Uncensored scene (PC version)

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

Visually, I prefer it.

...Audio, not so much. The lack of audio make it better for me. Watch the uncensored one without the headphones in. Looks better.
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

eht_dimaryp-daeh wrote:not too disturbing, shoulda used it in my opinion. Like some of you said...I had no idea what was going on my first playthrough, with this version there would be no doubt.
That's exactly the reason why I'm glad they used the version they did. I liked the fact that I couldn't work out exactly what was going on in that scene at first, that I was left afterwards thinking: holy crap, was that what I think it was?
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
vivica_cherry
Just Passing Through

Post by vivica_cherry »

I think I prefer the original version
SilentCircus
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentCircus »

Maybe the screaming would reinforce the feeling of her suffering. We can't really feel much of the pain when we had the censored one. More like anger during gameplay for PS2.
Yesh, I would like some pepperoni for Cynthia too.
cookerpower
Just Passing Through

Post by cookerpower »

I believe the original fits better but I also think that most of us (or its just me :?: ) didnt actually realise what he was doing at the frst time. I realised it after he told Laura and I was SHOCKED !!!!!!!
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

Kyou wrote:Anyhow, someone ripped off the sound from the PC version SH2 disc along with recording the video from the game combining them into the clip we have just seen.

Good job.
Fungo ripped it.
BurningWitch
Just Passing Through

Post by BurningWitch »

I only have the game for PC.

I've never seen the censored version, I guess.
larry_lovage69
Just Passing Through

Post by larry_lovage69 »

WOW that is something I won't soon forget.....
My Silent Hill/Heroscape Project
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=25196
666theheartless666
Just Passing Through

Post by 666theheartless666 »

When i first played it i thought, because it cut away it was giving more mystery, kindof a "did he smother her or was he getting up to kiss her goodbye" kind of thing.
Now ive replayed it a few times its obvious hes going to kill her but i think with the screams it would have spoilt it an ickle tiny bit.... maybe... :mrgreen:
~I've been to Isaac world, but no one will know that you have~
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

When I first watched that video, I found it incredibly disturbing. I know that being disturbed is part of the whole Silent Hill experience, but... I think it kind of had its pros and cons, when I first played Silent Hill I didn't know what James did and was confused, and the screams kind of clear it up, but.. it's really hard for me to watch that video :?
True
Just Passing Through

Post by True »

Severeth wrote:Visually, I prefer it.

...Audio, not so much. The lack of audio make it better for me. Watch the uncensored one without the headphones in. Looks better.
Agreed. The silence is creepier for me, and makes me feel more sad and whatnot.
FailingCancer
Just Passing Through

Post by FailingCancer »

I'm torn; the sounds make it more obvious what James is doing ( the first time I couldn't make out what was going on) but it does take away from the emotional impact.
cascade88
Historical Society Historian

Post by cascade88 »

Yeah, visually, it's harder to watch, and the screams make it harder to listen to. It gives off a different feel than what's actually there in the game, to me. The silenced version is just creepy and sad to me, and had a bigger impact all around (as has been said).

I can say that the uncut version also makes me feel quite a bit less sympathetic to James's character, considering that he could hear her struggling and screaming... Oh well.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
Bookster
Just Passing Through

Post by Bookster »

When people can't see things, their sense of hearing becomes more acute. And the same applies to what we can see, but can't hear. To be honest the silence of the scene fits the game far better. This game thrives on ambiguity. If you can't hear or see something in this game but are aware of it, it gives you the feeling that you need to see or hear it, or at the very least understand it to some degree. It's a way of keeping you emmersed in the game in a more cerebral way.

Putting the screams and such back into this wouldn't have been a terrible decision, but I think it gives a very subtle but important undertone without the audio, and it fits thematically with what Team Silent was trying to accomplish with this game.
Emzo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Emzo »

The screams were a bit much for me, only because I find watching her die in silence is more...chilling O.O;;
As we've grown to know James' personality as like...loving his wife D:
And the screams made him seem really brutal T_T

Plus all the comments in that video are...interesting o.o;;;;
Like how people are 100% certain he raped her before killing her. I don't really believe that otherwise he might have confessed that in the ending scene. Rather than just saying "I didnt want you to suffer"

But I think Konami made a good move using the censored version ^_^
~| I've Come to Change the Order |~
11x20
Hope House Careworker

Post by 11x20 »

I actually can't watch the uncensored version. I've tried, but it's just way too depressing for me, especially with the screams. I can't imagine what kind of pain someone must go through to sympathy kill their own wife like that... hell, or what someone would experience while doing that. It's just too much.

The version used is classy and terrifying in it's own way, and I'm glad they used a censored one. Shit might have been flipped by conservative anti-video game groups if they went with the uncensored video.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=420479#420479/][img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/404errord/waltersig1.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5020211/1/Afterlife][ e x a m i n e ? ][/url] [url=http://11x20.deviantart.com/][dA][/url] [url=http://11x20.deviantart.com/gallery/#A-F-T-E-R-L-I-F-E][project page][/url]
Emzo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Emzo »

^ Yeah, I see what you mean. It's difficult to watch as its so realistic to hear O.o Well, thats what I thought anyway ^_^;

The silenced version adds more mystery. The screams makes it obvious of whats actually happening.

It's a very hard hitting video O.O
I mean, the emotion behind it, not so much what your actually looking at. [if that makes /any/ sense whatsoever XD]
hdghog
Just Passing Through

Post by hdghog »

The censored version seems more disturbing. But it was kinda neat watching it with the screams :twisted:

By the way, that's a pretty cute avatar Emzo.
Emzo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Emzo »

Yeah, more mystery |D -ominous poof of smoke-
I personally love that kind of horror, so I dont mind either way, as you interpret both in completely different ways O.O;;

And awwww, thanks ^_^
Yours is pretty cool too :3
hdghog
Just Passing Through

Post by hdghog »

Thanks.