Something Ironic I Noticed... (spoilers)

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Something Ironic I Noticed... (spoilers)

Post by simeonalo »

Sorry if this has been discussed. Searched and looked, found nothing.

Something very funny is that Eddie killed one of his creatures (not a monster, but more of a manifested man laughing at him) a short time before meeting James in the apartments, near the beginning of the game. Eddie attempted to hide the man by stuffing him into a freezer/refrigerator in an attempt to hide the body.

Then, near the end of the game, James kills Eddie. Eddie dies in a freezer/refrigerator, his alternate world, much like the man Eddie killed, making the man's death a foreshadowing much like James discovering a body watching a video tape.

So there you have it. Something I noticed.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Old news. I think I mentioned it specifically in my topic, "Silent Hill, according to Angela." If not there, definitely elsewhere, and often.

The point is Eddie's first victim is thin, a manifestation of what Eddie wanted for himself. He killed the last bit of his humanity, his hope.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
NurseZK
Just Passing Through

Post by NurseZK »

Aww, but nice try though. :3
If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?
Lynch

Post by Lynch »

Wow...im surprised how good this game is planned...
SilentMunstah
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentMunstah »

actually thats not a good definition of irony. its a coincidence that eddie dies in the freezer.

What would be ironic is that the guy eddie killed, came back to life and killed eddie and stuffed him in a refrigerator. thats a real example of irony.
james mind was here
its gone now
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

....Er, no. That'd just be silly. You don't seem to understand why the original poster's statement is regarded as ironic.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

SilentMunstah wrote:actually thats not a good definition of irony. its a coincidence that eddie dies in the freezer.

What would be ironic is that the guy eddie killed, came back to life and killed eddie and stuffed him in a refrigerator. thats a real example of irony.
I repeat, the age filter on this site does bloody nooothing.
Your weaboo is showing
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

SilentMunstah wrote:actually thats not a good definition of irony. its a coincidence that eddie dies in the freezer.

This is silent hill... there is no coincidence
SHF

Post by SHF »

its a foreshadowing.
Like angelas pants are a deep red. They look like blood.
Irony is if a guy wins the lottry, and, dies in a plane crash the very next day.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Kind of, though the true definition of irony runs a little differently. The definition of irony is that the printed or spoken word's meaning is the opposite of it's intended message. So basically, sarcasm (i.e.: "My aren't YOU the genius?" coming after a blatantly obvious statement, meaning that it didn't take much intelligence at all to figure it out).

An alternate definition is when something unexpectedly contradictory to the normal flow of events happens (this definition was added largely due to most people misinterpreting what the original definition was to keep the general public from looking like idiots). Ironic, sardonic, satirical, all are the same. Irony in the case of Eddie would be if he suddenly stopped fighting James and turned the pistol on himself.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
Mr. Domino
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. Domino »

You're all wrong. Irony is simply the opposite of wrinkly.
I'm not a self-righteous, egotistical, arrogant bastard - but I play one on the internet!
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

helldescent wrote:its a foreshadowing.
Irony is if a guy wins the lottry, and, dies in a plane crash the very next day.
No, that's just shit luck. Don't let the Alanis Morrisette song fool you.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
LSSJGamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by LSSJGamer »

Not really as Krist said. Real irony is winning the lottery and you are allergic to money.... now that is some irony.

I do see what is ironic about Eddies death. I mean he killed a guy and threw him into a refrigerator. Now that guy gets the last laugh as Ediie is killed in a freezer, which is colder than a refrigerator. Dead Guy 1 / Eddie 0.
*Insert Legendary signature here*
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

"Finding some shoes and losing your feet. Finding some food and losing your teeth. Powerless."
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

I think it's amusing (not ironic) that this topic has essentially become a discourse on the meaning of the word "irony," and it's especially amusing (not ironic) that most of the people who've corrected someone else and defined it here are also wrong.

Informative!

Learntastic!
Edea
Just Passing Through

Post by Edea »

Though I think the fridge guy might be the football player he mentioned to James, at least there are a lot of football posters in his room past where Eddie is throwing up.
Image"Lowlifes... Shameless filthy wretches. How you celebrate my ascension with such joy. Hailing the very one you've condemned for generations. Have you no shame? What happened to the evil, ruthless sorceress from your fantasies? The cold-blooded tyrant that slaughtered countless men and destroyed many nations? Where is she now?"
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

The Adversary wrote:"Finding some shoes and losing your feet. Finding some food and losing your teeth. Powerless."
"Killing some football player and shoving him into a refrigerator. Being killed by some guy and being shoved into a refrigerator."

And yes, this is just getting..really bland, lol. It's just something I noticed, I don't think we have to go into literary discussion to further this discussion even more.
SHF

Post by SHF »

The football posters are memories that eddie has been running from.
The town materializes emotions and fears into reality.
The dead guy in the refridgerator symbolizes how eddie feels about himself ( his wieght). and yes, it foreshadows his ironic fate.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Something Ironic I Noticed... (spoilers)

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Hmmm...I feel stupid. I've played the game numerous times and never noticed the irony. Damn. Love the planning of the game. Loved Eddie too....
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
SHF

Re:

Post by SHF »

Mis Krist. wrote:
No, that's just shit luck. Don't let the Alanis Morrisette song fool you.
glad you picked up on that lil morissette lyrical passage. 8)