A True Ending of Silent Hill 2, & Why

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Varg6
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Varg6 »

KiramidHead wrote:I was simply stating that James saw the poster, and his subconscious associated the name maria with sexual promiscuity. The name was conveniently similar to Mary, and he named his manifestation after her. Only the name originated from Lady Maria, everything else was based on James's perceptions of and desires about Mary.
He did love his wife. But he absolutely wanted a side that his wife couldn't offer and thus the manifestation. It makes sense.
Det Som Engang Var...
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Re: A True Ending of Silent Hill 2, & Why

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

Every man has his needs....Mary was unable to fulfill her own needs, let alone that of James'. Men can be very primal. Sex is right up there with food, clothing and shelter. Take away any of those and you can make monsters out of humble men. I can feel for James. He tried to stay faithful to Mary, but it ended up making him kill Mary in an act of despair...
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote:Men can be very primal. Sex is right up there with food, clothing and shelter. Take away any of those and you can make monsters out of humble men.
I know you're not generalizing or saying that all men in particular are sex-monkeys, but there is the fact that woman have just the same amount of sexual desires and thoughts that men do. It's a stereotype to say that men are sex crazed & woman are not (Even though I know you're not saying that, just bringing up a point here). It just seems that through history, the majority of females keep their sexual desires to themselves.

I'm sure if Mary was healthy and James was sick, she would have sexual problems as well.

(just bringing up a point here)
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Plus, sex is not 'right up there' with basic necessities. Sex is not a necessity whatsoever. It's entirely possible to live a long life without ever having sex, and going without doesn't 'make a monster' of most people. If it does, their problems are usually more profound than simply not getting laid.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

Those people who live full lives without any sort of intimacy are very few in number and arent considered part of the norm...

Sexual deprivation is one of the reasons people turn to infidelity...
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

SMKaufmann wrote: Sex is Death! The Tiger in Space!
Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

Yeah I agree, sex is no way a necessity.
I can date a female, love her etc, not need sex at all.
Though, I don't like it when people brag about them getting "laid" by their girlfriends all around school.
That's just plain messed up, IMO. Things special like that should be kept secret unless asked upon. :|
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote:Those people who live full lives without any sort of intimacy are very few in number and arent considered part of the norm...
That still doesn't make sex a basic necessity. You can live without having sex. You can't live without eating or protection from the elements.
Sexual deprivation is one of the reasons people turn to infidelity...
Not having a Lexus is one of the reasons people steal them. Most people don't.
AnimalMother
Just Passing Through

Post by AnimalMother »

Can someone tell me where I can find the thread that talked about why James went to woodside apartments? Did and mary used to stay there or something? What was the significance of blue creek and woodside? I need directions to this thread.
The only thing I know is nothing
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

AnimalMother wrote:Can someone tell me where I can find the thread that talked about why James went to woodside apartments? Did and mary used to stay there or something? What was the significance of blue creek and woodside? I need directions to this thread.
http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2416
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
HarrySunderland
Just Passing Through

Post by HarrySunderland »

I've always suspected the Rebirth ending was canon, but there are a lot of In Water fanboys out there. I personally believe that James went to Silent Hill to commit suicide, chickened out, found ritual items and attempted to bring Mary back. Although, if it worked or not is beyond me.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re:

Post by warfare315 »

Caim wrote:I still say the true ending of Silent Hill 2 is what you want it to be.
And I think that's how it will stay and should be... but Adversary, I really enjoyed reading that. :)
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I just read through 35 pages. Go me!
I agree with whoever said that in all the endings, James would probably still never go home, whether he dies, leaves with someone, performs weird rituals, or is foiled by dogs and/or aliens. There is a show on ID called Disappeared, and it seems surprisingly easy for people to just vanish without a trace, even with today's technologies like GPS locators in cell phones, being able to track bank statements and credit card usage, security camera footage, etc. Sometimes they find the missing people dead, and sometimes they find them after they simply abandoned their lives because they felt unwanted by their families, they were in trouble with the law, they lost their memory at random, or they simply wanted to start over.
I don't know which ending I like best as the "true" ending:
1. The Leave ending implies he might adopt Laura, or just drop her off back at St. Jerome's, but if he adopts her he will never get her to do anything he asks her to. She holds all the cards. "You want me to be home by 9? Hey, remember that time you murdered your wife and the woman I loved as my mother? How about I don't have a curfew and no one finds out about that?" She seems like she would be that type to me. :)
2. The Maria ending is my least favorite because I think, like many have stated, that it just leads to a repeated cycle. Maria gets sick like Mary, he kills her, comes back to the town.
3. In Water, despite the fact that time has changed my perspective on things drastically and I can better understand the motives behind it better, is still a major let-down of an ending. You go through all of that just to die at the end? No thanks.
4. I like Rebirth because it is appropriately dark, which is fitting for Silent Hill. I am also of the opinion that the ceremony would probably end up a little Pet Semetary-ish, but I hope Mary would be all Gage-like, and say "Now I want to play with yoooouuuu, James!" I also can't help but hear Pet Semetary by The Ramones every single time I get that ending.
5. Dogs/UFOs= Most likely scenario, really. ;)

