Meaning behind Save system?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

oh come on.

that was a really clever explanation.

as you can see, leet speak will describe this perfectly

st. thomas isnt a n00b and you aint g0t t3h credits he g0t
H3 C0ULD PUT Y0U IN T3H PWN ZONE.

it seems like none of you have a sense of humor =[
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Sorry to say this, but this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard from you
Sorry to say this, but you're an idiot.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
stone_psycho
Just Passing Through

Re: =]

Post by stone_psycho »

December Man wrote:
St. Thomas wrote:The red save points are windows from James' mind to ours: We're the ones groping around in his skull; and we're the ones controlling James on his journey. The save screen is of him staring into our reality while we stare calmly back at his.
Oh. My. God. Sorry to say this, but this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard from you and I've heard it all.
it's stupid, even though james himself says something along the lines of "someone groping around in his head" when he looks into it for the first time? hmmm
December Man
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by December Man »

St. Thomas wrote:>Sorry to say this, but this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard from you
Sorry to say this, but you're an idiot.
Likewise, you.

What you say is just totally absurd.
it's stupid, even though james himself says something along the lines of "someone groping around in his head" when he looks into it for the first time? hmmm
Yes. It can mean everything, why should we think it's the gamer that's 'groping in his head'. Where the hell did you get that idea, St. Thomas? Any developer would do everything to keep the gamer in the story, and that idea keeps us out of it; makes the story unreal.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Then who is groping around in his head? I think that St. Thomas has an excellent theory.
Glazarus
Historical Society Historian

Post by Glazarus »

There are several things that points to the window theory, if some people just payed attention to ingame events and a little time of thinking.

First, we got the formation of them at the last savepoint. Next, we got the "feels like someone is groping around in my mind", which, because of the appearence of the savescreen, points most likely to US being the one groping around. Why else would we look at James face through that red square?
Then we got the general idea of the gamer controlling the characters fate, but is controlled by the forces in Silent Hill. This is said directly from the DEVELOPERS when they explain the nature of Heathers journey in the third game.
Teamsilent has always used these "mustbe's" in games, in a way so that they don't stand out... they would never let a character stop and say: "to open the door, press the action key". Because we must save at some point in the game, they used the savepoints as something that still fits within the mythology of Silent Hill.
In the first and fourth, we had journals and a diary, which in the third made the first notes important to the plot.

In the second and third game, the savepoints were all about the nature of layers.
The layer of realities that you encounter in the game: Mist, Darkness, real world.
The unreality were built on the first two and possible one more, "the past".
What the savepoints did was actually to introduce another layer... OUR layer.
The window is a window into our layer of reality. If you listen to what the developers said, it will all make sense.

So, the window theory has a big majority of supporters and is actually pretty well backed up. If you, december man, has another theory that you can explain even better then this, then feel free to write it down... it's no use just denying what everyone says... that way, you will just make sure you never open your mind to possible truths.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZO3_UaUJs&fmt=22][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4855/psalm21banner.jpg[/img][/url]
December Man
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by December Man »

OMG. I wrote my theory in this thread a while ago, won't look for it.

This 'our layer' theory is just looking for a deeper meaning when there isn't one.

:Edit:
Found it.
'I always thought the red square is a mirror which shows what kind of a person you are/who are you and such.
James stares at it and he looks imperfect, blurry, because he made a sin.
Maria is perfect - nothing wrong with her reflection. That means she IS perfect - the perfect delusion.
Heather seems to be older in the reflection(at least that's what I think), which is true, because she's at least 7 years older than she appears.'
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

The way James look is because the red square is imperfect, not him. Look on the surface of it and you'l get the point.
I think it's rather far fetched, what you say, especially when the developers themselfs pointed out some of the things revolving the whole resurrection idea of the save system. Also, you seem to forget the really important thing that James say when he check the red square for the first time. Who do you suggest is groping around in his skull? When we see directly at him through the square?
How do you explain the formation of the red squares at the end?

And the thing you back your theory on is that they look different at the savescreen.
I don't think Heather looks older, I don't think Maria looks prettier. Is that your evidence?

The window theory has answers for all these things, which means that you must explain them through your theory, or else you haven't countered what any of us have said. The window theory is still much better backed up... so give me your best shot.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZO3_UaUJs&fmt=22][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4855/psalm21banner.jpg[/img][/url]
December Man
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by December Man »

'when the developers themselfs pointed out some of the things revolving the whole resurrection idea of the save system'

Pardon? It seems that most of you point at some interviews with the developers. I haven't seen or read any of these. Could you give me some links?

I have to agree my theory is far fetched, but yes, Heather does seem to look older; Maria looks at the same looking red squares at which looks James, yet she doesn't look blurry and all.
However the fact that they are being resurrected does not prove we are the ones groping in his skull. I don't know who is doing this, maybe, looking into that square, he's groping himself, just unconsciously.
[img]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5149/smallershsig8jd.jpg[/img]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Likewise, you.
'Fraid not--especially considering that Heather doesn't look remotely different.

>What you say is just totally absurd.
With a foundation built on in-game evidence. Weird...

