Interview with Troy Baker - The new James Sunderland

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Re: Interview with Troy Baker - The new James Sunderland

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I think I already said this in another topic, but even though it sounds foreign to me (and well, pretty much all of us since we're used to Cihi's voice), I think Baker's voice wasn't bad, nor the voice actresses for Maria and Mary. The only voice I have a problem with is Eddie's. He just sounds like a stoner to me. Not that there's anything wrong with stoners (Well, okay...the fact that they're stoned isn't good for anything), it just doesn't really fit his character.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Okay. Apparently it seems everybody dislikes Eddie's voice.
I actually don't mind.. Eddie's appearance gives me that 'oooooh shiiit! Look at the rainbooow! Woow! Double-rainbow! Just put the guuuun.... aand PHOOOOOW' vibe.
But honestly, am I the only one who doesn't like Maria's voice? She sounds like a 50 yr old hooker.
While Baker.. I vote: 'indifferent' .
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

I didnt like any of the voices at all...especially that of Mary and Maria!
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

What Fungo/Rosseter mentioned about this:

"Troy Baker thinks that Guy Cihi wants risidual checks, a percentage for every unit sold. This is not true. Guy Cihi wants to be payed for use of his performances in completely different releases (XBox, PC). Guy Cihi is a CEO of a company and knows what's in his contract.

So, basically, Troy Baker doesn't know what he's saying."

Just saying.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

This should surprise nobody by this point, but TwinPerfect's knowledge of residual payment in the entertainment industry is as incomplete as their knowledge of Silent Hill. Percentages are only one form of residual payment.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Especially when Guy Cihi has stated there never was a contract with Konami.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

The Adversary wrote:Especially when Guy Cihi has stated there never was a contract with Konami.
Some people, here and elsewhere, had been voicing doubts about that, but here is a bit of an old interview with Sato about SH2:
Takayoshi Sato wrote:"I got enough of budget for SH2 before it started but there were no contract papers. I was approached by executives when SH2 work was being created; they were saying “this is the money as promised”. But the amount was the half of it was promised. So even though the project went very profitable, it was written in red ink. It is rather popular not having contract paper within the same company in Japan and I was aware of its risk. But because SATOWORKS directly reported to Japanese headquarters, we needed to follow the Japanese rule. I found it very difficult following this rule when I was still working in the US office. So I left Konami."
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

The Adversary wrote:Especially when Guy Cihi has stated there never was a contract with Konami.
More reason for Guy to just step down even more. It's as if he wants a magic contact to appear in thin air or something. It's his own fault for going into a job with no contract.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

^ That's pretty harsh. Even if Konami has no legal obligation to pay them, that doesnt make what they're doing less screwed up. I think it's bullshit that they don't have the money. And Guy did step down, keeping quiet about it is his business.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

It may be worthwhile to make a note about Japanese corporations and the environment they operate in. Let's see if I can recall everything and arrange it intelligibly...

People have before made comparisons between the system of keiretsu and the old feudal architecture of Japan. There's a lot of truth to that. A few select families have ownership of several large corporations, which have indirect connections to (and control of) a series of other corporations running down the supply chain, all the way to the procurement of raw materials. This indirect system is the answer to the illegality of the zaibatsu, corporations which controlled their whole supply chain explicitly.

The Japanese worker receives few benefits, no pension, and has access to no safety net. This requires each worker to save for his/her retirement, because the government can't and won't foot the bill (even with the United States providing for its defense, practically pro bono, which frees up enormous amounts of capital for economic and social efforts). This severely limits the Japanese population's capacity for consumption, which combined with the size of its economy and diminishing population, forces Japan to be an export economy (being industrialized is enough to force Japan to be an export economy).

In such a constrained marketplace, there's little room for new entrants, which means the entrepreneurial culture in Japan is virtually nonexistent. Since there are always new college graduates pledging themselves to the companies, it becomes very difficult for someone to leave one company (say, because they find they really don't like working there) and apply to another. The extreme difficulty in moving between employers or going into business for oneself, combined with the lack of pension programs, informally forces a Japanese worker to spend his entire life working for that company that employed him right out of college.

In short, a Japanese company basically owns its workers.

