Silent Hill, according to Angela:

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Apparently 91% of people get the hint.
Only 78% of the 124 people who voted and are members of this Web site believed, at one point, Angela was sexually abused. Many people have changed their minds since their initial vote due to unraveling of new evidence and reinterpreting of old alleged evidence.

>I guess the new line of thinking is that she was only "physically abused."
The only evidence provided in the game indicates she was physically abused. This, then, is an established fact. One must remit said facts, and create suppositional "evidence," to draw the conclusion she was sexually abused.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

>Yea, because the Otherworld is such big, self-evident news, right?
You're not making any sense, like usual.
You're being flippantly daft, like usual. I'm saying your metaphor is shit, because when you mention LA is dangerous, everyone generally knows what you're talking about. Silent Hill is a peaceful, happy resort town to the world at large, and the Otherworld and the dangers it possesses aren't public knowledge.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Not according to Angela and Henry, both of who have heard about Silent Hill's dangerous side. Then, of course, there's Lisa and Cybil, Ernest and Douglas—who else?

The [otherside] isn't relevant in your example b/c Angela hasn't experienced it yet, and so not even she knows about it.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Not according to Angela and Henry, both of who have heard about Silent Hill's dangerous side. Then, of course, there's Lisa and Cybil, Ernest and Douglas—who else?
A handful six or so survivors does not mean "public knowledge" on the level of fucking LA.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

You should have kept reading. . . .

You should also swear more—it makes you sound more awesome and less like a compulsive liar.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

AuraTwilight wrote:Silent Hill is a peaceful, happy resort town to the world at large
Even though Silent Hill continues to function as a town, it's hardly peaceful or happy.

Nasty rumors circulate for various reasons, causing tourism to die off. There's that drug trade specializing in PTV that resulted in the suspicious deaths of cops and local politicians. Even after Kaufmann died, there's mention of Toby Archbolt making much of his money through drug trafficking... it doesn't take much imagination to guess how Vincent got so rich.

Then there's that cult. America, as it is, is generally unfriendly towards cults, most of which don't have the violent history of the Order (which is freely on display for the tourists). That Lisa unquestioningly blames them for the disappearances during resort development indicates the bad reputation that the Order has... and then Joseph Schreiber published his article on Wish House, exposing Silent Hill to the rest of the nation as "that town with the cult that tortures children." That's the sort of story that CNN will run for weeks.

Then there are the disappearances, which everyone seems to know about. Silent Hill may not be abandoned, but it is desolate and its reputation around the world is closer to Jonestown than to Mayberry.
Empyrean
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Empyrean »

You should have kept reading. . . .

You should also swear more—it makes you sound more awesome and less like a compulsive liar.
Its nice to see how your arrogance copes with some one disproving your ideas.
JehanSunderland
Just Passing Through

Post by JehanSunderland »

I have a few comments about the actual topic, but this argument here kinda scared me away from this topic for a while...
What if Angela's Otherworld is a bit like Henry Townsend's apartment? I mean, in that it's essentially a house, but includes entrances to other places that are quite un-houselike.
This would explain the anomaly of the piston room with what else we have seen of Angela's Otherworld.
And the piston room's symbolism does apply to Angela, I personally thought. (However, this is only true if she was indeed sexually abused, as I, and many others it seems, believe.)
The movements of the walls in the room seem quite, well, sexually suggestive to me. The meaning of the movements of the pistons/blocks/whatever-they-are-exactly, sliding partially in and out of the wall I saw to be representative of Angela's rape.
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

What a way to revive an old thread :D
JehanSunderland wrote:I have a few comments about the actual topic, but this argument here kinda scared me away from this topic for a while...
What if Angela's Otherworld is a bit like Henry Townsend's apartment? I mean, in that it's essentially a house, but includes entrances to other places that are quite un-houselike.
That is actually an interesting thing to think about... although there didn't seem to suggest anywhere that Angela was confused where she was, and the way that the worm holes were presented in SH4, Henry was pretty confused why they were there and where the holes will bring him to. Angela seemed to be able to travel around to places she "needs" to go to without much hesitation or confusion. Otherwise, that is surely food for thoughts.
JehanSunderland wrote:And the piston room's symbolism does apply to Angela, I personally thought. (However, this is only true if she was indeed sexually abused, as I, and many others it seems, believe.)
The movements of the walls in the room seem quite, well, sexually suggestive to me. The meaning of the movements of the pistons/blocks/whatever-they-are-exactly, sliding partially in and out of the wall I saw to be representative of Angela's rape.
This brought back my memory of this thread... my gosh... these recent new threads made me search for these old ones and I have been spending hours re-reading these arguments... O_o
JehanSunderland
Just Passing Through

