Beyond the flaming staircase... *possible spoilers*

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Milquetoast
Just Passing Through

Post by Milquetoast »

Also, Laura was a bit of a whiner, I doubt she would've been able to keep from complaining if it was burnt, even partially
Sometimes, and atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja? Except that one. That one is a f*cking c*ck, you sick sh*t.
SHF
Historical Society Historian

Post by SHF »

the house next to mine is abandoned, bcuz it burned. Only partially though, and the windows are very much intact. Its not like someone bombed the hotel, then all the windows ( or almost all of them) would be shattered.
And if you notice with the hospital too, it seems in good condition, until later when james sees its true, derelict form. And i believe laura did see the pics mary showed her. But that doesnt mean she is hallucinating like james.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

Actually, I'm beginning to think MMY is right with the whole Maria "It's still there" comment.

Why would she say it's still there if the hotel burned up, which it did? Normally, if someone were to ask me if a particular building was still in town, but I know it's closed down by fire, I'd say something like, "It's shut down due to fire damage." I wouldn't say that it still exists as a building, and I would definitely mention the fire damage. However, Maria mentions that it's still there, with a lilt in her voice that makes it seem she's holding in a chuckle. Basically, Maria is saying, "Yeah, it's still on the lake, but it's not the real Lakeview Hotel as it currently exists."

Damn, got some mad respect for that voice actress for squeezing so much context into a single sentence.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

the house next to mine is abandoned, bcuz it burned. Only partially though, and the windows are very much intact. Its not like someone bombed the hotel, then all the windows ( or almost all of them) would be shattered.
Why I said what I said is that in many cases of house burnings, the glass warps and is no longer perfectly smooth, or in some case it actually breaks from the heat. And that's assuming the glass isn't manually removed afterwards.
And if you notice with the hospital too, it seems in good condition, until later when james sees its true, derelict form. And i believe laura did see the pics mary showed her. But that doesnt mean she is hallucinating like james.
The original hospital is it's "true form" if anything. What hospital, derelict or otherwise, looks like the hospital does after it's shift?

Laura is hallucinating; the town is empty of people for her when it's populated in reality. She can walk through any building she wants without being stopped by anyone, and she plays with dolls and teddy bears that obviously aren't there in reality.

Although, I wouldn't call it hallucinating, per se. It's not that she and the others are hallucinating so much as they are in an alternate universe.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
HarleyQuinnofHate
Just Passing Through

Post by HarleyQuinnofHate »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Why I said what I said is that in many cases of house burnings, the glass warps and is no longer perfectly smooth, or in some case it actually breaks from the heat. And that's assuming the glass isn't manually removed afterwards.
The original hospital is it's "true form" if anything. What hospital, derelict or otherwise, looks like the hospital does after it's shift?

Laura is hallucinating; the town is empty of people for her when it's populated in reality. She can walk through any building she wants without being stopped by anyone, and she plays with dolls and teddy bears that obviously aren't there in reality.

Although, I wouldn't call it hallucinating, per se. It's not that she and the others are hallucinating so much as they are in an alternate universe.
^ That.

And, the fact that everyone else is hallucination, well in there own universe where they occasionally collide. Why would Laura be any different? She obviously isn't running around a populated Silent Hill full of tourists and such, they wouldn't let her go into hospital rooms or hotels by herself.

I know I read this before, but how did we figure out that Laura sees just an empty town. I know she says there is no monsters or something, but why empty? Either way, I still agree that she sees nothing and what she does is from Mary's stories picture etc.
MAvulture
Just Passing Through

Post by MAvulture »

I always imagined that in SH2, although the people you meet are all on their own journey of self discovery, their stories are completely unrelated. There may even be others who James never meets, but who may encounter each other. I always just assumed that the world is different for each of them - for her, there were no flames. She just continued onward to her fate, most likely death at the hands of the monstrous version of her father.

I always assumed that everyone meets this significant monster, and is eventually killed - I think for Eddie, James was his final boss, but appeared as some sort of authority figure who was important to him (perhaps a teacher or father, just as James saw Maria as an alternate Mary) which is why Eddie felt the need to explain himself to James.

