Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 14 Dec 2019

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Jan 2010
Notes left: 59
Last seen at: Arkham Asylum
Not exactly, it resembles a burnt and waterlogged hotel, but according to the game, there was an article or something that said the hotel burnt to the ground a year ago. The actual hotel is just ash.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
>The actual hotel is just ash.
Not true. The hotel as it exists in reality looks just like it does to James in the end. Even Maria knows when she tells him, "The Lakeview Hotel? Yeah, it's still there. . . ."

Before then, James sees the hotel as it did three years ago. After exiting the prison, and ends up on the dock, James essentially went back in time three years.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

But I am pretty sure I read somewhere that it had burnt to the ground, but whatever.

Last edited by HarleyQuinnofHate on 29 Mar 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11384
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
>The actual hotel is just ash.
Not true. The hotel as it exists in reality looks just like it does to James in the end. Even Maria knows when she tells him, "The Lakeview Hotel? Yeah, it's still there. . . ."

Wait, what? Even if the burnt hotel was still standing, how would Maria's word mean one thing or another? She doesn't explain "Yea, it's burnt to shit, but it's still standing", for all we know she meant "Yea, it's standing exactly as it was three years ago (because that's what you believe and I'm one big ass lie lol)"

RESPECT
 Post subject:

>I am pretty sure I read somewhere that it had burnt to the ground, but whatever.
Nothing official. There's a reason on the first floor employee area, after watching the videotape, James can see yellow tape blocking certain areas. If the hotel had been burned to ash, there'd be no reason to show an empty shell of a hotel.

>Wait, what?
Subtext is a beautiful thing. You can see it in her face, you can hear it in her voice.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Mar 2009
Notes left: 1345
Last seen at: Ann Arbor, Michigan
If Laura is in the real town, and sees the burnt Lakeview just as it exists in the real town, then how is she hitting piano keys and drawing pictures on glass doors?

RESPECT
 Post subject:

>If Laura is in the real town, [. . .] how is she hitting piano keys and drawing pictures on glass doors?
She's in the real town at the moment as it was three years ago, just like James.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2301
the piano didnt burn, and theirs ash on the windows, which is how she drew on them.

Post subject:

It's not ash, it's just frost from the mist.

Also, way to dodge the question, MMY.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

I answered the question. Way to not comprehend.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Saying "subtext" isn't much of a meaningful answer.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

If you read past the first word, you'd realize there's an entire sentence following it. Two, even.

If you comprehended said suggestion, you would probably take the necessary steps to understand.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
MMY wrote:
There's a reason on the first floor employee area, after watching the videotape, James can see yellow tape blocking certain areas.

In fact, the tape says "Keep Out [symbol] Fire." Saw this last night while wrapping up a playthrough to show a friend of mine.

Obviously, it's isn't a one-to-one corroboration with reality, as no hotel I've ever been to has teleporting doors, but I think it's a fairly good approximation. Otherwise, why have the tape if there are many other ways to imply that the hotel not only burned but collapsed?

Post subject:

only james sees the hotel asi t was 3 years ago, when he was there. laura has no reason to delusionalize the hotel, as it holds no significance for her to do that.
She sees the hotel as what it is; burned out.
She, nor does anyone else, see through james's eyes. And its logical to assume its ash on the windows, but i never thought of mist condensation, pretty smart.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

It's not logical to assume ash is on the window b/c James is still in the hotel from the past, as is Laura. James even says, "This place hasn't changed at all in three years." Therefore there wouldn't be any ash on the window b/c it has yet to burn down.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

I think he is talking about it from Laura's perspective.

But I think the reason she can draw on the window and play the piano is because her and James' worlds are colliding of sorts. It has been hypothesized that her world is just empty, so that would explain the lack of monsters in that area. I'd say its mist water vapor etc from the lake.

Post subject:

thats correct from her perspective.

Post subject:

Quote:
>Wait, what?
Subtext is a beautiful thing. You can see it in her face, you can hear it in her voice.

This does not answer the question I asked in any meaningful way. It's just cryptic, and without clarification, I can interpret it in many different ways with no certainty of what you intended me to take from it.

Appealing to Maria's comment in her first cutscene doesn't shed any light on it either, as her statement "Yea, it's still there" can mean quite a few things.

Quote:
only james sees the hotel asi t was 3 years ago, when he was there. laura has no reason to delusionalize the hotel, as it holds no significance for her to do that.

Yes, she does. Laura sees the town as Mary remembers it: A beautiful, serene, and quiet place. Come now, don't you think Laura would've commented if she was in an ashy, burnt down wreck? How would she play piano?

Post subject:

theres nothing said that it burnt to the ground.
its possible it partially burned, and the piano was still intact, although probably outta tune, due to neglect and the possible heat.

Post subject:

It did burn up, though. Why would Laura look for Mary in a burned up building, and play with a busted piano? Especially since every place else she checked was pretty much perfectly intact, if empty.

Also, burned buildings tend not to have windows you can draw on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next