Laura simply isn't real. My theory. (Spoilers)

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

The_Stickman
Just Passing Through

Laura simply isn't real. My theory. (Spoilers)

Post by The_Stickman »

I believe Laura is simply a memory. An occasion arises in which she says "I was friends with Mary... We met at the hospital. It was last year..." In which James yells at her claiming she is lying. Next to the fact that Mary died long before that, James doesn't seem to recognize her. For a husband that had a sick wife I am pretty sure he would have visited her. Laura was supposedly a friend she had met there, meaning James was bound to have been there for James to meet.

This is my thinking...
Durring the final years(s) Mary was alive she began to talk to herself. Being alone and without visits after her disfiguring transformation had taken its toll. She began to speak to a little girl named "Laura" to keep her company.

We all know Alessa's memories manifested into reality in the original Silent Hill, so why can't Marys? Laura is simply a piece of the memory placed in Silent Hill. In all honesty, how was Laura supposed to make it to Silent Hill? She had no ride, she never lived here...my thinking is, she was there from the start.

As I said, this is all in theory.
[size=42][i]"...more specifically, the creatures manifested of ones
mind could become physical via mental stress and
the deterioration of ones perspective of reality...
...Poltergeists are among these.
Negative emotions, like fear, worry, or stress manifest
Into external energy with physical effects.
Nightmares have, in some cases, been shown to trigger
Them. However one such phenomena doesn't appear
To happen to just anyone. Although it's
Not clear why, adolescents, especially girls,
Are prone to such occurrences. [/i][/size]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>how was Laura supposed to make it to Silent Hill?
The same way Walter Sullivan managed to get to Silent Hill when he was six. He managed just fine for years, alone.

>Next to the fact that Mary died long before that
Mary has only been deceased for a day--two at the most.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
The_Stickman
Just Passing Through

Post by The_Stickman »

the Adversary wrote:>how was Laura supposed to make it to Silent Hill?
The same way Walter Sullivan managed to get to Silent Hill when he was six. He managed just fine for years, alone.
I don't know...Walter and Laura using the same methods? They are in no way simmilar. But I don't know.
the Adversary wrote:>Next to the fact that Mary died long before that
Mary has only been deceased for a day--two at the most.
What exactly do you mean by that? She came back from the dead, is this what your implying?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Walter and Laura using the same methods?
Yeah. A train.

>She came back from the dead
After the game ends, yes, I do believe that. But in the context of your theory, no: Mary died a day before the game begins. She didn't die three years ago; Laura says so herself: We met at the hospital. It was last year.

Along with that, James comes to the conclusion himself at Lakeview Hotel: He asks how old Laura is, and she responds with having just turned eight last week. In the letter James has just received, Mary has written "Happy 8th Birthday." James concludes, just as the player should: Then... Mary couldn't have died three years ago.

Why would a hospitalized woman, who--according to this theory--died three years ago, write "Happy 8th Birthday" if the girl she's well-wishing just turned eight a week ago? Laura would've been five when Mary passed away, and that's just risible--to wish someone a birthday three years in advance...
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
The_Stickman
Just Passing Through

Post by The_Stickman »

the Adversary wrote:>Walter and Laura using the same methods?
Yeah. A train.
Thats a little sketchy, I am sure Walter didnt exactly say "please" and got let on the train, Perhaps if the plot got detailed enough it would explain more. But who knows...

>She came back from the dead
After the game ends, yes, I do believe that. But in the context of your theory, no: Mary died a day before the game begins. She didn't die three years ago; Laura says so herself: We met at the hospital. It was last year.

Along with that, James comes to the conclusion himself at Lakeview Hotel: He asks how old Laura is, and she responds with having just turned eight last week. In the letter James has just received, Mary has written "Happy 8th Birthday." James concludes, just as the player should: Then... Mary couldn't have died three years ago.

