Laura simply isn't real. My theory. (Spoilers)

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

And then there's that whole issue of the Aglaophotis being almost IMPOSSIBLE to find, and Heather seems to have a jewel containing it...it has to be the liquid Harry had from SH1, but never used.

And Cybil isn't mentioned anywhere in SH3...I don't see how anyone can see a world like that and seperate from the other survivors to go and try to lead a normal life. Cybil would have been a part of it, she couldn't just desert Harry and Heather.

She definately bought it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

If you think that Harry wouldn't throw the Aglaophotis on Cybil's face because it might burn or blind, remember she was possessed and Harry had to defend himself. :)

Seriously though I agree I don't see how she could survive and not be mentioned in SH3, also the story of SH3 kinda goes with the ending where she dies.
Goodnight
Historical Society Historian

Post by Goodnight »

She definately bought it.

Isn't that pretty much the "offical" word on it, anyhow?

I agree it's the most logical outcome, though.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Godzilla wrote:
Skele wrote: but sometimes it seems like some folks here act as if the people in Silent Hill are real people with real lives.
That's a perfectly valid thing to do. Look at the way professional english professors discuss the idea that Hamlet has an Oedipus complex.
To a certain extent. it's just kinda crazy when people start new theories/threads based on assumed actions these characters do outside of the game.

also yeah i've seen halo fans. it's not pretty
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Okay, I only read this thread down to the end of the first page, but here's what I think:

Eddie is real. I believe that completely, I won't be deterred from that. Eddie talks to Laura, and is even insulted by Laura (come to think of which, Laura's lucky Eddie didn't shoot her).. obviously the conversation between them shows that she's real.. if not, how could Eddie be talking to her? And if she's some kind of crazy memory of Mary's, how did she come to be manifested? Mary's presence is distinctly lacking in the game, because she's dead, and there is only Maria. (unless you get the Maria ending).

Ah... that's just the way I see it... if Mary is gone then how did one of her memories embody itself?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Mary's presence is distinctly lacking in the game
Incorrect. Mary's presence is everywhere in Silent Hill 2.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

Mary's presence is distinctly lacking in the game

How so? Mary's influence is felt everywhere; in the monsters, in the appearance of the town itself, in the 'Otherworld', in her diary... I don't really think there are many places Mary isn't present.
As T.A has said many times, all the places Mary held as significant convert to the 'Otherworld'.
Monobrow
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monobrow »

Hmmm

I always sort of thought that Laura may have somehow hitched a ride with Eddie.
After all, there's the unused cinematic where Eddie and Laura are sitting by a van, until Laura gets up and tries to get Eddie moving.

This suggested to me that Eddie may have come to Silent Hill only because of Laura. (though this may not necessarily be true) I think Eddie felt that he needed somewhere to hide, and Laura needed to get to Silent Hill somehow. Yes, she could have taken a train, but she also could have hitched a ride. Eddie also seems like the type of guy to actually do something so dumb, to take a kid somewhere so far away from home and not give a shit. He's not exactly a responsible person.

The van scene also implies to me that Laura wanted Eddie to help her, but decided then and there that he was a "gutless fatso". (Which she later states)...This also may explain why Laura seems to know Eddie's story before you see them at the Bowl-O-Rama...

"I thought you said the cops were after you...." (or something like that)

Who knows, he may have told her this on their way there, only to reveal that he was just scared later on, during the pizza conversation.

This also may explain Laura being in the Blue Creek Apartments for seemingly no apparent reason...Maybe she is there because that was where Eddie stopped first.

It also could explain Eddie's reaction about James being concerned with letting Laura leave alone.

"Who? Oh Laura" He doesn't seem to give a shit, because I guess he knows why she's there, and what she's set out to do.

This is just a theory, but I think it's interesting.
No one wins...It's a war of man.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>there's the unused cinematic where Eddie and Laura are sitting by a van
This cinematic has no bearing on the story because it's simply that: An unused version of what the Bowling Alley scene had originally intended to be. Notice that that van is along the way up Nathan Ave., towards Pete's Bowl-O-Rama. The development staff decided to move the scene indoors so that they could prevent Maria from interacting with anyone but James--if they were all just standing outdoors, Laura & Eddie would be forced to somehow interact with Maria.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

I doubt there was a whole story behind the van; as has been mentioned, they probably moved in inside to give a legit reason for Maria to not be seen by either Eddie nor Laura. A lot of outdoors scenes in the game were shifted.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I feel the scene wasn't cut from the opening FMV because it didn't contradict the game...It actually shows Laura and Eddie interacting outside the bowling alley...which I like.
Jedah
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Jedah »

Exactly. Also a known fact from the game is that it seems Laura and Eddie have met/knew each other before the events in the Pete's Bowl O' Rama, which led me to believe and it is an open possibility that Laura and Eddie came together to SH or interacted somewhere within the town. Now the game itself doesn't show us when or where that interaction took place, so the only bit of information were let to see is that scene in the intro movie by the van. I doubt Team Silent left that scene there if it didn't mean anything; I believe they wanted to hint us at that possibility that either they came together or met there for the first time. If it was a scene we were never meant or were never suppose to see, they would had just taken it out completely, but they didn’t.

