What Was The Reasons Behind This Cutscene *Spoliers*

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

What Was The Reasons Behind This Cutscene *Spoliers*

Post by Silent_Storm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd8pboHQ4QU

I always felt at that stage of the game, the cutscene added nothing to what you already knew and could really of been better having it shown earlier in the hotel, after the Laura plays the piano cutscene but before entering Room 312.

Any thoughts?
What's the big deal - Laura
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: What Was The Reasons Behind This Cutscene *Spoliers*

Post by Yoshata »

I see what you're saying. But, whether you decide to trigger this cutscene or not actually influences the type of ending you'll get.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I think it does serve a purpose because it is an awfully sad conversation to listen to, and the choice to listen to the headphones increases your likelihood of getting the "In Water" ending, so I think it just sends James into more of a downward spiral to listen to it. Same with listening to the entire conversation in the hallway leading to the final area of the whole game. If you cut it off, your chances of getting "In Water" are lower, but if you stay and let the whole thing play out, it does the opposite.
Besides, I like getting more bits and pieces from James and Mary's story. It makes it more interesting to me, even if it is not something that is surprising in any way at that stage of the game.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

^I think what Silent Storm means is why present that scene in that way; why show a bed floating out in the fog when they could have just had James standing at the desk? I'm...not sure why...
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>whether you decide to trigger this cutscene or not actually influences the type of ending you'll get.<
No it doesn't.

The sequence introduces where James got the three year deal, why it wasn't just some arbitrary number. It also shows the bed on which Mary was diagnosed, offering an explanation for why that bed mysteriously appears throughout James' journey.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

^^
Oh...I thought I'd read the ending thing somewhere. I'll have to find where I read it, because I believed it right away...d'oh.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Maybe it does. The book Crimson Ceremony is found in the hotel's reading room, and it's the final artifact to achieve the Rebirth ending, but maybe listening in on yourself directs James closer to a watery grave.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

I mean it more in a sense that the showing the scene after the events in Room 312 makes little sense.

I agree entirely that the scene is the key to the '3 year' time span on Marys death.

But I am sure it would of worked better seeing it when you still believed
Mary died of natural causes 3 years ago or could still be alive somewhere in Silent Hill.

The events of Room 312 mostly disprove both of these theories, so the scene fails to trick you.

Alternatively I think the corridor James/Mary dialogue that plays right before the final boss is placed at a very good point in the game.
It really helps separate James in your mind from his new found evil especially after the 2 Pyramid Heads scene and allows you to appreciate some of his own personal sufferings
What's the big deal - Laura
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

Maybe it just shows how Mary was separated from everything because of her illness. She was just in bed the whole time I'm guessing not being able to go outside or out of her room so she has nothing but the bed she lays on.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Yoshata wrote:I thought I'd read the ending thing somewhere. I'll have to find where I read it, because I believed it right away.
You probably read it in the Translated Memories. It's specified as an ending requirement for the In Water: "Listen to the headphones in the reading room after watching the tape.".
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

And pretty much any walkthrough/FAQ type thing you look up with ending guidelines mentions the headphones. He could've read it anywhere.
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

^^
She. 8)

Yep, I read it in Translated Memories, as mikefile said. Didn't remember before.
Dr. Robotnik
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Yoshata wrote:
I think it does serve a purpose because it is an awfully sad conversation to listen to, and the choice to listen to the headphones increases your likelihood of getting the "In Water" ending, so I think it just sends James into more of a downward spiral to listen to it. Same with listening to the entire conversation in the hallway leading to the final area of the whole game. If you cut it off, your chances of getting "In Water" are lower, but if you stay and let the whole thing play out, it does the opposite.
Leaving early increases your chance of getting the "Maria" ending so much that I've gotten it without even meaning to, or doing anything else (like protecting Maria), just because I walked out right away to speed through the game.

The dialogue seems designed to determine whether James is the kind of person who will see things through to the end even when it's time-consuming and difficult, or if he's the kind of person who gets indifferent or frustrated enough to abandon someone even when they need him.