Why would a hospitalized woman, who--according to this theory--died three years ago, write "Happy 8th Birthday" if the girl she's well-wishing just turned eight a week ago? Laura would've been five when Mary passed away, and that's just risible--to wish someone a birthday three years in advance...
That final paragraph can be answered with my theory. If Laura is trully a memory then she wouldnt remember anything more than what Mary would remember. Meaning, she simply appeared in Silent Hill with the thinking that it was probably the next day, when in fact, Mary had been long dead years before.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Personally, I think Mary's been dead for three days. James deludes himself into thinking it's three years, but I say three days makes more sense. Three days at the most.

I don't think Laura is real either, but I have my own theory of just who/what she is. I'll post it soon.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The_Stickman
Just Passing Through

Post by The_Stickman »

Drewfus wrote:Personally, I think Mary's been dead for three days. James deludes himself into thinking it's three years, but I say three days makes more sense. Three days at the most.

I don't think Laura is real either, but I have my own theory of just who/what she is. I'll post it soon.
I can't wait to hear it.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Thats a little sketchy
That's a little fact from Silent Hill 4: The Room. Suggesting it's impossible for Laura to get in a train because you think it's "sketchy" is negated simply because Walter has proven it is possible.

>Mary had been long dead years before.
That wouldn't explain the letters, and how they were written within the past week.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
The_Stickman
Just Passing Through

Post by The_Stickman »

the Adversary wrote:>Thats a little sketchy
That's a little fact from Silent Hill 4: The Room. Suggesting it's impossible for Laura to get in a train because you think it's "sketchy" is negated simply because Walter has proven it is possible.

>Mary had been long dead years before.
That wouldn't explain the letters, and how they were written within the past week.
I was not suggesting it was impossible Adversary, I was simply stating, Walter got on a train sure. It is stated as a fact. Laura on the train however was not.

As for the week letters, we all know things happen for odd reasons. He got letters, but how do we know it wasn't written by some other force, or even in his head?

You're a competitive one arent you?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Walter got on a train sure. It is stated as a fact.
Then you can't say it's impossible for Laura to've done the same thing.

>but how do we know it wasn't written by some other force
That is definitely Mary's name in her own hand-writing...

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
The_Stickman
Just Passing Through

Post by The_Stickman »

>Walter got on a train sure. It is stated as a fact.
Then you can't say it's impossible for Laura to've done the same thing.
Allow me to rephrase. I doubt the universal way to get to Silent Hill is by a train when you're a child. I was simply doubting Laura used the same method. If she is real.
>but how do we know it wasn't written by some other force
That is definitely Mary's name in her own hand-writing...
Oh come on. Do you really believe what you see in that game? In Silent Hill you step in an elevator that mysteriously pops up with another button on the floor. Just because he see's that it is in her handwritting, doesn't trully mean its hers.
Dr. Gordon
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Dr. Gordon »

James and Eddie both talked to her. That's enough for me to show she's real.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.
The_Stickman
Just Passing Through

Post by The_Stickman »

Dr. Loomis wrote:James and Eddie both talked to her. That's enough for me to show she's real.
I don't know, I have learned that nothing is black and white in Silent Hill.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

The_Stickman wrote: Oh come on. Do you really believe what you see in that game? In Silent Hill you step in an elevator that mysteriously pops up with another button on the floor. Just because he see's that it is in her handwritting, doesn't trully mean its hers.
I absolutely, 100% hate when someone says something like this as a tool in a debate. It's usually in defense of a theory that has a foundation of soft mud. It assumes things that are in no way indicated as being possible in the game... Mary having delusions and "creating" a little buddy to pal with?

The ambiguity of Silent Hill 2 is nice because it allows for a pliable series of explanations. It's not so nice because now anyone can come up with some half-cocked theory and justify it with the idea that anything is possible.

Please click this link and study carefully.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Do you really believe what you see in that game?
Most of the time, yes. You're example is from the [otherside], in Silent Hill 1, an entirely different game from the one being discussed. You've yet to prove to me, in any way, that a) Laura isn't real, and b) Mary died three years ago.

