Mary's Disease Model

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

B5160-R
Historical Society Historian

Re: Mary's Disease Model

Post by B5160-R »

Mumbler wrote:I can't remember where, but I read a big long something about her disease being a(n existing) form of tuberculosis that causes body-wide skin lesions, and is immune to most treatments for TB.

Anybody know what I'm talking about? I remember it made a lot of sense to me at the time.
I think someone posted a topic here a while back, that presented a theory on it being tuberculosis.

Anyway, when discussing Marys disease, I think it's worthwhile to mention the memorial thing in the park:

In memory of the sixty seven
who died of illness and now sleep
beneath the lake.
[ Un-Space Exploration - UE photo blog ]
Mumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by Mumbler »

B5160-R wrote:Anyway, when discussing Marys disease, I think it's worthwhile to mention the memorial thing in the park:

In memory of the sixty seven
who died of illness and now sleep
beneath the lake.
Oh woah! Is it possible that she could've contracted the disease in Silent Hill?! Maybe a strain of the epidemic that killed off so many of the townspeople years ago survived. oxo; That would be ironic.
lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

All these people saying they nearly vomited seeing that pic... boy, am I jaded. I'd be tempted to say it's some severe case of melanoma, based on the welts in the picture, as well as the fatality of the disease and the purported nausea and pain. But then, MD PENDING.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Mumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by Mumbler »

lain of the wired wrote:All these people saying they nearly vomited seeing that pic... boy, am I jaded. I'd be tempted to say it's some severe case of melanoma, based on the welts in the picture, as well as the fatality of the disease and the purported nausea and pain. But then, MD PENDING.
Would that explain the coughing? ono It was a pretty important symptom.
Sheogorath
Just Passing Through

Post by Sheogorath »

IMO, Mary had lung cancer that metastasised to her brain, and that the therapy she received was responsible for the damage to her skin. It's well known that chemotherapy and radiotherapy both target rapidly growing cells, and skin, hair, and nails are all made of keratin, a rapidly growing cell.