SH1 to SH2

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

chocolocolatte
Just Passing Through

SH1 to SH2

Post by chocolocolatte »

okay so in silent hill one im not clear on what happens when Alessa is deafeted. i thought the town collapsed into a hole of something and is therefore "nowhere". now maybe what i heard is wrong but i dont understand how it exists in silent hill two (i have only played silent hill two and three) if it "fell in a hole". mayeb that explains the quote "the was a hole here, its gone now" on the wall in SH2?
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Nowhere, the place, crumbles and is destroyed (feel free to correct me on that, though. I can't understand this stuff sometimes). The town has not. Clearly, since James can visit it again. Alessa's Nowhere doesn't exist in SH2, because she's not a part of that game, but the town still shifts and responds according to James's mind and heart - his guilt and his suppressed memories.

That quote doesn't mean what you're thinking. There are a few topics pertaining to that quote; lemme find some for you..

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=289 There's one.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Silent Hill in the first game was being conjured and controlled by Alessa. It wasn't the actual town, it was Alessa's version of it. After she got injured with the Flauros, she was no longer able to maintain her reality, and it collapsed into Nowhere, eventually into nothing upon her death.

However, it was Alessa's Alternate Silent Hill that crumbled. The real town itself still exists, as does Foggy Silent Hill, obviously, since we've seen it in SH2 and 3.

The hole reference in Neely's Bar is potentially explained by SH4.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

yea i thought that was some riddle to something
Dunkel_Teufel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Dunkel_Teufel »

There is something interesting about all of this...

In the first game you control someone that is connected somehow to the main events in the town. Alessa, the cult, etc...
In the second game, though, you control someone that is just called by the town, by that evil force leaved by the cult and the main events... by the evil left in the real town.
But, in both games, you are never actualy in the real town, just alternate versions of it. One caused by Alessa, another one... by the evil in the town powered by James guilt.

Sorry for my bad english
[img]http://www.geocities.com/ordocornixumbra/sigdunkel.jpg[/img]
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

There is no evil force behind the town. It's just a neutral force. In Silent Hill 1, Alessa manipulates it. In Silent Hill 2, each character manipulates it themselves.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Silent Hill is what you make it. Mary found it immensely peaceful and wonderful, Laura sees nothing there at all, and James, Eddie and Angela see what they see.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
reginald potamus
Just Passing Through

Post by reginald potamus »

about the hole message at bar neelys.

from translated book of lost memories:

'IN silent hill 2 "holes" appear repeatedly upon and after James arrival beneath the historical society. James falls through these holes many times over as if lured by something. One can think that these holes symbolize the abyss which has opened up in his heart. By means of falling through holes, James dives into his own subconcious and finally comes to accept the crime he has commited. As with the scrawled words at the bar (bar neelys), it seems that in the town of silent hill holes open up here and there and lure those who hold darkness in their hearts.
scatlovers.com a site dedicated to the artful eating of poo
Magdalene

Post by Magdalene »

Drewfus wrote:Silent Hill is what you make it. Mary found it immensely peaceful and wonderful, Laura sees nothing there at all, and James, Eddie and Angela see what they see.
Which makes alot of sense, seeing as how James seemed to step into "Angelas" world right before she left. The fire..."It's always like this..."
chocolocolatte
Just Passing Through

yes

Post by chocolocolatte »

Dunkel_Teufel wrote:There is something interesting about all of this...

In the first game you control someone that is connected somehow to the main events in the town. Alessa, the cult, etc...
In the second game, though, you control someone that is just called by the town, by that evil force leaved by the cult and the main events... by the evil left in the real town.
But, in both games, you are never actualy in the real town, just alternate versions of it. One caused by Alessa, another one... by the evil in the town powered by James guilt.

Sorry for my bad english
yeah i kinda had that thought as well, like what's left over from Alessa is the ability to control the "foggy" silent hill and therefore ur own little hell. like the monsters crawling out of ur head almost. and thanx for clearing up the hole thing krist, i havent even played the first one so i didnt know what was up with that.
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

It's not left over from Alessa.

You have to understand that Silent Hill is a powerful place of its own accord. The happenings in SH2 are unrelated to the Cult - the Otherside and monsters are made possible by the land itself. The ritual James goes through in the "Rebirth" ending appeals to the "Old Gods" of Silent Hill.

SH2 is completely unrelated to The Cult, Alessa, Dahlia... the whole first game, aside from the fact it takes place in the town of Silent Hill. It's not even the same part of the town.
Dunkel_Teufel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Dunkel_Teufel »

Oh, thanx for correct me:)
But, one question, then, does the cult really does something?... Isnt the cult following the ancient teachings? Arent they, then, the ones who makes things happens?...
[img]http://www.geocities.com/ordocornixumbra/sigdunkel.jpg[/img]
alone in the town

No. They've learned how to, in some cases, access the Otherside at will, and in some rare cases, even manipulate it to a degree. But they aren't responsible for its existence. The latent powers that can be tapped to create the Otherside were there long before the Order existed.
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

Like AitT said, the Cult simply taps into what is essentially a natural resource - it's a neutral power that can be manipulated for good or evil.

Trouble is that good people generally don't manipulate great power.
Xioz Taschez
Just Passing Through

Post by Xioz Taschez »

Couple questions:

First, in SH1 you make your way to the Resort Area via the sewer system near Midwhich School... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Secondly, in the sewers you are obviously moving west to come out near the resort, again correct me if I'm mistaken. Now my question...

Could the road that you see coming off of Midwhich Street on the map of Old Silent Hill, Shown here, be Craig Street in the resort area, Shown here? If so, then it provides a complete geographical connection between the two games, with the SH2 connection to the resort area Shown here. (If accepted, I'll try to make a complete map of the town from the 2 games if not made already)

Question 2: Cleared up here.

Anyway, *shrugs*
Last edited by Xioz Taschez on 07 Oct 2006, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/Tashchez/Avatars%20n%20Sigs/xmt.jpg[/img]
alone in the town

Silent Hill 1: 1983
Silent Hill 2: 1994
Silent Hill 3: 2000
Silent Hill 4: 2004

omgz i stole the timeline from linda lol
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Look for the timeline at the top of the General Discussion thread. I developed it, IYI WYN.

You avatar exceeds the allotted size of 100x100 pixels. Please re-size it. Thanks.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Xioz Taschez
Just Passing Through

Post by Xioz Taschez »

Thanks for the timeline clear up.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/Tashchez/Avatars%20n%20Sigs/xmt.jpg[/img]
NightFlutter
Hope House Careworker

Post by NightFlutter »

I still haven't found out what says SH2 took place 11 years after SH1.
[url=http://www.myspace.com/unknown_monkeyman][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/ForgotAboutDre/My%20Creations/Sigs/SigPro.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]“Standing above the crowd...he had a voice that was strong and loud."[/i]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well, theres so many types of worlds and layers to Silent Hill that when one crumbles like the 'Nowhere' world, another person creates one just like it with their hatred.