James & Mary visited Silent Hill three years ago; she didn't die then. James says it himself, again: This place hasn't changed at all in three years.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
The_Stickman
Just Passing Through

Post by The_Stickman »

alone in the town wrote:
The_Stickman wrote: Oh come on. Do you really believe what you see in that game? In Silent Hill you step in an elevator that mysteriously pops up with another button on the floor. Just because he see's that it is in her handwritting, doesn't trully mean its hers.
I absolutely, 100% hate when someone says something like this as a tool in a debate. It's usually in defense of a theory that has a foundation of soft mud. It assumes things that are in no way indicated as being possible in the game... Mary having delusions and "creating" a little buddy to pal with?

The ambiguity of Silent Hill 2 is nice because it allows for a pliable series of explanations. It's not so nice because now anyone can come up with some half-cocked theory and justify it with the idea that anything is possible.

Please click this link and study carefully.

Fair enough, I know what you mean. And I am trying not to veer in that direction. Basically I am just asking him to be a bit more open-minded. While anyone can throw out a theory with the mentality of "Silent Hill is something way different, do not believe anything you see." you have to take into account Silent Hill was never that black and white.
The_Stickman
Just Passing Through

Post by The_Stickman »

the Adversary wrote:>Do you really believe what you see in that game?
Most of the time, yes. You're example is from the [otherside], in Silent Hill 1, an entirely different game from the one being discussed. You've yet to prove to me, in any way, that a) Laura isn't real, and b) Mary died three years ago.

James & Mary visited Silent Hill three years ago; she didn't die then. James says it himself, again: This place hasn't changed at all in three years.
With the ammount of mentally disturbed characters in the game, sometimes I find it hard to believe, in the things they see/say. Usually that tends to lead to my theories other times I let it go. If this continues we will go in circles. Thank you for all of your past opinions though. :)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I believe Laura to be real, I also think that Mary dies a short time before the game (though knowing exactly when, I'm less concrete on). James doesn't understand what has just happened to Mary because he can't deal with it. His journey through Silent Hill helps him realise the truth. Laura definately could be an entity of silent hill but to what end? Laura is just a lost girl looking for a mother figure, Mary. This search will lead to her meeting James.

Then there's the leave ending.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Don't double-post. Use the EDIT button.

>Basically I am just asking him to be a bit more open-minded.
I am. I've been analyzing the Silent Hill series since '99, and I've gone through every possible explanation over those years on my own; and have explored every possibility.

That said: I have quite an open mind. I've entertained the notion that Laura is a manifestation of Mary's; I've even gone so far as to suggest that Mary is The Snake. But I've reached the conclusion: Laura is real. She exists. She always has.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

James doesn't remember or know Laura because the reality of the last three years of his life has been jumbled and distorted.

If he can forget killing his wife before dinner last night, I'm pretty sure he can forget her little friend in the hospital he heard about briefly.

Laura is real. Eddie clearly associates with her. If she weren't real, she'd be manifested in another form to whoever is seeing her, at least. Laura is Laura.

Oh, you also can't photograph someone who isn't real.

Mary was smothered through the night before the game takes place.
The confusion with dying three years ago is that James is displacing the events in his mind. Three years ago when she was diagnosed, James marked that at the point that Mary "died"...because she started behaving as someone else. Mary was James' life, and essentially, when she become ill, his life died. He doesn't want to recognize the hard troubles and years they faced together during the sickness. It's easier to say she just died before it all happened.

I think the originator of this post is totally overlooking the point that Laura is the STABILITY of the plot. She is there to establish a sense of reality(she isnt manipulated by the town) to tell the truthful story in a setting that hardly operates on logic and reality. Laura is there to determine what events are real and what are not. Laura is a huge plot device that makes the revelation work. James can always lie to himself and displace the events and scenery, misleading the player of the game. With Laura there, who is connected to the events in James' past, the player and James himself recieve concerete verification that the events in the plot twist were real, and not another delusion.