The only reason we played as James was that his was the only story that had a chance of ending differently.
--Master of the moon--
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I always just assumed that the world is different for each of them - for her, there were no flames.
Er, I think that it's heavily implied that the flames are Angela's world, not James'; it doesn't fit in otherwise.
I think for Eddie, James was his final boss, but appeared as some sort of authority figure who was important to him
Doesn't Eddie speak to James as if he knew him, but only from Silent Hill? It's been a while so I'm a bit fuzzy...
Last edited by Yuki on 05 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

Yuki wrote:Doesn't Eddie speak to James as if he knew him, but only from Silent Hill? It's been a while so I'm a bit fuzzy...
Yup he does.
Eddie: I knew it, you too. You're just like them James
and
Eddie: You've been laughing at me all along, haven't you? Ever since we first met. I'll kill you James!

As well as that, Eddie keeps referring to James as James in the meat storage locker.
^^
MAvulture
Just Passing Through

Post by MAvulture »

Yeah its been a long time since I played it, so im most likely getting confused.

But I remember coming up with that theory for a reason... I guess I have to go through it again to refresh my memory.
--Master of the moon--
MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MistahJ »

I believe that Angela continues to climb those stairs for the rest of eternity.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

(somethinglacking on Discord)
HarleyQuinnofHate
Just Passing Through

That what I used to think and a lot of people do.

This is pure opinion, but I like to think that Angela has some sort of resolve much like James, whether it be fighting her father in monster form or whatever, but I like to think that people are brought to Silent Hill (in the second one at least) to confront something they did, we find that everyone, except Laura, has murdered someone or something.

If people are brought or called or whatever to the town, I would think there would be a way resolve it like with what happened with James and Mary. It would only make sense that Angela would have the same choices, wondering around looking for her family or realize what really happened to them.

I think that she chose to either kill herself or just wondered around probably never getting to that final confrontation.

Again, just another way of looking at it.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Killing herself would be most probable, but the creators left it up to the imagination of the player, a lot like the endings.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^Why? If she wanted to kill herself why go through the trouble of collecting her father and brother?
HarleyQuinnofHate
Just Passing Through

I haven;t played in a bit, what do you mean collecting her father and brother? I know she was looking for her Mum, but father and brother?
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Harrys_Girl wrote:^Why? If she wanted to kill herself why go through the trouble of collecting her father and brother?
She killed her father out of rage. She probably became suicidal after going to Silent Hill, hence contemplating the act in front of the mirror.
Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Drainage64 »

I always thought Angela reflected the opposite of what happens to James. She refuses to face her problems unlike James who does in the end. She lacks a resolve and since James refuses her the knife, she can not end escape her problems so she is doomed to spend eternity in her suffering. It's also interesting that when she asks if James was saving the knife for him self, he responds (I'd never kill myself) which is
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
foreshadowing of the possible ending of him killing himself
Eddie works in a similar way, He becomes a remorseless killer, Instead of facing his problems he ends up delighting in his problems and tries to justify himself rather then face the consequences for his actions. This is reflective of James in a way, James has also killed but opposite of Eddie, He feels the guilt of what he has done and ends up repressing the memories of it instead of dealing with it.
James also tells Eddie that he would never kill some one even though he finds out that he has. This is foreshadowed by the irony of his killing Eddie.

Well I'm tired so there's probably an error in this somewhere but it's just opinion on it.
-=Let's Positive thinking=-
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

simeonalo wrote:She killed her father out of rage. She probably became suicidal after going to Silent Hill, hence contemplating the act in front of the mirror.
Maybe I miss worded. It was not Angela's choice to go back. Her father found her and dragged her back to the town after she ran away. She wanted nothing more than to go on living away from her family, not just to end her life. If she wanted to kill herself, she could have done that long before graduating high school and running off. It was only after her family found her that she killed her father and brother, then sought out her mother--to be sure they wouldn't come looking for her again. She killed her father and brother when they found her outside Silent Hill then the town "called" her back because of her guilt/insanity, then once there she went looking for her mother.
nobody
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by nobody »

I don't think she killed her brother.
there's comfort in silence
SHF

Post by SHF »

Me neither, and if she lived in silent hill already, and was called back, then where did she live? in the apartments?
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

It's stated as a possibility by James. Notice the red blood stain on the floor of the mirror-room that could be Thomas Orosco's blood mark.