Angela, Eddie, James the same?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Angelirium
Just Passing Through

Post by Angelirium »

I believe they are 3 differents persons too. Yes, there is similarity, of course, the mean Idea of SH2 is to show what IS Silent Hill now that the cult is almost dead, resurected in SH3 like Vincent explain and it was also explain in Lost Memories. But in SH2, the town is somehow surviving by feeding on people like James, in some way. Well, that's how I see it, it's simple and explain almost everything. That explain the origin of Angela, James and Eddie, 3 persons behing haunted by the past, the choices. Laura is pure, she is there only for good intention. She is real as long as James, Eddie and Angela, proof is, Laura see Eddie and James... but Maria can't be seen by Laura, as show after bowling. Also, the real face of Maria is seen in the intro. The town only show to these 3 persons what they have inside, tortured them with past and what they keep inside. When we get to close to one of these person, the world of the other get in the way. For exemple, near Eddie, dead people are display. The dead one in the chair of the appartement appear before we actualy meet Eddie. The fire or burn stuff... always near Angela...
I don't know... maybe I did...
Sutailja
Just Passing Through

Post by Sutailja »

I think Angela, Laura, Eddie and Maria are different people, the question is of course, if the are REAL, but that is another story. If their personalities mean anything at all I would say it is just clues to us, the gamers, that James might not be as nice as we think. That he have a different side/sides to him. An innocent/guilty/ suicidal?/remorseful side? It just represent his different sides.
Death is only the beginning
Vincents Fangirl
Just Passing Through

Post by Vincents Fangirl »

Hell_is_Silent wrote:"If Angela and Eddie are only in James's mind, why does Laura see Eddie?"

I read this, and forgot about it. Now, I'm just playing the devil's advocate here. I don't know that they're all in his head, I'm just explaining that they could be.

It's possible that Laura exists within his head too. Sure she existed in the real world and knew Mary, but I'm sure Mary told James about meeting her, and because he was aware of her, he created her too when he created the others.
That's a theory, but then why does James act so surprised when Laura tells him she knew Mary, then?
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Wow, you guys, this thread's over a year old.
I think Angela, Laura, Eddie and Maria are different people, the question is of course, if the are REAL, but that is another story. If their personalities mean anything at all I would say it is just clues to us, the gamers, that James might not be as nice as we think. That he have a different side/sides to him. An innocent/guilty/ suicidal?/remorseful side? It just represent his different sides.
Everyone's real except Maria. James simply meets Angela, Laura, and Eddie because the Otherworld sometimes leads people to meet others they have something in common with to help reflect their hearts, or to lead them to people they have a connection with.
That's a theory, but then why does James act so surprised when Laura tells him she knew Mary, then?
Exactly. James never knew of Laura's existence beforehand. Besides, she's a foil for reality. Without her, we just have some delusional dude.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
valiturus

Post by valiturus »

Very interesting theory indeed, but if it were true, how come...
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
there were three separate graves in the graveyard?
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's symbolic of how they've each gone into their personal abyss's. It doesn't really mean anything about whether or not they're real.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JOHNNYBEGOOD
Just Passing Through

Post by JOHNNYBEGOOD »

The relationship between James, Eddie, and Angela are discussed in the link I posted in the thread 'The Silent Hill 2 Psychology BIBLE". I'm too lazy to describe it here.
[size=167]ಠ_ಠ[/size]
greenrizz
Just Passing Through

Re: Angela, Eddie, James the same?

Post by greenrizz »

thetony wrote:I am not entirely sure that this topic has been discussed before, but is it possible that Angela, Eddie, and James are all the same person. I mean Pyramid was an obvious symbol that represented James sick and twisted mind, but is it also possible that Eddie is James's muderous self, and Angela is his possible innocent victim? Maybe not innocent victim but Angela did kill her father to be free of his abuse, and james did kill mary to be free from her. I dont know i was just experimenting with different meanings. Tell me what you think. And if this topic has been discussed please link me to this topic.
I like this theroy, that team silent were using imagery of james throughout to try and explain his feelings and situation...works for me :D
FanoSays
Just Passing Through

Post by FanoSays »

This is a very very interesting concept for me and I'd like to believe they're connected, but how WOULD they be connected exactly, besides the fact that Eddie KINDA looks like a fat and slightly retarded James?
[quote="Xigz"]I really have no respect for you.[/quote]
Oh my God? Oh my God!
[color=red]GOD CAN'T HELP YOU NOW![/color]
:twisted:
Harrold Mason
Just Passing Through

Post by Harrold Mason »

I think it makes more sense for them to be separate people in their own right, but to illustrate parallels to James - where he might have chosen differently.

If James had given up on his quest and decided he deserved eternal damnation, he would have ended up just as Angela did. But if he decided to just go crazy and indulge in the same murderous behaviour that got him into the whole mess, he'd end up like Eddie.

I think they're there to show what might have been.

The two things that convince me they're real people are the three graves at the end of the labyrinth and the fact we're given a cut-scene showing a totally different Silent Hill - Angela's - in the hotel. In a way, we also see Eddie's throughout the game - all the dead people. Eddie kills more people in his Silent Hill than James ever even SEES in his. I'd say they were conjured by Eddie's mind.
Saourealis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Saourealis »

That is an interesting theory.

While I've always considered Angela, Eddie, and James separate entities, I think you've at least raised a decent point. Perhaps it is that set of similarities that allow the three to meet, or, as mentioned in another theory, for their "minds to overlap". And hell, why not throw Laura in there too? She could easily be the part of James that longs for his wife, and loves her purely.
[quote="JuriDawn"]See, that's what Silent Hill's been missing: scantily clad bitches. Silent Hill 5 will feature an all-female cast of hyper-sexualized lifeguards and camp counselors stranded at Toluca lake. One of the puzzles will require that the player swap the characters' bathing suits, and you will be able to pursue a lesbian love story side-plot on Next Fear.[/quote]
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

There are similarities, but there are differences. James, Eddie, and Angela are all young. And they are all feeling guilty, and all have suicidal tendencies. But their supposed crimes are different: Eddie's is assault, James's is euthanasia, Angela's is self-defense. Eddie is homicidal, Angela is suicidal, James just wants to find the woman he loves. James and Angela are fairly intelligent, Eddie is stupid. Plus the differences in sex, hair color, attire. I would think that they would either be highly similar or diammetrical opposites. And I tend to doubt that theory for other reasons as well... but it is interesting to consider.