IGN Names Silent Hill 2 As One Of The Best PS2 Games Ever

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

SPRINGS02
Historical Society Historian
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Re: IGN Names Silent Hill 2 As One Of The Best PS2 Games Eve

Post by SPRINGS02 »

While it's true that popularity doesn't equal quality, i say video games are a little different in that regard. People buy games because they enjoy them or because they look fun. So while i'm not a huge fan of halo i can admit it's kind of fun. Put it this way there will never be a game that sells a lot of copies that is just plain horrible. Now that's not to say that if a game doesn't sell a lot it's a bad game, there are plenty of games like that too. Also some of the games considered classic were nothing more than mindless entertainment(sonic, and mario) there's nothing wrong with that.

Also reviewers of games get more credibility because im pretty sure they went to some kind of journalism school or something, reviewed a lot of things before they were able to be in the position they are in now. They aren't perfect, and their words aren't law, but i still say it's something to take into consideration.

Oh yeah twilight is in a different field than games so it's not really a good example to use.
Julius
Just Passing Through

Post by Julius »

SPRINGS02 wrote:While it's true that popularity doesn't equal quality, i say video games are a little different in that regard. People buy games because they enjoy them or because they look fun. So while i'm not a huge fan of halo i can admit it's kind of fun. Put it this way there will never be a game that sells a lot of copies that is just plain horrible. Now that's not to say that if a game doesn't sell a lot it's a bad game, there are plenty of games like that too. Also some of the games considered classic were nothing more than mindless entertainment(sonic, and mario) there's nothing wrong with that.

Also reviewers of games get more credibility because im pretty sure they went to some kind of journalism school or something, reviewed a lot of things before they were able to be in the position they are in now. They aren't perfect, and their words aren't law, but i still say it's something to take into consideration.

Oh yeah twilight is in a different field than games so it's not really a good example to use.
But enjoying a game doesn't make the overall game good from a technical standpoint, I think that's the point trying to be made. It does not make it automatically bad as well.
It's a lose/lose situation for a debate anyway since either way you look it at it comes down to how personally you feel about it, and you can't prove anyone right or wrong for liking or disliking something (which is also a statement about the whole "game reviewing" theme going on in this thread). But anyway, point is that popularity does not = good, and since it seems we're all in agreement with that, I'll stop saying it already.

Also some of the games considered classic were nothing more than mindless entertainment(sonic, and mario) there's nothing wrong with that
No one said it was right or wrong though, I don't think so anyway.

"Oh yeah twilight is in a different field than games so it's not really a good example to use"
Oh c'mon he was kidding around. Although, I am totally in agreement with him with Twilight and the other items of pop-media that he mentioned. :) Another reason why that sentence I mentioned is funny to me.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

SPRINGS02 wrote: Oh yeah twilight is in a different field than games so it's not really a good example to use.
Gee, sorry. They made a general statement so I gave a random answer. I hope boy bands fit in with the game genre.
Will any of the EA Sports games, guitar hero/rock band, or ubisoft ____z series work?

Also, I applaud the pick of Shadow of the Colossus as #1.
I should take the time to see if killer7 or godhand made their list but then again...
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^ To an extent some there are games that sell well that aren't the best games ever, im just saying it's not nearly as bad as other things like twilight or boy bands. I'm not a fan of EA sports as a whole, but i do enjoy their fight night games, they make the only decent boxing games. EA is a greedy company but they aren't too bad with sports games.(i've heard madden is declining in quality though) Also the guitar hero/rockband games aren't the best games and are not groundbreaking, but they're still fun. It's not like they're horrible(like twilight or most boy bands) they're just simple fun.(i'm not a huge fan of em' though just think they're kind of decent.)
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Does IGN even have a rating for storyline, other factors than their oh-so-important Graphics? I checked their Calling review and they gave the game a 3.5 when it has to be one of my favorite survival horrors of all time.

