Emotionless James

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Re: Emotionless James

Post by SilentWren »

^But why would James being somewhat emotionless mean that he would off himself?
He was handling everything rather well, considering the emotional exhaustion he displayed in the opening bathroom scene.
I didn't think 2 HAD a canon ending.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

SilentWren wrote:^But why would James being somewhat emotionless mean that he would off himself?
He was handling everything rather well, considering the emotional exhaustion he displayed in the opening bathroom scene.
I didn't think 2 HAD a canon ending.
No one ending has been confirmed by Konami as being canon. If I remember correctly, someone from Konami said that all have an equal chance of being canon. It depends on the players interpretation of events or something. In Water could very easily be canon if someone wants to think of it as canon. Also, James was delusional in the bathroom at the start, so he clearly wasn't handling the truth well at all. Just because he seemed to be alright then doesn't mean he was handling things well between defeating Maria and the In Water scene (just thought I'd add, I don't like the In Water ending, but I can understand how someone might think of it as canon).
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

To be technically accurate, anyone can like whichever ending they consider most appropriate, but canon is canon. Either something is, or is not. Silent Hill 2 does not have a canon ending.

That being said, adherents of the In Water ending have the peculiar tendency to ignore this fact and insist that this ending is canon.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^We can rule out "leave" entirely though, because it implied that he, um 'left' and 4 broke that. So, that makes one of the endings even LESS canon.
Why the fuck do people think 2 has a canon ending? What? "Rebith" was too psychological for them?
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Xev

Post by Xev »

Im going to mention James with the chainsaw again today. You cant deny the emotion of James when you make him stand for a few minutes.

Seriously, I thought his character displayed a perfect void. He seems to be missing something which is his mind at the time: that can make one strangely callous and at first glance apathetic, listless. You can hear the sadness.
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

SilentWren wrote:^We can rule out "leave" entirely though, because it implied that he, um 'left' and 4 broke that. So, that makes one of the endings even LESS canon.
Why the fuck do people think 2 has a canon ending? What? "Rebith" was too psychological for them?
How did 4 Break the Leave ending? Because he is still missing? Maybe he took a different name or traveled overseas or something. After what he did that isn't a stretch. Also I doubt Frank and James had the best of relationships for some reason, so even if James waltzed on home he might not even call his dad.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Yeah, to be honest I don't think there's anything 4 could've done to break any of my opinions or ideas on 2.

I like the Leave ending the best. I do agree that the idea of Laura forgiving James seems a little too perfect perhaps after she screamed at him, but the way Mary forgives James is done perfectly in my opinion.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

James is a very emotional character, the way he forgets about his own safety just to find Mary, no matter what is already one huge emotion.

Gotta say, Issac from dead space lacked emotion.. He really lacked a voice actor..
I still love dead space though.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Ok, fine.

But you still have to explain WHY the leave ending IS canon.
We haven't heard anything at all about Laura in any of the future games.

Jesus, this is like that Cybil thing all over again.

alone in the town

No, it isn't, because nobody's insisting that it is canon.

Using that infamous line about James and Mary disappearing to justify or rule out any ending in Silent Hill 2 is something often tried (as usual, In Water adherents are the most common offenders), but it only states that they disappeared, and disappeared ≠ dead.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^I agree with you, but I think you're taking things too literally.
It's not real life, it's a game. They put little nods in there for a reason, not to confuse us further.

alone in the town

How am I taking things too literally? All four scenarios can reasonably result in James disappearing. The Leave ending is not an exemption.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I had always assumed that things like that in games were there for a reason, in this case, to imply that he left Silent Hill.
I supposed chances are equally good that he had to lead a sketchy life to avoid the whole going to prison for murder thing, but I never thought it out that far before.

It's not like it's even going to matter-I doubt they'd include Laura or James in any future games. *is sad*

alone in the town

I wouldn't want them to appear in future games. Nor do I ever want any endings confirmed or denied for certain--even if it meant that the ending I like best was made out to be the canon ending. Part of what makes Silent Hill 2 special is the complete ambiguity of its outcome.
MartinStatic
Just Passing Through

Post by MartinStatic »

An ending will probably be chosen and announced as canon only if and when some sort of spin-off or sequel goes into development. Until then it's untouched and I think it's best that way.

Imagine coming up with an amazing concept and setting for a sequel (I mean a direct sequel that is, not SH3 or anything) which can't be used because an incompatible ending was declared canon.

Keeping more on topic however, I think James' detachment from a lot of physically horrific things is due to straight up depression. When you're depressed, some things get to you and some don't, it's different with different people and situations.
alone in the town

I seriously doubt any future Silent Hill game will ever canonize any single ending from the second game. Imagine the uproar from the fanbase--especially since "Team Silent" would not be involved.
MartinStatic
Just Passing Through

Post by MartinStatic »

Personally I think they've already shit all over the fanbase and Team Silent by including 'Silent Hill' in the title of Homecoming.

Nonetheless, I think that a spin off could canonize an ending, but said spin off so very unlikely it wasn't really necessary for me to even suggest it. :P
Last edited by MartinStatic on 05 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.
alone in the town

The thing is, it's easy to ignore Homecoming. It's not really tied tightly to other games.

btw: we're all adults here, and we can fucking curse here without penalty.
MartinStatic
Just Passing Through

Post by MartinStatic »

Fair enough! Sick of forums acting like they're a public library with shit like that. :)
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

I think being in Silent Hill puts one in a dreamlike state, to where they're scared, but not running around screaming like Nicolas Cage in The Wicker Man remake

I mean we don't know how a real human being would realistically react in a situation like this, perhaps a part of the mind "shuts down" so that they can deal with the task at hand (surviving and finding Mary for example) and they wouldn't dwell on the creepiness around them