To complete the feudal comparison, that power comes with a responsibility informally conferred by the Japanese government and national banks. Because these corporations are directly responsible for the employment of a certain percentage of the Japanese population, whom really have no other recourse than to be employed by that company, they have an obligation to keep these employees employed for as long as possible. This obligation extends to employees who either aren't very productive, or whose productivity has expired long ago (the Panty and Stocking story "Vomiting Point"... shut up, I know... paints a surprisingly appropriate picture of this kind of bleakness).

Because every company will employ the maximum number of personnel possible, and the government has a vested interest in keeping all of those people employed (high unemployment invariably leads to social unrest), it's not a stretch to say that the government considers every firm "too big to fail." Because of this, the national banks handed out loan after loan to keep as many companies operating as possible.

Because the Japanese marketplace is overcrowded with many redundant firms (firms that in a free-market environment would probably go bankrupt and be phased out), and because these firms are overpopulated with workers, many of whom are ill-suited and have little passion for their work (though they do work hard, because they have literally no alternative, increasing their potential for misery, leading to high levels of alcoholism and suicide), most of these loans are non-performing. That is, the company doesn't right its ship, increase its performance, and make positive net earnings (and, incidentally, can't repay the loans), forcing the banks to make more and more loans.

It was under the weight of these non-performing loans that Japanese economic expansion collapsed, ending the miracle of the 80s and starting the twenty-year ongoing recession that plagues Japan to this day. This recession also increases the pressure on the government and keiretsu to keep as many people employed as possible, limiting options for restructuring (and evolution, much like how forest fires promote new growth) and contributing to the ongoing malaise. Because of this, the non-performing loans that caused the recession, in the first place, must continue.

However, because the economy hasn't expanded significantly since the recession began, capital becomes increasingly limited, as the government struggles to print enough money to keep the yen cheap relative to the dollar (and so keep exports competitive) while not printing so much that inflation spins out of control.

What this does, at the end of the day, is exacerbate the inherent cheapness in Japanese corporate culture.

I'm sure that sentence comes as a surprise to a generation raised on the quality Japanese products and entertainment of its economic heyday. However, because the Japanese marketplace is small, overcrowded, and has little incentive to spend, access to capital is limited. Those few companies that grow beyond the bounds of their home market, such as Sony or Toyota, are almost completely reliant on the American market to support themselves. In fact, it cannot be emphasized enough that their growth into the giants we know today is based entirely on their entry into and takeover of vast stretches of the American marketplace.

To give a more concrete example, let me ask a simple question: Why are American sci-fi and fantasy movies and television shows filmed in live-action, while their Japanese counterparts are animated? Putting aside notions of tradition or style, the simple answer is cost. American studios are simply more capable of getting the capital needed to realize new worlds with actors and sets, while Japanese studios simply are not.

Even a two-bit operation like Lucasfilm could get together the money to film the original Star Wars. Meanwhile, even after thirty years and a new wave of domestic popularity, Sunrise still can't finance a live-action Gundam (G-Saviour is the exception that proves the rule).

While I criticize Cihi for his behavior (even as I respect -- even envy -- the deftness by which he manipulates Silent Hill fans), that doesn't mean I'm excusing Konami behavior. Even though I don't excuse Konami behavior, that doesn't mean I don't understand why the Japanese branch behaves the way it does and takes every avenue to cut costs. Perhaps, if anyone reads this, they'll understand a little more, too.
bl00dmuffin
Just Passing Through

Post by bl00dmuffin »

I really don't care about the technicalities. I will say, however, that while I was playing Catherine I kept thinking the whole time that Vincent sounded like/reminded me of James in some weird way. Now I find out the actor will be playing James. It makes sense to me.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Guy may be a bad voice actor (not that he's really done much voice work), but he's our James. I don't know if James will seem the same with the new voice actor, but I'm super eager to see, especially since he's such a professional. James deserves a guy like him.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
Prinny
Just Passing Through

Post by Prinny »

wow, didn't expect so much pro-Baker and anti-Guy sentiments here.....you ingrates....did Konami pay you guys off for positive publicity? :?:

Konami has really been going downhill lately, and this VA replacement is obviously a lame attempt to circumvent paying royalties. Just another example of a once great game company gone bad. If this was the movie industry, this crap wouldn't fly, but because the video game industry is newer, the talent has less protection.

Baker's comments on Guy basically amounted to "I got your job, haha" and "that's the video game biz loser." The civil thing to do would have been to just shut up instead of putting the little man down.