And yes. I get that SH2 is not the best game every. Thank you for killing my dreams *bursts into tears*
ss4gogeta0
Just Passing Through

Post by ss4gogeta0 »

yet i have not seen Resi outbreak on that list.... *breaks down into tears* WHYYYYYYYYYY!!!
"Must one Born from Adam, Return to Adam?" - Kaowru Nagisa
"Come Adam's Dark Shadow, Searvent of the Lillim"- Kaowru Nagisa
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

simeonalo wrote:And yes. I get that SH2 is not the best game every. Thank you for killing my dreams *bursts into tears*
You're welcome, it's what i do*laughs evilly* :twisted:

Also IGN definitely rates on more than graphics, i don't get why a lot of people hate them so much. I mean they gave shattered memories a pretty good rating and it's graphics weren't the best(they rated it higher than i would of)
People seem upset because some obscure games that they enjoy didn't get a 10 out of 10. I don't remember the calling being praised as an amazing game. Just because you enjoy that doesn't mean it's great. I mean i enjoyed the frogger remake for ps1, but i could understand how some people can hate it.
shaka
Just Passing Through

Post by shaka »

This is one of the best games for PS2, but PS2 has so many good games, it's impossible to make a top top 10 list.
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e359/shaka-de-virgo/fgfgfggf5dq.jpg[/img]
Verslie
Just Passing Through

Post by Verslie »

From the point of view of a reviewer, they should not be taking into account how popular a game is.
What many reviewers seem to do is base their review on only a few aspects of a game, like simeonalo said, it doesn't seem like they really care about storylines at all in many cases. Or they'll use dreaded "fun factor" where they rate a game because THEY or the majority of people think it's fun. Just because a lot of people think it's fun does not equate to being a good game. A lot of people love Halo, I can see quite a few people in this thread don't like Halo. But what I also notice is that they don't totally dismiss the game just because they don't think it's fun. A lot of reviewers don't do this, if they don't enjoy something then they will give it an awful rating based on that.

In the end, people just don't seperate personal opinion and professional evaluation. What is awful to you, might be amazing to someone else, but that's totally irrelevant to the quality of a game. Quality can usually be judged much easier, if you look at a game as if you were a robot, weighing up and evaluating all of it's features, you can tell whether it's "good" or not. Reviewers don't do that, they give their opinion, so I tend to ignore review sites because my opinion will quite clearly differ from theirs. They all say Guitar Hero is amazing, does that mean I'm going to enjoy it? Hell no. If they wrote like a robot and told me exactly what it's features were without presenting their opinion, then maybe I could take them seriously. But of course writing in that way doesn't interest people, so they'd never get any attention. As a result, it's just a huge fest of neckbeards throwing their personal opinion around and writing these 'lists' as if they're somehow qualified to have an opinion on a higher level to the opinion of others.

It's no different to music awards, it's Lady Gaga and Green Day and all those other popular artists winning every single award despite making generic, unimaginative music that hasn't done anything new or creative at all. Just because a lot of people like something doesn't mean it deserves an award and critical acclaim. GTA is the Lady Gaga of the video gaming world.
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^ I don't think so. For one IGN does rate on story, shattered memories and silent hill 2 got pretty good ratings, to say IGN doesn't rate story is kind of crazy, sounds like you guys are biased against IGN. Also why would a game get a good rating if it's not enjoyable? That makes no sense.
Silent hill 2 got a good rating because people ENJOYED the story. No matter how you try to spin it, enjoyment is the main factor of games. I still say that its good to take their opinion into consideration because they probably had to go to school to become reviewers. So they have a little more credibility than a lot of people. It's not like it's just random people off the street.

I really disagree with you about fun factor, do you honestly think fun factor doesn't matter in video games? I know you said that story is important, but think about this. There was a time long ago when games didn't have complex stories and had to rely on making fun and exciting gameplay. Since fun factor doesn't matter and story is more important, would that make the old games like mario, sonic, and pacman bad?

