Your favorite ending and why.

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Your favorite?

Leave
41%
In Water
30%
Maria
7%
Rebirth
15%
UFO
No votes
DOG
8%

Total votes: 105

RivenZero
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Your favorite ending and why.

Post by RivenZero »

My favorite is the leave ending. It was comforting to know that both James and Laura got away safely. I really like the graveyard back drop as well.
Thanks again JuriDawn for the amazing avatar & sig!
Kompwars
Just Passing Through

Post by Kompwars »

My favorite was in water.

Yea I know, its the depressing ending. But I like sad endings :P
Patrick Bateman
Just Passing Through

Post by Patrick Bateman »

I chose "Leave." "Rebirth" is good in that it highlights James' madness and refusal to let go, but I don't see the positive side of it. Mary is dead and the dead don't come back to life. The gods of Silent Hill may be able to bring Mary back, whatever that actually means, but it's just too difficult for me to accept that as a positive. It's obvious in Mary's letter that she has made peace with her death and wants James to move on and live his life. Even when James is in the row boat during "Rebirth" he mentions how peaceful she looks.

That said, I think Rebirth is still a great ending, but I find it just as sad as "In Water" and "Maria." I don't prefer "Leave" because it was, in my opinion, the only happy ending, but because after watching Eddie and Angela succumb to their guilt and going through that much mental anguish, it was good to see James find it in himself to move on, just as Mary wanted him to.
lostmemories99
Just Passing Through

Post by lostmemories99 »

I chose In Water, because in that ending he fulfills his goal of taking his life in a place of memories. He also can finally be with Mary again, in the afterlife (assuming that there is an afterlife and that he goes to the same place as her).
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

QUOTE: He also can finally be with Mary again, in the afterlife (assuming that there is an afterlife and that he goes to the same place as her).

That's quite an assumption, especially in light of the warning in Bar Neely's.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Dr. Robotnik
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Oddish wrote:QUOTE: He also can finally be with Mary again, in the afterlife (assuming that there is an afterlife and that he goes to the same place as her).

That's quite an assumption, especially in light of the warning in Bar Neely's.
Not any bigger of an assumption than that the Maria ending might turn out okay. Every ending has the potential for good and bad, just like Ryantology has said.
Rafael
Just Passing Through

Post by Rafael »

i've just finished silent hill 2 for the first time (level: normal for puzzles and monsters) and i got in water ending....

james killed himself, that's what i would have done

btw i loved the game soooo much

i will play it again soon :D
AngelicBlood
Just Passing Through

Post by AngelicBlood »

I vote the DOG ending. Because yes. :D
SilentKnight
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentKnight »

meh lurked long enough.

I voted In Water because its the one that makes the most sence.

Even though it is the darkest one.IMO leave just annoys me to no end and the rest are just bleh.
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

Dog.

Because it's hilarious.

Hey, you asked for my "favorite," not the one I thought fit the most. :P
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I guess we have decided that the second game's UFO ending sucked. Which is fine, because it is certainly the dullest UFO ending in the series.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Honestly, I don't remember it, at all.

Yet I remember how to get it. Weird...
Piramit Kafa
Just Passing Through

Post by Piramit Kafa »

I love things to be straight so Leave is the one for me. All the other endings are either too depressing or vague. Maria is ok too but I know it won't last long. And about Rebirth... I wish it'd showed a bit more.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

The thing about 'In Water' that I hate is the fact that James has gone through this massive nightmare, even killed another person, fighting to stay alive... then he kills himself. It's like the kid's book 'A Story About Ping' or the movie 'A Few Good Men', stories of a character going through a massive ordeal... and accomplishing exactly NOTHING!
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Sometimes it's the journey that takes the stage rather than the end of it. In Water is not "accomplishing nothing" if you invested yourself into James' ordeals and see how he came to do what he did in In Water.
Though, like a few others, it doesn't flow very well into the narrative, but that's just what you get when you have multiple endings coming off of a linear story.

I really can't decide which is my favorite due to all of them fitting in one way or another, but I guess I would have to go with either Leave or Rebirth.
One is a decently satisfying conclusion to the story, and the other makes your imagination run wild and shows how far James will go to revive Mary and get his wife back, even if him collecting the items didn't make much sense throughout the game.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

I voted "Leave" because I'm a sucker for happy endings, especially when I've invested so much into the main character and their ordeal. I would like to think that, in the end, after the nightmarish journey that James endured, he could learn to cope with what he did and find some peace and live his life as Mary wanted him to. I mean, it still is kind of a sad ending when you think about it though not in the same sense as the others.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Yes, there's a definite bittersweetness to "Leave". I actually wrote "director's cut" versions of several of the endings that expanded on James's death in "In Water" and his encounter with Laura in "Leave"... even in the happiest of the lot, his grief remains. If love is red and loss is blue, grief is the purple they produce when mixed.
Just Passing Through

Post by 911 »

My favorite is the "Water" version, I think it fits the game really well. It feels like a natural ending to what James has been through. But the most interesting ending is the "Leave" ending because we have real answers.
The "Maria" ending is quite frutrating because you understand that he's staying in his ilusions and it's like not a real ending because nothing has changed from the beginning. I felt it was some kind of game other.

The Dog ending is so funny. I couldn't stop laughing.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

Dog ending is canon and explains everything better than the other endings do.

My favorite is In Water though. As said above, it suits the game perfectly. It just seems to be the most likely way for things to conclude. Other than the Dog ending of course.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Ryantology wrote:I guess we have decided that the second game's UFO ending sucked. Which is fine, because it is certainly the dullest UFO ending in the series.
It may not be exciting, but we got to see PS1 Harry arrive with aliens to take James away. That is AMAZING.