And come on...I saw the VA comparison video...we all know the new dubs are BALLS....it's interesting how the same lines can be uttered, but convey COMPLETELY the wrong emotions....it saddens me the next generation of gamers is gonna think the Silent Hill 2 HD is the definitive version of SH2.

...ugh....I thought George Lucas' Star Wars blu-ray additions were bad enough...

P.S. Baker did the voice of Snow in FFXIII.....figures...I really hated that bastard, I couldn't go two seconds without wanting to punch this muther (at least Lightning did it for me). Troy Baker may be more famous than Guy....but Baker's performance as James is still balls. And also, without the direction of Team Silent....non-canon.

Original SH2 4 LIFE

&

adios you ungrateful sellouts....learn to respect the talent that made the games you love possible, not the mere name of the company funding the project.... :x
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Prinny wrote:wow, didn't expect so much pro-Baker and anti-Guy sentiments here.....you ingrates....did Konami pay you guys off for positive publicity? :?:
How about you break off of that shallow-shell of yours and realize that people have their own opinions? Not many people are Guy lovers, so don't act as if everyone with a different opinion than yours is an "ingrate", and calling others by derogatory names on this forum, or any forum on the matter, is frowned upon--maybe break off of the YouTube comments before taking part in this discussion, please.
Konami has really been going downhill lately, and this VA replacement is obviously a lame attempt to circumvent paying royalties. Just another example of a once great game company gone bad. If this was the movie industry, this crap wouldn't fly, but because the video game industry is newer, the talent has less protection.
This I agree with. It's obvious that the game industry and the actors that work in there are not as well-ensured as more "recognized" actors in movies and such with better protection agencies. I for one hope this changes in the future.
Baker's comments on Guy basically amounted to "I got your job, haha" and "that's the video game biz loser." The civil thing to do would have been to just shut up instead of putting the little man down.
Uhhh...I don't think so. Baker clearly did not show any sign of resentment or superiority to Guy on any level (that would cost him reputation, mind you), he was just trying to explain to others what Guy (in his, Troy's, view) wanted from Konami.
And come on...I saw the VA comparison video...we all know the new dubs are BALLS....it's interesting how the same lines can be uttered, but convey COMPLETELY the wrong emotions....it saddens me the next generation of gamers is gonna think the Silent Hill 2 HD is the definitive version of SH2.
Some people were saddened that Resident Evil PSone edition would ruin the original RE-scheme for the new fans getting into REmake. Where they right? No. Where they wrong? No. It depends on the fans. Still, there will be newer fans who enjoy the older voices more than the newer ones, as there will be newer fans who prefer the older voices more than the newer ones. It is up to opinion, and I'm sure Konami will include a "-Remastered and redone voice acting with new actors, conveying even more blahblahblah in the blanblahblah dreamy universe of Silent Hill." or something on the back of the HD Collection's box, displaying the newer features. If that is not done then there is obviously a problem with the box management team.
P.S. Baker did the voice of Snow in FFXIII.....figures...I really hated that bastard, I couldn't go two seconds without wanting to punch this muther (at least Lightning did it for me). Troy Baker may be more famous than Guy....but Baker's performance as James is still balls. And also, without the direction of Team Silent....non-canon.
Figures. Sounds your biased against Baker and the new voices in general from what you've heard of him from the past: that's the feeling I'm getting from reading your post.

And guess what? There was no Team Silent. And each of the original 4 SH games were only developed by around 3-5 of the original members from the past game(s) developed before. Does that make SH4 canon? Of course it does.

And redone voices does not add to the "canon"-arch of a game unless information is deliberately changed (example: Lisa Trevor and additional information added about her in REmake becomes canon even though it is a totally different team-developed game with different voice actors with the same basic plot)

Original SH2 4 LIFE

&

adios you ungrateful sellouts....learn to respect the talent that made the games you love possible, not the mere name of the company funding the project.... :x

Not meant to offend, but that was the major theme I got from reading your post.

And maybe instead of telling us to respect the series, you should respect other people and not post on a forum until you know that opinions different and your biased emotional appeal is not needed for this discussion.