Also, quite a few pages back, people were saying Mary would still have cancer if she was revived. I have been absent for awhile, so was it officially established that Mary did have cancer? Also, if the answer to that question pops up in Shattered Memories or Downpour, don't tell me exact details, because I have not played either yet.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

1. The Leave ending implies he might adopt Laura, or just drop her off back at St. Jerome's, but if he adopts her he will never get her to do anything he asks her to. She holds all the cards. "You want me to be home by 9? Hey, remember that time you murdered your wife and the woman I loved as my mother? How about I don't have a curfew and no one finds out about that?" She seems like she would be that type to me.
I somehow don't think Laura would use her best friend's death as leverage in winning petty arguments because that makes her an actually bad person instead of just a child who doesn't know any better.

That, and the two won't be able to leave together, much less LIVE together, if Laura doesn't learn to forgive him and let that go.
Also, quite a few pages back, people were saying Mary would still have cancer if she was revived. I have been absent for awhile, so was it officially established that Mary did have cancer?
No, people are just assuming things.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I was about 80% joking about that. She will be a teenager someday, and she is already a pill as a child, and if there is one thing I have learned over the years is that teenagers will use any advantage to get what they want, even emotional blackmail. :D Mostly kidding, slightly serious.
Thank you. :) A lot of people just kept dropping "cancer" in there, and I wasn't sure if some new info came to light that I wasn't aware of, and I don't want to go hunting for the timeline Thomas made because I haven't played those 2 games yet, and I don't want to accidentally read spoilers.
On a side note: Hi, Aura! Long time, no see. :)
indianrunner
Just Passing Through

Post by indianrunner »

I subscribe to the "In the Water" ending. But I wouldn't have mind if they combined it with the "Leave" ending. That way I could throw Laura's bratty little @ss in my trunk next to Mary's body before I drove my ride into the drink. The "Leave" ending is the only possible I could see James going back home. What I would have like to have seen after the credits rolled is the camera cuts back to Apartment 208 at the Woodside Apts. The camera pans into one of the bedrooms to show Mary's lifeless body lying on the bed. And then the camera moves into the living room to show the identity of the man shot dead in the chair. The man in the chair is James, dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That way I could throw Laura's bratty little @ss in my trunk next to Mary's body before I drove my ride into the drink.
Can we NOT talk about murdering children? Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^ He probably didn't meant anything by it. Was just talking how annoying Laura was, etc.

I thought that part of his post was hilarious. Stop being too sensitive, my friend :lol:
indianrunner
Just Passing Through

Post by indianrunner »

Wow. Really?

1) I was joking. and

2) You do realize Laura is just a video game character ? (and one that tried to Kill you, the player)

Two days on this site and I see I'm going to have to start an "Ignore" list.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I was thinking about this today, and the Leave ending seems to have some additional problems. If James did leave with Laura, he didn't adopt her. He could have taken her back to St. Jerome's or wherever she came from, or they simply vanished and started over with new identities. There was no way he could just say "I would like to adopt her right now please." and be done with it. They might have to put him on a wait list or do a background check or rule him out in favor of a 2 parent household. Would law enforcement look for a child who disappeared from an orphanage, especially one who tends to up and leave quite a bit? They would at least have a good head start before they start looking. Do you think James would end up living a life similar to Harry's if Leave was the true ending?