Post by JehanSunderland »

although there didn't seem to suggest anywhere that Angela was confused where she was, and the way that the worm holes were presented in SH4, Henry was pretty confused why they were there and where the holes will bring him to. Angela seemed to be able to travel around to places she "needs" to go to without much hesitation or confusion.
But just because Henry reacts with confusion doesn't mean that every character necessarily would do the same. Harry wasn't expecting any of the weird stuff, as he pretty much just an innocent bystander drawn into the whole mess that Walter created. Angela seems to know something of the town, as well as be very messed up psychologically. Perhaps Angela simply does not react as strongly as Henry.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Because Angela's already been through most of her journey. By the time James first meets her, she's already been in town for quite some time.
redpyramid
Just Passing Through

Post by redpyramid »

perhaps but doesnt agela everything she sees is on fire? and then at th end james can see it to or something like that idk...

:twisted: RedPyramid :twisted:
[color=red][b]User was deactivated for being underage.[/b][/color]
Noble Kale
Just Passing Through

Post by Noble Kale »

I like the theory but i've always believed that Angela was well on her way by the time we meet her. I believe that when we meet her again on the stairs we are seeing her "bad ending"
This is the year when hope fails you
When the test subjects run the experiments
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

I see it as her "Bad ++ Ending". She's realized what she's done, yet she still can't accept it. She's still looking for her mother. She thanks James for saving her, yet she's still suicidal ("James...give me back that knife.")

I think this is reflecting what could happen to James. James could realize what he's done, yet he still can't accept it, wanting to kill himself like how Angela wants to kill herself. This is shown in the "In Water" ending.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

simeonalo wrote:I think this is reflecting what could happen to James. James could realize what he's done, yet he still can't accept it, wanting to kill himself like how Angela wants to kill herself. This is shown in the "In Water" ending.
Oh, most definitely. Angela points the way to "In Water," in that she accepts her actions but refuses to move on. Eddie points the way to "Maria," in that he justifies his actions and escalates to make the justification stick (James will kill Maria as surely as the sun will rise).

It's a lot like the Shin Megami Tensei series (the main series, I mean), in that the player has the freedom to decide between three or so routes. There are two or so supporting cast members who each go down one of those paths and beckon him to follow. Presumably, they also had the freedom to decide, but their personalities all but predetermined what route they would follow.

This is the general constraint on the freedom to decide one's path (we theoretically have unlimited choice, but circumstances limit us to one or two real options), so what the player is really determining are the particulars of the protagonist's personality that force him down one path or another.

The same applies for James and, more explicitly,
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Harry.
SHF

Post by SHF »

its never said when angela actually arrives in town.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
LeriSuccubus
Just Passing Through

Re:

Post by LeriSuccubus »

helldescent wrote:its never said when angela actually arrives in town.
Or if she even started in the cemetary for that matter. Where was she before she first came to town and what route did she take? She was looking for her dad and brother in the cemetary, then decided to look for her mother.
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Re: Silent Hill, according to Angela:

Post by JuriDawn »

Forum behavior that exhibits common sense:

When you wish to express a specific belief about any character, either find a thread about that specific subject to post in, or, if none exists, create one yourself.

Forum behavior that exhibits a lack of common sense:

When you wish to express a specific belief, express it in the appropriate thread, then again in any thread that even tangentially discusses the character in question, because it's okay to derail a discussion if you really really want people to remember what you told them in eight other threads. Everyone knows the way to convince others that you are right is to simply repeat your views enough times.

Off-topic posts have been removed. While spam is against the rules as it is, this particular tendency of some people to try and make every SH2 thread about Angela's abuse is particularly irritating. The next time it happens, an official warning will be issued.
SHF

Re: Re:

Post by SHF »

LeriSuccubus wrote:
helldescent wrote:its never said when angela actually arrives in town.
Or if she even started in the cemetary for that matter. Where was she before she first came to town and what route did she take? She was looking for her dad and brother in the cemetary, then decided to look for her mother.
She first says she is looking for her mother, then she says she can't find her brother and father.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]