Beyond the flaming staircase... *possible spoilers*

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

HarleyQuinnofHate
Just Passing Through

Post by HarleyQuinnofHate »

Not exactly, it resembles a burnt and waterlogged hotel, but according to the game, there was an article or something that said the hotel burnt to the ground a year ago. The actual hotel is just ash.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>The actual hotel is just ash.
Not true. The hotel as it exists in reality looks just like it does to James in the end. Even Maria knows when she tells him, "The Lakeview Hotel? Yeah, it's still there. . . ."

Before then, James sees the hotel as it did three years ago. After exiting the prison, and ends up on the dock, James essentially went back in time three years.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
HarleyQuinnofHate
Just Passing Through

But I am pretty sure I read somewhere that it had burnt to the ground, but whatever.
Last edited by HarleyQuinnofHate on 29 Mar 2010, edited 1 time in total.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

>The actual hotel is just ash.
Not true. The hotel as it exists in reality looks just like it does to James in the end. Even Maria knows when she tells him, "The Lakeview Hotel? Yeah, it's still there. . . ."
Wait, what? Even if the burnt hotel was still standing, how would Maria's word mean one thing or another? She doesn't explain "Yea, it's burnt to shit, but it's still standing", for all we know she meant "Yea, it's standing exactly as it was three years ago (because that's what you believe and I'm one big ass lie lol)"
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I am pretty sure I read somewhere that it had burnt to the ground, but whatever.
Nothing official. There's a reason on the first floor employee area, after watching the videotape, James can see yellow tape blocking certain areas. If the hotel had been burned to ash, there'd be no reason to show an empty shell of a hotel.

>Wait, what?
Subtext is a beautiful thing. You can see it in her face, you can hear it in her voice.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

If Laura is in the real town, and sees the burnt Lakeview just as it exists in the real town, then how is she hitting piano keys and drawing pictures on glass doors?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>If Laura is in the real town, [. . .] how is she hitting piano keys and drawing pictures on glass doors?
She's in the real town at the moment as it was three years ago, just like James.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SHF

Post by SHF »

the piano didnt burn, and theirs ash on the windows, which is how she drew on them.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's not ash, it's just frost from the mist.

Also, way to dodge the question, MMY.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I answered the question. Way to not comprehend.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Saying "subtext" isn't much of a meaningful answer.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

If you read past the first word, you'd realize there's an entire sentence following it. Two, even.

If you comprehended said suggestion, you would probably take the necessary steps to understand.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

MMY wrote:There's a reason on the first floor employee area, after watching the videotape, James can see yellow tape blocking certain areas.
In fact, the tape says "Keep Out [symbol] Fire." Saw this last night while wrapping up a playthrough to show a friend of mine.

Obviously, it's isn't a one-to-one corroboration with reality, as no hotel I've ever been to has teleporting doors, but I think it's a fairly good approximation. Otherwise, why have the tape if there are many other ways to imply that the hotel not only burned but collapsed?
SHF

Post by SHF »

only james sees the hotel asi t was 3 years ago, when he was there. laura has no reason to delusionalize the hotel, as it holds no significance for her to do that.
She sees the hotel as what it is; burned out.
She, nor does anyone else, see through james's eyes. And its logical to assume its ash on the windows, but i never thought of mist condensation, pretty smart.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

It's not logical to assume ash is on the window b/c James is still in the hotel from the past, as is Laura. James even says, "This place hasn't changed at all in three years." Therefore there wouldn't be any ash on the window b/c it has yet to burn down.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
HarleyQuinnofHate
Just Passing Through

I think he is talking about it from Laura's perspective.

But I think the reason she can draw on the window and play the piano is because her and James' worlds are colliding of sorts. It has been hypothesized that her world is just empty, so that would explain the lack of monsters in that area. I'd say its mist water vapor etc from the lake.
SHF

Post by SHF »

thats correct from her perspective.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

>Wait, what?
Subtext is a beautiful thing. You can see it in her face, you can hear it in her voice.
This does not answer the question I asked in any meaningful way. It's just cryptic, and without clarification, I can interpret it in many different ways with no certainty of what you intended me to take from it.

Appealing to Maria's comment in her first cutscene doesn't shed any light on it either, as her statement "Yea, it's still there" can mean quite a few things.
only james sees the hotel asi t was 3 years ago, when he was there. laura has no reason to delusionalize the hotel, as it holds no significance for her to do that.
Yes, she does. Laura sees the town as Mary remembers it: A beautiful, serene, and quiet place. Come now, don't you think Laura would've commented if she was in an ashy, burnt down wreck? How would she play piano?
SHF

Post by SHF »

theres nothing said that it burnt to the ground.
its possible it partially burned, and the piano was still intact, although probably outta tune, due to neglect and the possible heat.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It did burn up, though. Why would Laura look for Mary in a burned up building, and play with a busted piano? Especially since every place else she checked was pretty much perfectly intact, if empty.

Also, burned buildings tend not to have windows you can draw on.