Mary's Disease Model

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Really? I thought it was kinda sexy...
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

Shadow Dragon wrote:
Axel_98 wrote:So if we can rule out leprosy because it is curable... Then what does Mary have?

Facial Syphilis ?
It's generic disfiguring disease #3. :P
Yeah, I don't think we're supposed to know what it is.

I do find it interesting that it's only on her head and neck though. A few more pics (click for larger):

Promo art pics

ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

That just made this game 10x sadder for me. :cry:
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

...or 10x more disgusting-er.
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

I think we should narrow this "disease" down since we now have new evidence :D

So what are our options?
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

Axel_98 wrote:I think we should narrow this "disease" down since we now have new evidence :D

So what are our options?
Where is the new evidence? The promo art clearly showed the skin ans has been around for many years (Art of Silent Hill DVD), and though there aren't any real closeups in the game, it's still pretty hard to say. Leprosy and syphilis are treatable, especially if you've had it that bad for three years. I think it's safe to say it's neither of those.

I don't think it's a real disease, and I don't think we're supposed to know. If we were supposed to know, I think the game would have told us.
ImageImage
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I still think it's lupus.

Which sucks b/c a girl I know fairly well has it. She had a rough outbreak last year—wouldn't let anyone see her.

And do we really need three threads devoted to this topic. . . ?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Shadow Dragon
Just Passing Through

Post by Shadow Dragon »

nur_ein_tier wrote:
Shadow Dragon wrote:
Axel_98 wrote:So if we can rule out leprosy because it is curable... Then what does Mary have?

Facial Syphilis ?
It's generic disfiguring disease #3. :P
Yeah, I don't think we're supposed to know what it is.

I do find it interesting that it's only on her head and neck though. A few more pics (click for larger):
We can't say that for sure. All those pics prove is that it hasn't affected the skin on her hands and feet. Though it could have messed up her back, chest and stomache as wel as the head and neck.
"They look like monsters to you?"
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

Shadow Dragon wrote: We can't say that for sure. All those pics prove is that it hasn't affected the skin on her hands and feet. Though it could have messed up her back, chest and stomache as wel as the head and neck.
Except that it's a video game, and video games tend to show us these things, if these things are relevant. I mean that the developers purposely made it disfigure her face.
MMY wrote:I still think it's lupus.

Which sucks b/c a girl I know fairly well has it. She had a rough outbreak last year—wouldn't let anyone see her.

And do we really need three threads devoted to this topic. . . ?
I have it and have done the same. While I see why you'd think so, I don't think it is, only because if they wanted us to know, I think they would have told us.

It's like when people expect Pyramid Head to actually have something under his helmet, in the model files. He doesn't. They only model the parts they want us to see. And if they don't show us something, we probably aren't supposed to see it.

And no, we probably don't need multiple threads about it.

There is some more detailed discussion in this thread:
http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20166

and also here:
http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11948
ImageImage
spunkytexan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by spunkytexan »

I have always thought it was the town that did it. Both to mary and Mrs Mason.
Now the dream of this life must end, and so, too, must the dreamers within it.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>if they wanted us to know, I think they would have told us.
You mean like how if the developers wanted us to think Angela was sexually abused they would have told us, like, nine years ago? or how if Mary was hospitalized at Brookhaven Hospital they would have told us?

I disagree w/ that asseveration. While we can't know for sure what Mary suffered from, we can hypothesize based on her symptoms—just as we do w/ her hospitalization and Angela's abuse.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

Sure her face might look like complete hell and her hair's falling out, but those are some gorgeous eyelashes.

You go girl. Bat them lashes.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Axel_98 wrote:I think we should narrow this "disease" down since we now have new evidence :D

So what are our options?
It's not really new evidence, as it has been in the disc for around...9 years.
valiturus

Post by valiturus »

Eric-3 wrote:Kinda looks like leprosy to me (purely visually, I mean). I'm sure there'd be something even closer to it than that, but I don't know much about diseases at all.

There are a few more pictures here.
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/dvd_a ... ion_en.htm
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/dvd_l ... res_en.htm
Yes, it does look like leprosy to me. Besides, James referred to it simply as: "that damn disease", so it could have been anything.
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

Kerrigan wrote:Sure her face might look like complete hell and her hair's falling out, but those are some gorgeous eyelashes.

You go girl. Bat them lashes.
Gosh, you just made me LOL like an idiot...
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

MMY wrote:>if they wanted us to know, I think they would have told us.
You mean like how if the developers wanted us to think Angela was sexually abused they would have told us, like, nine years ago? or how if Mary was hospitalized at Brookhaven Hospital they would have told us?

I disagree w/ that asseveration. While we can't know for sure what Mary suffered from, we can hypothesize based on her symptoms—just as we do w/ her hospitalization and Angela's abuse.
Maybe not in general, regarding everything in the game, but I just think with something like that they'd tell us. I think it helps the storyline to make it more mysterious. It helps the player to focus less on "Gee whiz! Leprosy SUCKS!" than to think about how being sick has affected James and Mary's relationship. I think they were inspired by real diseases, but didn't name them for a reason.

Angela being abused is less important to the main storyline, and same with where Mary was hospitalized.
ImageImage
Eric-3
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Eric-3 »

nur_ein_tier wrote:
MMY wrote:>if they wanted us to know, I think they would have told us.

Maybe not in general, regarding everything in the game, but I just think with something like that they'd tell us. I think it helps the storyline to make it more mysterious. It helps the player to focus less on "Gee whiz! Leprosy SUCKS!" than to think about how being sick has affected James and Mary's relationship.
I agree with that idea.

I think I'd be kinda surprised if they intended this to be a real disease (regardless of whether or not they ever had any intention of telling the player what it was). Real in the sense that they specifically picked an actual disease to use.

What's important isn't WHAT the disease is. It's what the disease did. I don't think it would add to the story to know what the disease was, so they probably didn't bother saying what it was.
SpaceProg
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SpaceProg »

It's not lupus [/House]
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Poor Mary, that pic makes me understand the hard dilemma that James had... I mean, to see your loved one to deteriorate in that way... Damn; he still loving her but her appearance, her mistreat, his repressed feelings... The desire of just ran away but your love and responsibility forcing you to stay there besides her bad words...

Man... If I would be in james't position... I would end in the bottom of Toluca Lake... Poor Mr. and Mrs. Sunderland...
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Mary's Disease Model

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Every time I see this picture I always have mixed emotions. I want to laugh (I know that's terrible), cry, and am scared at the same time. God, that would suck to be her. I really want to know what she had.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.