Your signature exceeds the allotted size. Change it.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
December Man
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by December Man »

St. Thomas wrote: 'Fraid not--especially considering that Heather doesn't look remotely different.
'Fraid so.
St. Thomas wrote: With a foundation built on in-game evidence. Weird...
What in-game evidence? A single sentence?
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

December Man wrote:
St. Thomas wrote: 'Fraid not--especially considering that Heather doesn't look remotely different.
'Fraid so.
St. Thomas wrote: With a foundation built on in-game evidence. Weird...
What in-game evidence? A single sentence?
Heather doesn't look older.... there's a difference between older and different.
And also, there is no reason for her to look older, why would she?

And... it's not just an ingame sentence... read my post about the theory again.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>'Fraid so.
Oh man you totally got me LULZ

>A single sentence?
Sometimes that's all you need.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
December Man
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by December Man »

First, we got the formation of them at the last savepoint.
What is that info? Where is it exactly?
Next, we got the "feels like someone is groping around in my mind", which, because of the appearence of the savescreen, points most likely to US being the one groping around. Why else would we look at James face through that red square?
Said about this in my previous post.
Then we got the general idea of the gamer controlling the characters fate, but is controlled by the forces in Silent Hill. This is said directly from the DEVELOPERS when they explain the nature of Heathers journey in the third game.
Give me exact quotes where it was said.
Teamsilent has always used these "mustbe's" in games, in a way so that they don't stand out... they would never let a character stop and say: "to open the door, press the action key". Because we must save at some point in the game, they used the savepoints as something that still fits within the mythology of Silent Hill.
In the first and fourth, we had journals and a diary, which in the third made the first notes important to the plot.
Is that an official statement? Again, I need quotes.
In the second and third game, the savepoints were all about the nature of layers.
The layer of realities that you encounter in the game: Mist, Darkness, real world.
The unreality were built on the first two and possible one more, "the past".
What the savepoints did was actually to introduce another layer... OUR layer.
Typical theoritical mumbo-jumbo.
The window is a window into our layer of reality. If you listen to what the developers said, it will all make sense.
Any quotes?
Sometimes that's all you need.
A single sentence ain't gonna cut it. I believe you have much more than that up your sleeve.
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

1. The structure of a window... how did you interper it? Did you ever do it at all?
Do you think they made that without purpose? lol

2. You didn't counter the facts, just talked about the distorted James, which doesn't say much.

3. Have you seen the "making of" documentaries of the second and third game?
Have you checked any info outside of the games?

4. Read number 3.

5. No, it's a general theory that many have because we studied these games for quite some time now. The layers are there, the real world and the unreality.
The next layer being OUR world is my own theory based on... read number 3!

6. Uhm... read number 3.

7. Well, you aint got anything to back you up, so why the hell are you saying that sentence is useless? Because it's a major support for the window theory?

lol... and uhm read number 3.
December Man
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by December Man »

Glazarus wrote:1. The structure of a window... how did you interper it? Did you ever do it at all?
Do you think they made that without purpose? lol
Just seen it. It doesn't look like anything. Looks like 9 squares put together forming an even bigger red square. Looks like a window to you?... Great imagination. Hm.
Glazarus wrote: 2. You didn't counter the facts, just talked about the distorted James, which doesn't say much.
Tell that to St. Thomas who thinks a single sentence can make a difference and destroy the fourth wall for many people.

Plus, even I said my theory is pretty far-fetched.
Glazarus wrote: 3. Have you seen the "making of" documentaries of the second and third game?
Have you checked any info outside of the games?(plus other reffering to this point)
Just checked. Lost Memories. There is a talk about resurrection, yes, but it is also said that when the player loads the game, Heather resurrects which is a painful experience for her. That's all. Nothing of a window to our world. She is looking at the Crest, not at us.

I have to admit this is a rather pathetic excuse for save points, really. Trying to make it work along with the story...whatever.
7. Well, you aint got anything to back you up, so why the hell are you saying that sentence is useless? Because it's a major support for the window theory?
I didn't say it's useless. I said that one sentence is not enough to make me believe otherwise.

Gonna check Making of's tomorrow.

:Edit:
Just finished watching SH2's Making of. There was absolutely nothing about the save system, windows to our world and such.
[img]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5149/smallershsig8jd.jpg[/img]
the man in the planet
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by the man in the planet »

i still stand behind my theory that the save points are markers for james getting closer to the truth, that each time you save, the "groping" is the memory coming closer to the surface. also, no one has commented on how frank loyd wright uses red ceramic tiles at the entrances of the home he designed.
[img]http://www.rubbersquare.com/flipsig.jpg[/img]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Probably because there's nothing to comment on.

Three-hundred to go.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AnneMarie
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by AnneMarie »

the man in the planet:
i still stand behind my theory that the save points are markers for james getting closer to the truth, that each time you save, the "groping" is the memory coming closer to the surface.
Yes, he is coming closer to the truth. But he says "someone groping" - that 'someone' is the player... do you enjoy being a psychiatrist?

St. Thomas> Three-hundred to go.
Oh damn - I haven't studied your teachings enough yet!
Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door................ Locked. F*** it.
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

There is a problem here and that is that the ones saying the window theory is wrong, isn't exactly opposing the things that backs up the theory.

You haven't explained why he says "Someone's groping around in my head".

Now, the window theory explains it quite clear and plausible. Please make a clear theory explaination of your own, or else, stop questioning something you don't understand.