~

Oh, and I don't like the new voices that much either, but an example of how one of Maria's lines is better goes as follows:

Original: I'm here for you, James
HD-Collection: I'm here for you, James

Notice the more, although subtle, way the HD Collection points to Maria being a manifestation, with just the simple emphasis on a word. I've studied acting in high school and part-time in college, and what I've learned is the way a word is emphasised changes the meaning completely. Notice how the original points that Maria is clearly there, while the HD-Collection points that Maria is here for James only (the pause between you and James with you emphasized)-pointing to her true roots more clearly.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Prinny wrote:wow, didn't expect so much pro-Baker and anti-Guy sentiments here.....you ingrates....did Konami pay you guys off for positive publicity? :?:
A gaming forum around a niche series is generating publicity through a thread with less than 1500 views?
Prinny wrote:Konami has really been going downhill lately, and this VA replacement is obviously a lame attempt to circumvent paying royalties. Just another example of a once great game company gone bad. If this was the movie industry, this crap wouldn't fly, but because the video game industry is newer, the talent has less protection.
I agree that the gaming industry is new and has lots of problems within. However, from the latest statements from Guy, and information from other people related with SH games, it doesn't seem to really be the case in this scenario. He was assuming that he would get compensation that was never explicitly spelled out. Also, you really think the movie industry is that innocent? I guarantee you that it is far more corrupt than anything we hear about from gaming industry news.
Prinny wrote:Baker's comments on Guy basically amounted to "I got your job, haha" and "that's the video game biz loser." The civil thing to do would have been to just shut up instead of putting the little man down.
What? Did we read the same OP? Clearly, Baker is a more experienced VA and he is giving his views/opinions from his own experience on the matter. Whether or not that is actually relevant, considering he was not present when the events surrounding the original recording transpired really depends, but he's not rubbing Guy's face in it that he's the new James. You really think he wanted to come out and start talking about all of these issues that really don't concern him? He's going to get asked regardless, so don't pin this on him taking a cheap shot on Guy.
Prinny wrote:it saddens me the next generation of gamers is gonna think the Silent Hill 2 HD is the definitive version of SH2.
I can't believe these kids are downloading the original Mario and Zelda games on their Wii and playing it with a WII MOTE. UGH. Don't they know that you need an NES controller?
And what's with all these MP3 players and the like? Don't they know that the only way to listen to music is on a record player! You don't get the same sounds without vinyl.
Don't even get me started on tube tvs and movie remakes! THEY BUTCHERED 3:10 TO YUMA.
Prinny wrote:Troy Baker may be more famous than Guy....but Baker's performance as James is still balls. And also, without the direction of Team Silent....non-canon.

Original SH2 4 LIFE
&
Oh, you were a troll. You got me! Haha, nice one.
Pardon me whilst I shine my giant cast-silver statue of the Konami logo.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>There was no Team Silent.<
Yes there was.

However, I do agree Prinny doesn't quite "get it" in regards to how the gaming industry works. I'm in the fortunate position to just not give a shit either way anymore. Guy's pissypantsparade turned me off to hearing him as James again, anyway, and of course everyone knows SILENT HILL 2 is my favorite. Him as James originally is fine. If I want to hear him again, I'll play that version. If I'm gonna get something new, I want something new.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
alone in the town

Prinny wrote:Konami has really been going downhill lately, and this VA replacement is obviously a lame attempt to circumvent paying royalties.
Yes, this this brilliant, as I'm certain Konami is not paying Troy Baker and his peers anything for their contributions to the remake.
RESPECT THE ORIGINAL VOICE ACTORS. BE A WHINY BITCH ON THE INTERNET.

NEVER FORGET.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

If this was about money, why get new, more competent voice actors that actually have good contracts, when they have no legal obligation to pay the original voice actors if they want to reuse their voices?

This isn't about money, and Prinny has demonstrated an absolute refusal to do even the most casual reading of the subject at hand. Way to be a tool.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

>There was no Team Silent.<
Yes there was.
Ditto.

The bottom line is that Konami should have done what was necessary to preserve the original voices. Period. They could've handled it, and spending the money wouldnt matter if they knew how to keep Silent Hill successful.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
alone in the town

Monster wrote:The bottom line is that Konami should have done what was necessary to preserve the original voices. Period.
What gets me is that the decision not to retain the original voices was clearly a business decision. That being said, why would it have been a better business decision to go with the old voice talent, done mostly by amateurs and of questionable quality (a fact which fans seem totally willing to ignore for nostalgia's sake), as opposed to hiring established and experienced talent, which will present a more professional and probably superior product to everybody who hasn't played the game before?

Most likely, the old voice talent would want the same money paid to the experienced voice talent. Given that, it seems like a no-brainer for the bottom line.