedigger

Post by 9a6riel »

no one ever agrees with this but heres what ive always thought about her.
in the hotel james reads her letter from mary. she wishes laura a happy 8th birthday in the letter. james asks laura how old she is right away. laura tells him she just turned 8 last week. james then says 'then mary couldnt have died three years ago'.
now what i got from all this is that mary DID die three years ago as well as laura who does not realise that she is in fact no longer among the living.
she is a spirit who does not realise that she has passed away three years ago.
she still thinks she is 8 years old - the age she was three years ago when she died in the hospital of a terminal illness. after all she was in the same place as mary who was terminal and not going to get better. my guess is she had the same illness mary had and died around the same time too.
yes she is innocent. yes she is guilt-free. but i believe she is a ghost as well and doesnt know it.
love 9a6.
. u n w o u n d . 1991 ---> 2091 .
Icarus
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Icarus »

The only people that see monsters in Silent Hill 2 is James. To Ed, their people making fun of him, and to Ang, their her father.
I felt [i][b]infinite[/b][/i].
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

That makes sense with Laura being a ghost...but why would James walk away with her in the Leave ending? Wouldn't that still be living a part of the lie?
Icarus
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Icarus »

9a6riel wrote:no one ever agrees with this but heres what ive always thought about her.
in the hotel james reads her letter from mary. she wishes laura a happy 8th birthday in the letter. james asks laura how old she is right away. laura tells him she just turned 8 last week. james then says 'then mary couldnt have died three years ago'.
now what i got from all this is that mary DID die three years ago as well as laura who does not realise that she is in fact no longer among the living.
she is a spirit who does not realise that she has passed away three years ago.
she still thinks she is 8 years old - the age she was three years ago when she died in the hospital of a terminal illness. after all she was in the same place as mary who was terminal and not going to get better. my guess is she had the same illness mary had and died around the same time too.
yes she is innocent. yes she is guilt-free. but i believe she is a ghost as well and doesnt know it.
love 9a6.

Mary died like three days before the events of Silent Hill 2. The whole three YEARS thing is just what James came up with while trying to cope with just murdering he own wife. And you can be in the same hospital as a terminaly ill person...

-Ech117
9a6riel
Gravedigger

Post by 9a6riel »

yeah i know everyone else believes that the whole 'three years thing' was the lie and that you can be in the same place as a terminally ill person.
ive heard it all before. no one agrees with me and thats fine with me.
its just what i believe.
love 9a6.
. u n w o u n d . 1991 ---> 2091 .
Icarus
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Icarus »

Ok, please don't get upset over this ok? But all I was saying is that there is more info that points away from the theroy of her being a ghost. Like her letter from Mary...I don't think that Mary would write a letter to a dead girl.

EDIT: Ok I found this...it might help.

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... ght=letter
Last edited by Icarus on 05 Jun 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Whoomp
Gravedigger

Post by Whoomp »

Cole.Is.A.Maniac wrote:I more as went with the fact that Laura is the innocent side of Mary. And thusly, she does not see the monsters. Her innocence shields her from it.
Yeah but that don't explain the doorman monster that attacks her.
Silent_Hill_Tourist
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Hill_Tourist »

When does Laura get attacked by a monster?
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/justatouristoptimized.jpg[/img]