Floods and Smoke (Possible Spoilers)

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

DouglasDaPerv
Just Passing Through

Floods and Smoke (Possible Spoilers)

Post by DouglasDaPerv »

Ok, apologies if this thread has been made before although I couldn't find it.

Ok something that struck me throughout the game is the constant theme of Flooding and Smoke, for e.g.. In the apartment, the entire staircase is flooded and the Otherworld Hotel Is also flooded with a lingering Smokey Mist. I realise that the flooding could possibly tie in to the "In Water" ending as James is constantly thinking of his suicide in the Lake. Also seeing as this particular Smokey Mist only lingers in the hotel, could it possibly be a reference to the burning down on the hotel maybe? The walls do indeed look somewhat burned. What's your views?
(Cynthia lying on the floor covered in blood)
Henry: :| Are you OK?
mikefile
Gravedigger

Re: Floods and Smoke (Possible Spoilers)

Post by mikefile »

The burned walls, the humid mist/smoke, dripping walls in the hotel might indicate at the state of the building after the fire extiguishing. You could also relate the Nightmare Hotel to other buildings in a similiar state: it's not only the hotel that got burnt out, his memories with Mary burnt down, Mary burnt down and so his whole world now is- burnt down. The floods, the smokey humidity, depict James' state of mind after the hellfire (literal and metaphorical). The events left a hole in him (life lost meaning) that can only be clogged with the comfort of the peaceful Toluca waters.

Burnout is, by the way, also a psychological term for the experience of long-term exhaustion.
DouglasDaPerv
Just Passing Through

Re: Floods and Smoke (Possible Spoilers)

Post by DouglasDaPerv »

Very true, thank you for feedback.
(Cynthia lying on the floor covered in blood)
Henry: :| Are you OK?