EDIT:

If you look closely to that intro, I think it is showing us somewhat what every character did before arriving to SH. Here are some of the examples:

James – Carrying Mary’s body
Angela – Running away from Home
Eddie and Laura – Possibly coming together to SH on the white van, which it seems it broke down
[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/jedahpr/banner7v2.jpg[/img]
"The Monster inside of me as grown this big"
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

But seeing as they aren't in the game, their relevance to the game it is today is questionable. Maybe in the Beta version they knew each other beforehand, but in the released version, they do not, just as they show Pyramid Head in the Hospital and in the strees in the Beta, but not in the release, and that didn't end up meaning anything.

Just a thought.
Monobrow
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monobrow »

Goodnight wrote:But seeing as they aren't in the game, their relevance to the game it is today is questionable. Maybe in the Beta version they knew each other beforehand, but in the released version, they do not, just as they show Pyramid Head in the Hospital and in the strees in the Beta, but not in the release, and that didn't end up meaning anything.

Just a thought.
Well, actually, the conversation at Pete's leads me to believe that they did know each other before the bowling alley, at least. As for the extent of how long they knew each other before that, I can't say. But I don't really see anything contradicting them coming to Silent Hill together yet.

All in all though, the Van scene was still a part of the game. It wasn't "just" a beta scene.
No one wins...It's a war of man.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Eh, I dunno.. Personally, I didn't see the introduction movie as that important. It just seemed like a little filler. Something nice and entertaining to watch before you get around to playing the game. Probably one of the only things about the game that might not be analysed.. But I guess the Eddie and Laura van thing may be another way to explain how she managed to get to town.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Goodnight wrote:But seeing as they aren't in the game, their relevance to the game it is today is questionable. Maybe in the Beta version they knew each other beforehand, but in the released version, they do not, just as they show Pyramid Head in the Hospital and in the strees in the Beta, but not in the release, and that didn't end up meaning anything.
It may not be in the game itself, but it was released and was intended for the player to see, thus theres a definite possibility if not probability that the scene at the van is meant to have actually occurred before or after the bowling scene. What the implications of that are though is very ambiguous.
I kick [i]your[/i] ass.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Eddie just met Laura.
"Laura...Is that her name?"
"That's what she said..."

Eddie plainly implies he only knows her in name, recently, not really any other way.

In the intro, James is carrying Maria's body. Team Silent calls that scene just an image from James' mind.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Even if it isn't true about Eddie and Laura arrviving together, they clearly had a conversation and knew a bit about one another. If Laura wasn't real why would that happen? Surely Laura would only try to interact with James. Eddie wouldn't really factor in with that.
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

I completely agree they could have met before the bowling alley. In town.

I understand the possible significance of them being next to a van, but to me it raises a few more questions than it answers, such as:

Why would Eddie, who seems to have a decidedly large chip on his shoulder when it comes to human kind, give a ride to a little girl, even if he's relatively apathetic toward her?

How would two such people meet prior to being in the city? Silent Hill is a pretty obscure destination, and without an elaborate back-story, it doesn’t seem logical that they would have found each other, unless Laura was hitchhiking, in which case, if Laura is from South Ashfield, why wouldn't she have caught a bus?

This isn't a question, but Eddie and Angela's back-stories are quite painstakingly brought to light, while Laura's remains far more ambiguous, despite her key role. If Eddie and Laura had a prior relationship, I'm fairly certain that would have been significant enough to include.

We know Eddie sees his own brand of monster, and Laura does not, so wouldn't Laura, being eight and alone in a strange place, be scared by a paranoid, gun-wielding man who thought there were 'monsters' everywhere? Surely if they had a long-standing relationship she would realise how ill Eddie is?

This also isn't a question, but the van looks to be in the same abandoned, worn condition of the other vehicles. It more looked to me like they were reclining against a generic vehicle, but that's a matter of opinion.

If they were friends, wouldn’t she have been slightly more concerned about Eddie’s welfare, post-demise?

I realise there are any number of good rebukes to my points, but that's just my two cents. I respect everyone else’s opinions, and realise few things can be definitively but to rest on the subject.

I guess I'm the odd one out on this angle.
Last edited by Goodnight on 10 Feb 2006, edited 2 times in total.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

no, you're not. i don't buy that they knew each other, either. making a mountain out of a molehill, really.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.