I agree with you about Gaga's music, but GTA is not the Lady Gaga of the gaming world. Think about this, how do you think it got that popular? It didn't start off that way, but more and more people played it and enjoyed it. GTA has fun gameplay, and interesting story. It's a great sandbox games, and you can tell they put a lot of attention to detail into GTA4.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Verslie wrote:Or they'll use dreaded "fun factor" where they rate a game because THEY or the majority of people think it's fun. Just because a lot of people think it's fun does not equate to being a good game.
Why would people want to play a game that would be fun? Craziness. : P

Not to stray too far from topic, but I remember people were really mad because Gamestop's official magazine (game informer?) gave Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door a really low score (I think it was 5.75) just because they said they viewed it as more of a game that kids would like and not the demographic that read their magazine.

Whee, Silent Hill 2! Did any other silent hill or survival horror titles make the list? I would assume RE4 did, but everyone knows the gamecube version is better.
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^Fatal frame made the list, and so did RE4. Oh yeah paper mario the thousand year door was a great game! IGN actually gave it a pretty good rating.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Number 54, hmmm? Not bad!

Does anybody know which final fantasies made this list? If you happen across one, let me know. I'm curious.

But, as far as I'm concerned (from what little I saw of the rest of the rest of the list) it should have been in the top 30s.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^Final fantasy 10 made the list, i think it was around like 30 or 20. I was surprised that kingdom hearts was way higher on the list than ffx(kingdom hearts was in the top 10 i think.) I always thought that while kingdom hearts was a great game, it wasn't considered as good as final fantasy x.
Julius
Just Passing Through

Post by Julius »

SPRINGS02 wrote:^Final fantasy 10 made the list, i think it was around like 30 or 20. I was surprised that kingdom hearts was way higher on the list than ffx(kingdom hearts was in the top 10 i think.) I always thought that while kingdom hearts was a great game, it wasn't considered as good as final fantasy x.

Yeah, FFX is #24 and Kingdom Hearts #7 I think, not exactly where I'd put either game honestly. I would put KH2 higher than both games though, even though it's at #73 in that list. Final Fantasy XII is at #79 which to me is just wrong. :) I don't know why so many people underrate that game. Also, it's weird to me that SH2 is the only Silent Hill game on that list.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Any list that puts X higher than XII is a fail.

X was a painfully awkward game.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I really disagree with you about fun factor, do you honestly think fun factor doesn't matter in video games? I know you said that story is important, but think about this. There was a time long ago when games didn't have complex stories and had to rely on making fun and exciting gameplay. Since fun factor doesn't matter and story is more important, would that make the old games like mario, sonic, and pacman bad?
Hell no, these games won't look bad at all. I quoted this post because everything you said is true.

Games are meant to be played since day 1. If you want to "feel" an amazing story then go read a book.
Verslie
Just Passing Through

Post by Verslie »

Typographenia wrote:
Verslie wrote:Or they'll use dreaded "fun factor" where they rate a game because THEY or the majority of people think it's fun. Just because a lot of people think it's fun does not equate to being a good game.
Why would people want to play a game that would be fun? Craziness. : P
The point is, what others may find fun will not be fun for everyone. Guitar Hero and GTA are prime examples.
I find Halo fun, does that mean I think it's the god-tier game that reviewers say it is? No. It's a matter of opinion, which is the whole point of my post.
I used storyline just as an example, I don't think that a game should be solely based around a good plot. I've actually made a post here before saying that is a bad thing to do. It's just one of the many aspects that can make a really good game.
Julius
Just Passing Through

Post by Julius »

Droo wrote:Any list that puts X higher than XII is a fail.

X was a painfully awkward game.
I have to agree, XII was so much more better in nearly every way I can think of EXCEPT the music department. I believe multiple artists came in for X, and they all did a very good job with that.
And what I found most awkward about X was...Tidus...goddamn, Tidus. I have to stop before I go on a rant, heh.
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

I' m not sure that Vaan' s better ! ^^'
Auron and Balthier rock ! I liked both OST. Although XII wasn' t Sakimoto' s best work it gave a nice Ivalice feeling.